GPSMAP 62s "Approaching" Screen

I have turned off the proximity alarms on my GPSMAP 62s, but I keep getting a pop-up screen when I near the cache that says "approaching xxxx". This pop-up blocks my view of the distance I am from the cache until I press enter. This creates a problem when I'm driving to the cache and am trying to figure out where to stop. Does any one know how to stop this pop-up on the GPSMAP 62s?

Thanks

I have turned off the proximity alarms on my GPSMAP 62s, but I keep getting a pop-up screen when I near the cache that says "approaching xxxx". This pop-up blocks my view of the distance I am from the cache until I press enter. This creates a problem when I'm driving to the cache and am trying to figure out where to stop. Does any one know how to stop this pop-up on the GPSMAP 62s?

Thanks

Every Garmin I've had does this and I hate it with a passion. I know I'm approaching it, Watson, no need to state the obvious - though it can be handy while I'm riding my bike and want to know when I'm close to GZ.

Thing to do is to write to Garmin and request it be an option to enable and disable.

Thanks

Yes it is most annoying. Stays there for ~ 10 seconds a total pain.

Thanks

Yes it is most annoying. Stays there for ~ 10 seconds a total pain.

On my 76CSx a quick blip of the enter key removes the pop up.

I guess what is really frustrating to me is that on my GSPMAP60Csx when I turned off the proximity alarm it also stopped the pop-up. I guess in my naive mind the 62s would be just like the 60Csx but with more "bells and whistles". Well, since you could turn off the pop-up on the 60, Garmin should be able to do a software fix on the 62s that would eliminate this annoyance. Does anyone know if this same pop-up problem happens on the Colorados, Oregons and Dakotas?

PS Thanks for the replies. At least now I know that I'm not just brain-dead in not being able to turn off the pop-ups.

Happens on my 60C and my Oregon 450, further, proximity alarm goes off not at a fixed distance from the cache, but based upon a relative rate of approach - assuming at my present walking or cycling speed, I will arrive at GZ in so many seconds. Quite a bigger pain the faster you are approaching GZ and are deciding how soon to dismount or stop a vehicle than when you are walking.

Happens on my 60C and my Oregon 450, further, proximity alarm goes off not at a fixed distance from the cache, but based upon a relative rate of approach - assuming at my present walking or cycling speed, I will arrive at GZ in so many seconds. Quite a bigger pain the faster you are approaching GZ and are deciding how soon to dismount or stop a vehicle than when you are walking.

How true that is ... this particular feature needs to get the boot

Well, I think I may have found a way to disable the Proximity Alarms on the GPSMAP 62s.

Go to the main menu, then proximity alarm, when you get the screen that says “create alarm”, press the menu button on the unit and a screen will come up with the option to “disable all alarms”. I’ve done this but have yet been able to test the results. It looks like it should work; dadgum, I hope so!! :laughing::laughing::P

If anyone is still following this link, here is the solution to the approaching screen problem.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=267551&st=0&p=4602936&fromsearch=1entry4602936

I am running a 2.92 beta on one of my units and I still get the " Arriving Nag Screen " in all of it's full blown nagging glory.

Hitting the enter button gets rid of it immediately, however, I wonder how many " Enter Buttons " I will wear out before they Nag screen is modified or eliminated.