Cache saturation test! Join in!

Coldgears

Thanks! Your pocket query has been saved and currently results in 100 caches.

Rural SW Nova Scotia, water on one side of me. Of the 100, there are 12 that I haven't found or own.

Back in the old days, I used to get caches from Grand Manan, NB on my closest to home pages.

341 within 10 miles of me.

The Atlantic Ocean is about 5 miles easy of me, plus the wide intracoastal waterway and a wide river through the city I live in.

On the plus side, there is a state park entrance about 15 miles from me and the park contains 200+ caches. I'm at 276 and haven't cached there yet. :D

Proof that I'm a cache snob radical, and almost no one uses the ignore list feature. If I do a PQ, it's going to drop well over 100 caches at 10 miles. But not a problem, it didn't take long at all to do manually with a sock puppet account, and the closest cache to my home coordinates (.35 miles) as the center. There are 618 caches within the 10 mile radius.

Anyone do the math to figure out what the theoretical maximum is?

I would presume it would be +10,000 (EC and Virts don't count for saturation).

This assumes one at every .1 miles from the center.

I did some math and came up with 9 073.57

Area of a 10mile radius circle

=pi*r^2

=314.16sqMiles

Now, according to this site, the Volume Fraction of closely packed circles in a hxagonal pattern is 0.9069.

So area in you 10 mile circle that is filled with 0.1 mile "cache circles" is

=314.16sqMiels*0.9069

=284.91sqMiles

Area of a 0.1mile "cache" circle

=pi*r^2

=0.0314

divide the two areas

=284.91/0.0314

=9 073.57

36,275?

Most dense situation is (if I'm not wrong) using equilateral triangles of 0.1 size. Each cache at the left bottom vertex needs two of the triangles to teselate the whole world.

Area of 1 triangle = 0.05 * sqrt(0.1^2 - ((0.1)/2)^2) / 2 = 0.05*0.1*sqrt(3)/2

n = pi*r^2 / (0.05 * 0.1 * sqrt(3)) = 36,275

A lot of caches!

Edited: Oooops! One missing /2 ...

Area = 0.05*(0.1*sqrt(3)/2)/2

n = pi*r^2 / (0.05 * 0.1 * sqrt(3)/2) = 72,551 ... Really? where am I wrong?

Edited again (blonde day!)

Area = 0.1 * (0.1*sqrt(3)/2)/2

n = pi*r^2 / (0.1 * 0.1 * sqrt(3)/2) = 36,275

my first number was correct even if the formulas were copied incorrectly.

I see what I did wrong. I used 0.1 miles for the radius of each cache "Circle". The correct value should be .05 miles.

So

((pi*R^2)*Volume Fraction)/(pi*r^2)

R=radius of area of interest (10 miles)

r= radius of proximity circle (0.10 miles/2)

=((pi*10^2)*0.9069)/(pi*0.05^2)

=36276

Using my meathod, I now get 36276. Of course this is approximate as you could have a fraction of a cache circle inside the 10 mile circle, and the cache be outside. My calculation will include the fraction of the circle that is inside the 10 mile circle when the cache is not inside. And transversly, if a fraction of the cache circle is outside the 10 mile circle, but the cache is inside, my calculation will not include the fraction that is outside.

So the moral of the story is that no one has anything close to a saturated area.

Edited by Andronicus

I have 1,000 within 6.7 miles of my house. There are 1,981 within 10 miles.

Cool for finding caches, but it makes hiding them near impossible.

Phew, i imagine!! I can't imagine how they can do that without putting them in people's yards! Haha!

I've been caching since Feb. and am still at only around 600. I would still be stuck in a ten mile radius of my house that way!

From my home coordinates, one mile west of downtown Portland, Oregon, I get 2126 using the advancce seek page. When I ran a pq I knew it would be well over 1000.

21 are mine. 11 micros, 3 small and 7 regular. Yes, you can hide an ammo can in the city.

We get a pretty good mix of cache types in Portland proper. We have Forest Park, over 5,000 acres whose edge is about 1 1/2 miles west of downtown. Many, many regular parks too. There is also the Willamette and Columbia river banks and various wetlands in which to hide larger caches. There is always something for everyone.

Interesting.

Some of you have a lot, though I guess these LPF (?) must be a bit monotonous.

I have 44 within 10 miles, 24 of them are mine! (Small town, Japan)

If I change to 100 miles I am lucky and have nearly 2400 , and as I have only found 117 so far that should keep me going for a while....

I've got 447 within 5 miles -- how to you trick the pocket query to give you more than 500? {ignore that, decided to use my reading comprehension skills, instead} -- 1565.

(Of course, I live just a few miles Alamogul, so that helps, no doubt).

Edited by Alkhalikoi

Instead of a PQ, do the advance seek page, plug in your address and choose the limit of 10 miles.

Using this method it shows me a little over 4000

Realy? I didn' think Edmonton was that much more saturated than Calgary? I did a surch from near the University and got 1478

I live about a block away from the dead center of the city. Still... pretty sure I screwed something up though. Seems rather high to me.

Instead of a PQ, do the advance seek page, plug in your address and choose the limit of 10 miles.

Using this method it shows me a little over 4000

Realy? I didn' think Edmonton was that much more saturated than Calgary? I did a surch from near the University and got 1478

I live about a block away from the dead center of the city. Still... pretty sure I screwed something up though. Seems rather high to me.

I just did a search from where google maps sais the center of Edmonton is; 1622