Replacing logs to be nice

rawkhopper

Today I found a nano and the log inside was full. The names were not crammed onto it but I thought it would be nice to replace the log so that it would be all set for the next guy. I kept the old log and sent a note to the cache owner asking if he wanted me to send it to him. I could email it by scanning it or snail mail it which ever he prefers.

Anyway I didn't think much about this until after I left but would anyone get upset by this? I purposefully printed nano, bison, and micro logs so that I could help maintain caches for people. But am I taking to much liberty? Anyway before I do this to too many caches I thought I would ask everyone if this is acceptable.

I was thinking this is a benefit to the game but want others opinions.

Don't do it.

huh?...why not? he just saved you an "owner maintenance" trip

to the OP, yes, we did replace logs, we even replaced missing containers, and last week spent 30 minutes retrieving a cache that somehow got pushed about 2 feet inside a pipe which the person before us logged it as a find saying "yes, its up there but can't get it out" :D

personally i would be grateful to whomever would take it upon themselves to fix my cache

Don't do it.

I would love to know your reason for this. Please elaborate.

BTW Good news is I got a thanks from the CO so all is well that ends well.

I would still love any negative opinions because as I of right now I am inclined to continue doing this until I get a bad outcome.

I recently planned a trip to a cache 300+ miles from my house. I saw that earlier logs indicated the container was cracked badly. I told him ahead of time I would replace the container. He was okay with that. When I got there I realized the log needed to be replace too. So, I just replaced it and told him about later. I didn't hear from him but I can't see how that is a bad thing. Unless, Groundspeak thinks it contributes to lazy CO's.

I am inclined to continue doing this until I get a bad outcome.

Be sure it fits the width -- and even log length for tight Micros. I have two Micros that have very specific log widths. One's a bison tube, and if you use a thinner log sheet, it might be tough to extract. Too wide, and the edges get crushed when you close the container (also making it tough to extract). For either of my Micros, the log won't get full of signatures. I keep track of that. But if I became so incapacitated that I didn't maintain them, I'd be glad to see someone replacing the logs.

Dont do it! Some caches just need to die because the owner isnt caching anymore. Or worse, just plain lazy. We got one that will go for every FTF but dont maintenance his own caches.

Now, I do maintenance some caches out there if I know who they are and their caching maintenance habit. I pay attention of who own the caches before heading out.

All in all, some caches just need to die and let them RIP. No need to keep them alive on life support!

I say don't do it, for the reasons set forth in the post immediately preceeding. If you are leaving the area, the game or if you have a lifestyle change that precludes you from maintaining the cache,then ask one of your local cachers to adopt, maintain or pick up. Geolitter comes from those who leave the area, the game and just say nothing, leaving behind wet logs and saturated contents. We have had locals who moved were injured or worse , who died and there were community efforts to maintain, adopt or pick-up the caches on behalf of that person. It is very simple to post a request in the regional forum. It is not your cache, so don't assume ownership of it, unless very specifically cleared.

Dont do it! Some caches just need to die because the owner isnt caching anymore. Or worse, just plain lazy. We got one that will go for every FTF but dont maintenance his own caches.

Now, I do maintenance some caches out there if I know who they are and their caching maintenance habit. I pay attention of who own the caches before heading out.

All in all, some caches just need to die and let them RIP. No need to keep them alive on life support!

I say don't do it, for the reasons set forth in the post immediately preceeding. If you are leaving the area, the game or if you have a lifestyle change that precludes you from maintaining the cache,then ask one of your local cachers to adopt, maintain or pick up. Geolitter comes from those who leave the area, the game and just say nothing, leaving behind wet logs and saturated contents. We have had locals who moved were injured or worse , who died and there were community efforts to maintain, adopt or pick-up the caches on behalf of that person. It is very simple to post a request in the regional forum. It is not your cache, so don't assume ownership of it, unless very specifically cleared.

I don't think the OP was talking about maintaining an abandoned cache but rather helping out with an active cache that has a day to day type problem.

I don't think the OP was talking about maintaining an abandoned cache but rather helping out with an active cache that has a day to day type problem.

That's the way I read it, too. No cache hider should expect anyone to replace their logs, but I sure wouldn't get upset by it, either.

I always carry replacement logs of all different sizes, different size bags and other supplies needed to to clean or dry a cache. If there is a issue with a cache I clean it, dry it or whatever it takes. I then post in my find log what I have done so that the CO can contact me if he/she feels it necessary. If the main container is damaged in any way I put all the contents into a large bag (if necessary) place it back in the broken container and then post a NM.

I have never had an issue doing this and will continue to do so. Sometimes life just doesn't allow for constant maintenance. I do get that some of the problem is that some people have more caches out than finds. This causes a whole different issue, I personally think people who have caches that constantly have a NM on them should not be allowed to place new ones. Even my son knows that if he can't take care of what he has he doesn't get more/new stuff, this rule applies to the caches he puts out also.

I carry spare logs that are suitable for small caches or larger but I dont carry nano-sized logs. For one thing I dont like to encourage nanos to survive if they are not being maintained properly and, as the OP described, nanos have the issue of what to do with the old log. I dont want to mess aroudn scanning or mailing old logs though I'd imagine that only one in a thousand nano owners would actually want to see an old log.

We were caching in another state and found a cache that had gotten chewed up by an animal, and everything inside was destroyed.

The cache was so bad that we replaced it with a brand new lock and lock that we were planning on hiding someday when we found the right spot.

We took the old container and emailed the owner to let them know what we had done and to see if they wanted it back and to make sure they were okay with what we had done. They wrote back and appreciated it so much that they wanted to meet us. When we got together, they gave us a personal unactivated geocoin!

