Cell phone VS Handheld GPS

I have and EVO 4G with a free app that has Live Maps, Radar and standard GPS settings.

I got involved with geocaching with my granddaughter and I am new at it.

We have discovered something we both love to do.

I thought I would step up into the handheld GPS world and buy a Garmin 450. I brought it home and played with it and it is a fine GPS but I must say it has nothing compared to my free app I have on EVO. I brought it back and decided to stay with my cell phone. Garmin, DeLorme, Megellan, Lowrance listen up bring out a unit that will compete with a stupid cell phone app and take over the market.

The main point is "SCREEN SIZE" smaller is NOT better. Having to buy 10 different maps is NOT better. Waterproof and fitting in the palm of my hand does not impress me. A large screen loaded with maps of the United States would. And other things a cell phone includes would impress me. Until then keep pushing out watch size screens and blank GPS units that you have to also buy maps for AFTER you pay big money for your units.

Disappointed.

Wrong Way Peachfuzz

Edited by Wrong Way Peachfuzz

you could've put one of the many free topo maps on it.

waterproof and increased battery life do impress me, as does the increased accuracy. it will impress you too once you have to abort a cache hunt because it starts to rain, or run out of juice in the middle of a cache run, or try to hide your first cache.

you can't expect a GPS receiver to get data online, as it's not.

but whatever floats your boat. if you like your phone better, use it. btw, it's called oregon 450, there's no such thing as a garmin 450.

oh, and you're most likely violating Groundspeak's TOU by using that free app. just as a side note.

Edited by dfx

It's all personal I guess. The waterproof-ness, ruggedness, battery life, accuracy are all reason enough to use a handheld over the phone.

Oh yes Oregon 450 sorry. What ever it was called I was NOT impressed. I do understand what you are saying about ruggedness over the phone, What I was trying to state is what the "Phone" has over the GPS units.

I was also not impressed after looking over all the GPS units screen sizes. We are not all 18 years old with 20/20 vision. The manufacturers seem to assume we are. Also the phone is far superior in features. That's all I was saying.

I would not want to take a $400 - $500, delicate, non-waterproof smartphone into the woods.

I would much rather have a rugged, waterproof durable dedicated GPS unit in that type of situation.

In addition, I am likely not going to have a cell phone data signal in the middle of nowhere or on the top of a mountain. So the cell phone would likely be of limited use in those situations.

If I drop my Colorado in a puddle or even in a river, I don't have to worry. If I drop my BlackBerry in that same puddle or river (even in the Otterbox case), it's likely not going to fare as well.

If I bang the Colorado or even my Zumo against a tree accidentally, everything will be fine. Not so much with my BlackBerry.

If the batteries run out on my Colorado, it's easy to pop in another set. Plus the GPS unit running out of batteries in the wilderness doesn't necessarily put my life in jeopardy.

If the battery runs out in my phone, I have to be sure that I brought along a spare (which is a specialized item). And if it runs out and I don't have a spare and I get hurt, I can't call for help. Personally, I would rather save my phone battery for those situations and use another device for geocaching.

I have had no issues with the brightness and clarity of the information on the GPS screen. It's never been an issue for me on any of the units I have used.

But that's just me.

you could've put one of the many free topo maps on it.

waterproof and increased battery life do impress me, as does the increased accuracy. it will impress you too once you have to abort a cache hunt because it starts to rain, or run out of juice in the middle of a cache run, or try to hide your first cache.

you can't expect a GPS receiver to get data online, as it's not.

but whatever floats your boat. if you like your phone better, use it. btw, it's called oregon 450, there's no such thing as a garmin 450.

oh, and you're most likely violating Groundspeak's TOU by using that free app. just as a side note.

It's called a Garmin "Oregon" 450 with the really small screen and NO maps. It located my home but showed 4 roads out of about 10 that were in my area. Boy oh boy was I impressed.Yeah I wanted to keep it. I am sure most all people who read it knew what I was talking about but whatever jerks your bobber under.

I am not sure of the app you speak of that Groundspeak says we can't use or mention but there are many phone apps and as I stated I am new so let me know.

What I was trying to state is what the "Phone" has over the GPS units.

