Signal Strength in Urban Areas

Followers 2

Hey everyone!

I'm a newbie cacher (I now have 57 finds under my belt) from Northern Virginia, outside of Washington, D.C. In and around me are many, many urban caches, however, there are also a great deal of tall buildings.

I currently use a Garmin E-trex Legend which I know is a lower-end model. Here is my question; will I obtain more accurate readings in and around tall buildings if I upgrade to a better model? I get so much signal bounce and horribly inaccurate readings in urban situations and it's driving me nuts not being able to find these types of caches.

If upgrading won't help, can you offer any hints or tricks in finding urban caches?

Thanks for your help!

MinusDanCubed

Here is my question; will I obtain more accurate readings in and around tall buildings if I upgrade to a better model?

Yes, models with better antennae will work better in city conditions.

You should be able to pick up a Garmin Map 60CX or 60CSX for a song now that the 62 series is out.

Even the best models won't give you the same degree of accuracy that you will get out in the open. But they will be better.

Until then here's what I found to help (I cached DC a while ago and had little trouble, even for the few just north of the mall).

Get as far away from the buildings as possible (i.e. in the middle of the street if you dare) and walk the center line. Watch the needle until it points at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock and note the distance. Then pace it off toward the building. After that, it's the geosenses that will help you.

Here is my question; will I obtain more accurate readings in and around tall buildings if I upgrade to a better model?

Yes, models with better antennae will work better in city conditions.

You should be able to pick up a Garmin Map 60CX or 60CSX for a song now that the 62 series is out.

I have a oregon 550 and its pretty much useless in downtown phoenix. i generally avoid the downtown caches.

my other gps is equally useless where tall buildings are[garmin etrex venture HC]