Injury

sdrawkcab

Well today I was out in the 105 degree Texas heat with the family grabbing a few P&G's and one new Mystery cache. When I decided to take a dive and taste the concrete. Lady SdrawkcaB said we should go to the ER and have it looked at. I promised that if it was still bleeding in the morning I would go to our regular doctor.

Was wandering about our worst Injurys in the field. Not sure how to post Images so I will just put a link to the cache. You can read it and look at the Pics if you want. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f-216de662a572#

Cache on.... but careful. LOL :P

Well today I was out in the 105 degree Texas heat with the family grabbing a few P&G's and one new Mystery cache. When I decided to take a dive and taste the concrete. Lady SdrawkcaB said we should go to the ER and have it looked at. I promised that if it was still bleeding in the morning I would go to our regular doctor.

Was wandering about our worst Injurys in the field. Not sure how to post Images so I will just put a link to the cache. You can read it and look at the Pics if you want. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f-216de662a572#

Cache on.... but careful. LOL :P

Stickerbushes... I've done a few hard terrain challenges but was lucky enough to not get hurt. Hopefully I'll eventually get hurt for bragging rights, but I rarely do hard terrain challenges though...

Once I bent over a guardrail to get a better look at the backside. My focus was on the guardrail, so I didn't see the small tree trunk that had been whittled to a point by a weedwhacker. Got me smack in the middle of my forehead. A few inches either way, and it would have gotten my eye. As I bled all over the parking lot, my daughter grabbed a roll of paper towels from the car, and a band aid from the caching bag.

The other mishap was when I walked past some goldenrod on the trail and go stung by a bee on the back of my leg.

If I didn't draw blood on my caching hikes then I didn't have any fun. My DNA is all over the mountains and hills around here. I'm beginning to think that "bloodletting" has something to it!

I agree there but next time I think I would rather let it flow from the arms and legs not from a busted lip or a gash thats a inch and a half from my nose. :wacko: . Plus my co-workers are enjoying my pain... They all say that the nose is broken. At least I was able to go back the same afternoon and find the cache.... :wacko: I think there is something wrong with me! LOL <_<

Just yesterday, tried to do an FTF run on a multicache. Pulled up at the starting location, and there was another car parked...so it was a STF run. Did what I thought was minor brushwhacking trying to find the second stage, certainly nothing serious. As I'm looking for the container, the cacher in front of me shows up on her way back after finishing the cache. We had met a few times before, so it wasn't any big deal like running into a stranger in the middle of nowhere, or anything. But as we were talking, she had this look of fear on her face, and kinda was worried about something. About then I realized my arms were largely covered with blood from the elbows down from the several scratches I earned plowing through the sumac! I must've looked like an axe murderer or something! :wacko:<_< I'm pretty sure she wanted to go get her first aid kit, or call an ambulance or maybe the cops. I reassured her I was okay, and when I started to leave for the final stage, she looked like she thought she might need to come with me so when I finally bled to death along the trail...OK, so I looked pretty bad, even by my standards! :wacko:

I have a feeling she'll be looking for the red truck at the next FTF run! :wacko::wacko:

While on a geocaching hike I broke my left arm in three places at the elbow... all three bones

Found 10 more caches and resolved several DNF's on the way to the ER. One must have priorities!

OK, THAT beats my story!

Barely one month into geocaching, I slipped on a hill and heard a loud crack. Alone and a mile from my car, I fashioned a crutch from a tree branch and took several hours to hobble back. I drove to the ER and learned that I had indeed broken my ankle. It was a full week before I resumed geocaching on crutches, with my leg in a cast.

Shortly after, this story was featured on Podcacher's Hazards of Geocaching episode, with plenty of examples of what NOT to do when geocaching!

Mainly it's my pride that gets injured. But, I did slip on some leaves once going down hard and twisting a leg badly. Still got the cache though. Limped into work the next day and my colleague said "you should be more careful at your age." Injury to my pride and leg that time! <_<

The OP's pics made me wince - glad the teeth are OK!