I was also not impressed after looking over all the GPS units screen sizes. We are not all 18 years old with 20/20 vision. The manufacturers seem to assume we are. Also the phone is far superior in features. That's all I was saying.

of course, modern smartphones try to do everything and usually manage to do so on an ok level. you can take pictures with them, you can listen to music, you can browse the web, you can go geocaching.

but a standalone camera will be better at taking pictures, an MP3 player will be better at listening to music, a PC/laptop will be better at browsing the web, and a GPSr will be better at geocaching. and none of them can be used for any of the other tasks.

it's everyone's choice whether they want to use specialized devices which do what they're designed to do very well, or use an all-in-one device which does everything, but only with compromises.

It's called a Garmin "Oregon" 450 with the really small screen and NO maps. It located my home but showed 4 roads out of about 10 that were in my area. Boy oh boy was I impressed.

yeah that's the basemap. put one of the free topo maps on and you get a lot of detail. and then you don't even need cell coverage to have maps on your screen.

I am not sure of the app you speak of that Groundspeak says we can't use or mention but there are many phone apps and as I stated I am new so let me know.

well, unless you're using the official Groundspeak app, or use an app that requires you to manually load cache infos onto the phone, then your app violates the TOU. not that i care, JFYI.

Edited by dfx

I agree with poster. My evo got me started. I had NO, I repeat NOOO idea what apps are or are not approved.

You have a phone, you find a free app (because its free) you down load it and it works. If it was not for me finding a travel bug and then doing google searches to find out what it was...this Groundspeak sight would have never existed to me and does not to anyone else that is getting started with a droid.

I was offended today to find out that i was violating the insert echo "TOA" , I had to google to find out what the acronym was Terms of Agreement. I am not sure why the mod could not tell me the actual words. I was offended because I could not find this violation anywhere.I wear my heart on my shoulder I guess . It falls in the category of "because I said so". I am a hopeless literal.

Not approved App I thought...what? This is a Hobby. An App costs 10 dollars with no additional cost. I have been on forums for cars before and they have PayPal options to donate. I do not see one here if it is a mater of money. But I would if I saw it.

This is not a case of ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. I could not find the Law even when I tried. LOL

I have since found the correct Application for a droid but I contend that very innocent people like myself with wonderful small children completely excited about a new hobby get a Buzz kill at the happiest starting moment of the hobby by receiving relatively dry and cold reticule for something that is unknown to the happy new member.

Unless you have tried the EVO for GeoCashing you have not only no idea what you are missing but also can not possibly have an accurate opinion. A case is made that shock water proofs the phone and ithas a huge screen. The EVO has replaceable batteries. It is not like an MP3 it is more like a Music store. It is a high definition video camera and an 8 meg camera. I have it because I do not want to miss those special shots of my kids during daily activity ...oh I have to have that shot, type moment.(My nikon is for planned type use)

The phone is self contained for logging entries since it is connected high speed to the internet (2meg). It is a computer... really. one gig snap dragon processor.a TV literally. It has a complete warranty for damage.

The user never ever sees this forum at all. Just the log notes related to each Cache. I am telling you people innocently use that program.

...that program and droid phone and other phones will exceed this hobbies wildest wishes. You think a lot of people geocache now...I think a lot more will come "you build it...they will come"

Open up a donation Tab plain and clear on the sight. People like me would gladly contribute more than any app would bring. Lets solve the root of the problem and not dress each wound at a time. Money. I bought the app cause it is the official one. Not nearly as good...yet. I am sure that this kind of thing developes. LOL hire the person that mad the better one...or buy their App.its perfect.

My 2 cents, thank you for your time. I love GeoCaching and it has only been a week.

Edited by markstang

I would not want to take a $400 - $500, delicate, non-waterproof smartphone into the woods.

I would much rather have a rugged, waterproof durable dedicated GPS unit in that type of situation.

In addition, I am likely not going to have a cell phone data signal in the middle of nowhere or on the top of a mountain. So the cell phone would likely be of limited use in those situations.

If I drop my Colorado in a puddle or even in a river, I don't have to worry. If I drop my BlackBerry in that same puddle or river (even in the Otterbox case), it's likely not going to fare as well.

If I bang the Colorado or even my Zumo against a tree accidentally, everything will be fine. Not so much with my BlackBerry.

If the batteries run out on my Colorado, it's easy to pop in another set. Plus the GPS unit running out of batteries in the wilderness doesn't necessarily put my life in jeopardy.