In this case, the owner was active, so why not help them out? What goes around comes around, and hopefully someday if one of my caches has a problem, someone might fix it if needed.

That said, if a cache is having problems and there are a bunch of DNFs and Needs Maintenances posted on the website and the owner is no longer caching, then yes, a cache like that should be archived.

I carry around some extra logs and baggies to replace those that need, however, I leave the filled log with the cache. I would want someone to do this for me if in the situation. Besides, without being able to sign the log, what proof does anyone have that you were there? I went on two impromptu caches this weekend (didn't have all my supplies with me) and the logs were soaked. I wasn't able to sign either log, but still added them to my "found" caches.

Don't do it.

I would still love any negative opinions because as I of right now I am inclined to continue doing this until I get a bad outcome.

I don't know Mr Packanack's reasoning, but I could tell you mine. My logs are usually made specifically for the container I used. I've found huge "replacement" logbooks jammed into a Nalgene container so that it was nearly impossible to remove it.

I had someone replace a log in one of my ammo boxes and when I went there there to retreive the old one there had to be 100 blank pages left in my original logbook (hey people there are two sides to a sheet of paper). And the replacement log was not of a sort that I would use.

I had someone swap in a new a logbook and when I asked for the original, they claimed they lost it.

Maintenance is my responsibility and I'd rather someone just post a needs maintenance and let me take care of the logbook.

That said, I have replaced logbooks, with the permission of the owner. If it's OK with the owner, go for it.

Edited by briansnat

Don't do it.

I don't know Mr Packanack's reasoning, but I could tell you mine. My logs are usually made specifically for the container I used. I've found huge "replacement" logbooks jammed into a Nalgene container so that it was nearly impossible to remove it.

I had someone replace a log in one of my ammo boxes and when I went there there to retreive the old one there had to be 100 blank pages left in my original logbook (hey people there are two sides to a sheet of paper). And the replacement log was not of a sort that I would use.

I had someone swap in a new a logbook and when I asked for the original, they claimed they lost it.

Maintenance is my responsibility and I'd rather someone just post a needs maintenance and let me take care of the logbook.

That said, I have replaced logbooks, with the permission of the owner. If it's OK with the owner, go for it.

For the record I would not remove a log if a new one would fit along side the old one. I would never replace a log without the full intention of sending to or scanning it for the owner. I am mostly talking about the smaller caches. The larger caches unless the logbook is destroyed with water can always be signed. I have yet to see an actual logbook that I couldn't squeeze my name onto.

If I see that I can squeeze my name on and a few more can get squeezed on then I would probably not replace it. The exception I feel that overrides that would be with a destroyed log. If a log is pretty much pulp and signing with a Sharpee is even a problem then I would not feel bad throwing the log away and putting in a new one.

Don't do it.

This has been my experience.

When the log is wet, missing, or otherwise damaged; I think that most cache owners appreciate it when you replace the log. I keep the old one and offer to give it to the cache owner if they want it; even if the log is icky. However, there are some that would prefer to do their own cache maintenance and this is fine. Over time you'll get to know who it is in your area that has this preference and who doesn't.

When the log is full: I usually do not replace this because many cache owners seem to want to come and get their full log. I know that I prefer to replace my own full logs. However, I will often add a small amount of paper if the cache is large enough to accomodate it so that I can sign, and that others can sign until the cache owner gets there. In the case of a nano, I would first try to find anyway that I could squish my name onto the log, and I would send an email to the Cache owner.

In the past I have replaced a couple of destroyed wet nano logs, but I've not replaced a full one without the owner's consent, and sometimes they will give you consent to change it out, but I feel like it's better to be safe than sorry. Owners seem to react differently to full logs as opposed to wet or damaged ones; and some cache owners don't like folks changing out either.

My personal preference? I don't mind if people change out a wet log (although I haven't had this happen yet, my logs tend to stay dry, or I catch them before they get wet), but I probably would prefer that someone not replace a full log and that instead they post a NM log or email me.

What it all boils down to though, is what you feel is best, and even if you do what a cache owner doesn't like, I find that usually you can work things out through email and make it right.

i decided to take this helpful mantra a step further. i now carry extra logs and cache containers.

when i go out now, if i suspect the cache has been muggled, i place a new container in log where i think the most likely spot is.

:laughing:

I believe that protocol allows you to claim an FTF on the throwdown replacement cache, while congratulating yourself AND thanking the CO for a wonderful cache placement. But, that is another thread. Forget I said anything!

We have added or replaced logs and even 1 cache of a series (because we knew owner and were 100% certain of location). We have received thanks or no response. No negative comments so far.

I believe we should help each other when we can.

I am new only been a month since i joined. But i have come across caches where the log is completely destoyed by water and cannot write on it or read names. I replaced the logs and when i logged my visit on line told that i replaced log and why. Have not received any bad comments but have got thanks from cache owners for replacing logs. So i will keep doing it.

If it seems to be a well-maintained cache that just happens to have a full logbook when you're there, then replacing it is a courteous thing to do. Only the most humourless, unforgiving cache puritan would frown on cachers helping each other out in this way.

I agree. I've replaced a log (and baggie) in a cache that was otherwise in good shape. I didn't bother on one or two others where the container was in such bad shape a new log would just get soaked right away.

And, if there was room for both old and new logs, I'd add a log and not remove the old.

Edited by Mosaic55

Not much sense in replacing the log until the problem that caused it has been rectified.

I found a few caches that only get a few find a year and everytime someone find it, they have to put in another piece of paper so they can logged it. :laughing: Those type of cache needs to be archived. I am not shy to archived someone cache if I find a long history of soak wet logs or reading logs that someone always have to pour water out of the container.