This is a great topic. I've been bit by a yucca tree, a bunch of different cacti, slid 35ft or so down a hill and got all scratched up. One of my caching buds was bitten by a rattle snake and I know of a few people breaking bones. Oh yeah I get poison oak 3 times a year. I start to break out just looking at that stuff in a book :unsure: Who says caching isn't dangerous?

Torn ACL and torn miniscus cartlidge. Knee will never be the same again so I'm told. Could be worse though. I once read an article about a cacher that died while caching. From what I recall he was out caching near a cliff and slide on some pine or spruce needles and over the cliff he went. I don't remember his name or how I came across it but if you google it you could probably find the article.

It wasn't caching but yesterday morning I was out running while it was still dark. I tripped over an uneven section of sidewalk and slammed the ground. It was amazingly fast too. One second I was running and then suddenly I was on the ground bleeding. My hands and left leg are rather scrapped up, but my garmin watch is ok. That was my first concern.

Then I wondered how long it would take for my husband to come find me if I sat there pouting about it. In the end I decided that it wouldn't be worth it and kept going.

The awesome part was when I thought it woudl be a good idea to spray water from my water bottle on my hands to clean them up. This was about 3 miles into my run so mostly what I did was shoot salty sweat into it so that was...neat.

Oh and if you live on Queens Road in Charlotte, sorry about the blue language you may have heard at 5:30 yesterday morning. :laughing:

Torn ACL and torn miniscus cartlidge. Knee will never be the same again so I'm told. Could be worse though. I once read an article about a cacher that died while caching. From what I recall he was out caching near a cliff and slide on some pine or spruce needles and over the cliff he went. I don't remember his name or how I came across it but if you google it you could probably find the article.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/Man-dies-af...f-70228277.html

Oh WOW that is just awful.

When having to jump across a shallow ditch, Mr Da Krewe turned to me and said "Remember honey, if you're going to fall, fall forward!" which I promptly did. This past weekend, we were caching in a park and when we split up to find two different caches, he turned to me and said the same thing (of course this time I promptly flipped him off ;) ) and the he tripped over a guidewire. Karma! No serious injuries yet, but we are still young :)

So far, nothing for me, although I'm lucky. I'm in the very small percentage of people who isn't allergic to Poison Ivy, or I probably would have gotten that a few times already.

My wife currently has a big ole bruise on her backside from our hunt this past Sunday. There were two ways to approach the cache. Walking just about 50 feet to the left, and then going down a fairly easy hill with no problem, or going straight ahead and go down a little steeper hill. I chose to go around, she chose to go down the hill. She chose wrong, because she took two steps, her foot hit a pile of leaves, and woosh, she was down, and slid down the rest of the hill. Scared the crap out of me. Two feet to the right, she would have fallen on some nasty rocks. Two feet to the left, she would have fall straight into a mess of thorns. Thankfully she's fine, outside of the bruise.

I've had two memorable (?) incidents--was caching in Williamsburg, VA, in July a few years ago and ended up with chigger bites all over my legs. It seems that since childhood, I've developed an allergy and ended up with silver-dollar-sized blisters. Spent a very hot summer caching in sandals.

Another time went caching alone to a site with large boulders--an unusual site here in Northern Virginia. I was climbing over one, slipped and conked my noggin on another. Fortunately I did not lose conciousness, but I've not been the same since (at least that's what my SO says!).

I've only had two little problems while caching. One was finding myself in a bed/nest/hive of chiggers and coming out of it with 30-40 bites on my legs. That was unpleasant, but not a big deal. The other was the more serious of the two. I was out on the mountain bike looking for some caches in the woods when I crashed. And it wasn't a nice little crash either. I came down hard on my elbow and ended up with olecranon bursitis, aka "water on the elbow" or "swell-bow". A cortisone shot wasn't enough to bring it down and I had to have it drained.

The worst I've ever hurt myself was when I was rushing to find a cache and I tripped on some train tracks and landed hard on the rail. Nearly broke some ribs and it took several days before I could breath without pain.

I had a friend trip while coming down a mountain and take about a 20m tumble and come out of it with a pretty serious gash on his leg.

I've certainly done some hikes where I came back with symptoms of dehydration and heat stroke.

Yeah, I love this game! :lol: