Resisting Geocaching!

cotochris

It may sound weird but hear me out. I am newish to geocashing with 54 found and 1 placed. The temptation is to go to every cache around straight away and and log them. I don't. Why:

I feel that the search is just as important as the find. Some caches I vouch I only go there when walking or cycling. I can just as easily drive but doing a quick drive & find takes out a lot of the pleasure.

Every cache has a story to it, my objective is ito make it memorable and enjoy it the most, I am not rushing into it. It just means that the number of finds does not relate to the commitment of geocaching. :D

Borg comment?

I'm intrigued!

I have to say I have had much fun, especially with TB's & coins. i am making the point in leaving something nice & inexpensive in the caches for the finders. I'm loving the TB's and geocoins but finding many people are enjoying my geocoins too much and not making them travel! <_<

I think I understand what you're saying. I used to feel compelled to go for every cache in whatever area I was in. I eventually realized that I was wasting time in shopping malls that could have been spent in the woods. Now, I will still put the shopping mall caches in my gps, but I'll only hunt them if I'm going there anyway.

i understand what you mean, i just started yesterday, and couldnt resist trying to find all the ones in my immediate neighborhood, which means i have to go farther and farther out to find more, which i would do anyway, but on days that i want a nice close to home find, well ive already been there XD

I wish I would have paced myself when I started. There's SO many caches around my area tho so it was really hard. I biked about 200 of them tho.

I have a crazy tendency to attempt and finish things, so if I saw a cache that I didn't find yet in the middle of, or next too an area where I started caching, I have to go out and get it. It's like a catch-22.

Found about 700 just in my first 3 months. 600 of those were in my first 2 months, I've really had to cut back and pace myself. Well, that and I've started to run out of convenient caches <_< Now everything in at least 3-4+ miles away as the bird flies, so I really have to plan out my trips and maximize my finds while in the area (for gas sake).

A big salute to your willpower and ability to pace yourself :wacko: Enjoy it!

It may sound weird but hear me out. I am newish to geocashing with 54 found and 1 placed. The temptation is to go to every cache around straight away and and log them. I don't. Why:

I feel that the search is just as important as the find. Some caches I vouch I only go there when walking or cycling. I can just as easily drive but doing a quick drive & find takes out a lot of the pleasure.

Every cache has a story to it, my objective is ito make it memorable and enjoy it the most, I am not rushing into it. It just means that the number of finds does not relate to the commitment of geocaching. :unsure:

The beauty of geocaching is that we each play it in our own way. Some cachers go for every published cache as fast as they can. Some are FTF hounds and are bolting out the door the minute a new cache is published. For some, its all about the numbers. Thats fine--we all play differently.

Like you, I like to take my time and enjoy the journey. Before I go out, I research each cache I've targeted. I read the logs, check out the location on the maps, check D/T ratings, size, history, etc. To me, it adds to the anticipation of the hunt and find. I skip many that do not interest me, so my numbers may not get very high, but I have just as much fun as anybody else.

Do it your way...and have fun.