Weird Protocol Question

6thforever

I want to know what the correct protocol for activating a travel bug is in the following situation.

I have purchased and decorated a travel bug which is to be known as the "Vietnam Veterans" travel bug. Once activated, its mission will be to travel to caches near U.S. veteran memorials.

My original plan was to place it and activate it at our military reunion in late June.

Now it turns out that a WWII veteran friend will be going to Omaha Beach in France, where there is a virtual cache. This would be an ideal and propitious place to originate the bug.

How should I do this? Shall I wait until the day he is at the cache and activate it with Omaha Beach as the point of origin? I want him to then mail the bug to me so that I can put it in the cache at the reunion.

Am I making too big a deal out of this?

Personally, I wouldn't start out a travel bug at a virtual cache.

There are many traditional caches that are veteran related as there are many veterans associated with geocaching: How did you serve?

You did not have your area of country in your profile but I'm sure if you did a search in your area with the keyword of veteran, or vietnam, or whatever, you can find a traditional cache to start out your travel bug.

Even my 'As the Eagle Flys' is a small traditional cache in Michigan at a Vietnam memorial site.

Good luck.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

My thanks to both of you. This trip to Normandy on the anniversary of D-Day is just too big an opportunity to pass up. I'm going to have my friend take a picture of the bug at a recognizable spot and log that as the origin. Later in June, the bug will go into a new physical cache in Angel Fire, NM.