Isle of Wight Advice

Telkman

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can offer us some advice on caching (and in general) on a trip to the IOW.

We'll be heading over this Friday afternoon and returning Monday afternoon, armed with nothing but a bus pass and some walking boots.

We're arriving in Ryde and staying in Shanklin.

We're not planning a Dr. Solly style numbers run, but we'd like to take in any good quality caches that people would recommend whilst seeing some of the sights. Obviously we want to spend as little time as possible cooped up in buses, but this will be a necessary evil.

At the moment, the only things we'd decided on were spending a day in the west, visiting the Needles, taking in caches around Totland bay, and a little time in the south around St. Catherines point, visiting the lighthouse.

What else would people recommend/advise?

Many thanks in advance!

Mark + Deb

Edited by Telkman

It will be right on your doorstep-Shanklin chine- is a truly 'magical place', there's a tangible presence about this place <_<

Our hotel is right by the entrance to Shanklin Chine - hopefully the first evening will be spent there and along Shanklin esplanade :wacko:

I'm hoping you can offer us some advice on caching (and in general) on a trip to the IOW.

I was there earlier this month. We did a trip out to the Needles on the Needles Tour open top bus. It drives right up to the Rocket testing area high above the needles. Get off there, and there are two within easy walking distance, both with good views. There are many others around the island, but we never had a chance to do any others so I can't recommend any others.

Have fun!

our favourite caches on the IOW by far were:

GC26D11 Rope Swing Cache - a beautiful little beach that you would never have found otherwise in a month of Sundays. The houseboats on the approach from Ryde are really interesting too. This is one of my favourite caches ever - mainly because we hit the beach at sunset and had the place to ourselves, one of those truly magical moments

GCFA50 The Lord Palmerston - you'll have to pay to get in here if you don't have National Trust membership, but the place is fascinating and worth every penny, and the cache itself is fab! and huuuuge!

GC1E2QB Rylstone Gardens (Shanklin) - a very cool container in a lovely location

Edited by The Chaos Crew
Hello all,

We'll be heading over this Friday afternoon and returning Monday afternoon, armed with nothing but a bus pass and some walking boots.

We're not planning a Dr. Solly style numbers run, but we'd like to take in any good quality caches that people would recommend whilst seeing some of the sights. Obviously we want to spend as little time as possible cooped up in buses, but this will be a necessary evil.

At the moment, the only things we'd decided on were spending a day in the west, visiting the Needles, taking in caches around Totland bay, and a little time in the south around St. Catherines point, visiting the lighthouse.

Many thanks in advance!

Mark + Deb

I'll be on the Isle of Wight for the Bank Holiday weekend with Omally and Hi-Tek. This will be our 4th visit. We'll be camping at Carpenter's Farm, just west of St Helens. There are some very good caches on the island... If you like a challenge, try the Vectis series.

Oh yeah... watch out for scooters; there's a big scooter rally that weekend and they buzz about everywhere.

Edited by Pharisee

Hi, I live here on the Isle of Wight, most of my cache finds are here. Try Vectis E, Culver Monkey Puzzle, Bembridge Fort. These three will give you stunning views over the eastern point of the Island, looking out over Bembridge to the north and Shanklin to the south.

Others to try are the ones around the needles, and the ones around St Catherine's point.

There are a lot of caches in and around Shanklin itself, and if you are staying right near the chine entrance there is one that looks over the chine itself.

Have fun, and I hope the weather improves. If not you'll be able to find me by looking for my ark...

Hello all,

Many thanks in advance!

Mark + Deb

Not certain of the bus logistics but you could try getting the buss to Yarmouth and Walking accross to freshwater up to the needles and getting the bus back from Alum bay.

I got the ferry across to Yarmouth and did aload on bike/ foot a couple of years back cycled back to yarmouth. On foot with a bit of planning it would make a great bus/ walking route great views caches and walking as I remember...

Just my 2 pence worth.

Rylstone Gardens in Shanklin is worth a visit (try the crazy golf whilst there) and it's right against Shanklin Chine - both mentioned above. The coastal path from Ventnor to Steephill Cove is very nice too. Carisbrooke Castle is good, and Godshill a classic touristy spot. I like the beaches along the Military Road in the west; Whale Chine, Atherfield, Brook, Compton. Brighstone Down. All with caches nearby!

Thanks for everyone's advice - in the end, we only picked up seven caches on the island, as we ended up doing more tourist-orientated things than we anticipated! About four more were thwarted by muggles, and a couple of the more challenging ones were blocked by high tides!

We (Omally, Hi-Tek and me) managed a leisurely 51 over the weekend on the Island. I have to admit, I did get wet feet doing GC1RPM4 - Wootton Beach as we hit that one with the tide at it's highest!! Just 2 DNFs and some splendid food and ale. Altogether, a terrific way to spend the bank holiday weekend. Same time next year, then? :):D