If the battery runs out in my phone, I have to be sure that I brought along a spare (which is a specialized item). And if it runs out and I don't have a spare and I get hurt, I can't call for help. Personally, I would rather save my phone battery for those situations and use another device for geocaching.

I have had no issues with the brightness and clarity of the information on the GPS screen. It's never been an issue for me on any of the units I have used.

But that's just me.

I am not saying you can use my cell phone in a Navy survival training test. ( have been there.) What I was saying is the cell phone with it's free apps blows the button size screen GPS out of the water with not only screen size but with features also. The GPS manufactures are 5 years behind and full of greed.

I agree with poster. My evo got me started. I had NO, I repeat NOOO idea what apps are or are not approved.

You have a phone, you find a free app (because its free) you down load it and it works. If it was not for me finding a travel bug and then doing google searches to find out what it was...this Groundspeak sight would have never existed to me and does not to anyone else that is getting started with a droid.

I was offended today to find out that i was violating the insert echo "TOA" , I had to google to find out what the acronym was Terms of Agreement. I am not sure why the mod could not tell me the actual words. I was offended because I could not find this violation anywhere. It fall in the category of "because I said so".

Not approved App I thought...what? This is a Hobby. An App costs 10 dollars with no additional cost. I have been on forums for cars before and they have PayPal options to donate. I do not see one here if it is a mater of money.

This is not a case of ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. I could not find the Law even when I tried. LOL

I have since found the correct Application for a droid but I contend that very innocent people like myself with wonderful small children completely excited about a new hobby get a Buzz kill at the happiest starting moment of the hobby by receiving relatively dry and cold reticule for something that is unknown to the happy new member.

Unless you have tried the EVO for GeoCashing you have not only no idea what you are missing but also can not possibly have an accurate opinion. A case is made that shock water proofs the phone and ithas a huge screen. The EVO has replaceable batteries. It is not like an MP3 it is more like a Music store. It is a high definition video camera and an 8 meg camera. I have it because I do not want to miss those special shots of my kids during daily activity ...oh I have to have that shot, type moment.(My nikon is for planned type use)

The phone is self contained for logging entries since it is connected high speed to the internet (2meg). It is a computer... really. one gig snap dragon processor.a TV literally. It has a complete warranty for damage.

The user never ever sees this forum at all. Just the log notes related to each Cache. I am telling you people innocently use that program.

...that program and droid phone and other phones will exceed this hobbies wildest wishes. You think a lot of people geocache now...I think a lot more will come "you build it...they will come"

Open up a donation Tab plain and clear on the sight. People like me would gladly contribute more than any app would bring. Lets solve the root of the problem and not dress each wound at a time. Money. I bought the app cause it is the official one. Not nearly as good...yet. I am sure that this kind of thing developes. LOL hire the person that mad the better one...or buy their App.its perfect.

My 2 cents, thank you for your time. I love GeoCaching and it has only been a week.

My little granddaughter and myself Thank You Markstang very much for saying this.

I smile when I read this because It is obvious that only a smart phone user knows what is at the end of the rainbow. It is kinda like defending the horse in the wake of the Automobile. If I bought a horse (and I did) I would probably defend it too.

I originally thought this forum would jump on the AMAZING technology of the Android phone for this hobby.

I spent much of the day talking with my brother about this verses that.

In this case a GPS receives information. Stand alone or not. The info is the same/ triangulation.The EVO is a GPS just like the one in a car too. It uses triangulation and integrates it into programs on the phone for mapping. I want to pause and wonder what is not obvious here. It is a hand held GPS...they both are. It cost me 200 dollars. I can talk to mine as it types in what I say.

Mine does not work under cover as well.(it works perfect but takes a few seconds longer. Antenna is the strong point of a stand alone.

I shake my head in puzzlement. Why use electricity...the candle works just fine. :P

Edited by markstang

I smile when I read this because It is obvious that only a smart phone user knows what is at the end of the rainbow. It is kinda like defending the horse in the wake of the Automobile. If I bought a horse (and I did) I would probably defend it too.

Just think Markstang this is just the beginning of things for Android. Everyday I find new things and learn.

What I was trying to state is what the "Phone" has over the GPS units.

of course, modern smartphones try to do everything and usually manage to do so on an ok level. you can take pictures with them, you can listen to music, you can browse the web, you can go geocaching.

but a standalone camera will be better at taking pictures, an MP3 player will be better at listening to music, a PC/laptop will be better at browsing the web, and a GPSr will be better at geocaching. and none of them can be used for any of the other tasks.

it's everyone's choice whether they want to use specialized devices which do what they're designed to do very well, or use an all-in-one device which does everything, but only with compromises.

It's called a Garmin "Oregon" 450 with the really small screen and NO maps. It located my home but showed 4 roads out of about 10 that were in my area. Boy oh boy was I impressed.

yeah that's the basemap. put one of the free topo maps on and you get a lot of detail. and then you don't even need cell coverage to have maps on your screen.

well, unless you're using the official Groundspeak app, or use an app that requires you to manually load cache infos onto the phone, then your app violates the TOU. not that i care, JFYI.

Hi dfx

A stand alone camera does not come close to my 8 megapixel camera I have on my EVO nor does any camera I know of on any phone. A PC/Laptop can not even come close to the speed I have with this phone. I know this I own both a laptop and a triple screen desktop computer with the best graphics and video card money can buy on cable internet speed.

I talked to the salesperson at REI and they stated on the Garmin Oregon 450 that I bought that I would have to buy maps for Minnesota and then buy maps for Wisconsin because Garmin knew that most of the people want both of these states. I was NOT impressed once again. I could care less about base maps because I have seen those in action and I was NOT impressed. The GPS companies need to try a lot harder to impress me after owning an Android phone.

I was offended today to find out that i was violating the insert echo "TOA" , I had to google to find out what the acronym was Terms of Agreement. I am not sure why the mod could not tell me the actual words. I was offended because I could not find this violation anywhere. It fall in the category of "because I said so".

Not approved App I thought...what? This is a Hobby. An App costs 10 dollars with no additional cost. I have been on forums for cars before and they have PayPal options to donate. I do not see one here if it is a mater of money.

I'm brand new, too. We tried to use a GPS our first time geocaching (which was last week). We went 0/4. I discovered my Droid could be used and started researching it. According to the Forum, GeoHunter was not breaking the TOS, even though it's free. I did have to load another app to get it to work but that was only $1.99. I don't think $10 is unreasonable, but from what I read, it's not as effective as other methods. Being new at the hobby I'm going to use the one that makes it easiest to find the caches as long as I'm not breaking the TOS. Today was my second time out and I found 3/3 with my Droid. I'm just sayin' . . .

A stand alone camera does not come close to my 8 megapixel camera I have on my EVO nor does any camera I know of on any phone. A PC/Laptop can not even come close to the speed I have with this phone. I know this I own both a laptop and a triple screen desktop computer with the best graphics and video card money can buy on cable internet speed.

right. so either you really don't know what you're talking about, or you're just trolling. or maybe both. in any case, i'm outta here.

right. so either you really don't know what you're talking about, or you're just trolling. or maybe both. in any case, i'm outta here.

LMAO

Thanks

LMAO

Thanks

I am out of my mind and I am a troll you are right. I bow down before you. You are the best.

I am with the poster. Yes me and my family are "newbies" to Geocaching, but you know what?

My Droid Eris just simply "WORKS" for this and not to mention I already had it. I didn't have to buy a $300-$600 GPS and then $100 in maps.

I mean c'mon ... this is GREAT NEWS for the community. New Cachers! New stashes! (I placed one today myself) I also have paperless functionality as well w/ the high speed internet on it.

When you can grab your family, put them in the car, lock onto a cache and not only get TURN BY TURN driving directions to the location, but ALSO locate the cache within a few feet, find it and celebrate it ... then click a "Found it" button, snap a few photos and move on to the next one. (nope we dont have to connect a USB cable to our GPS, load drivers and use some whacked out software to upload the logs ... we spend that time talking with our families about how much freaking fun we had and looking at the images we snappped with our 3.5mp/8mp cameras)

SeRiOuSlY!!! WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR?!?!?! Without this smartphone and the GPS capabilities + Free software, myself and my family would not ever have done this.

I want to shout out and say THANK YOU for bringing this fun as heck hobby to me and my family.

You bet I will buy the Groundspeak App, (even if it crashes) just to support them and upgrade my geocaching.com account to a yearly subscription. You bet I will buy stickers and coins and T shirts.

HECK YES. Why give the cash to Garmin or whatever greedy GPS company is out there? Give it to the community! Buy Cache supplies! Enjoy the sport! I am sorry for all of you out there that spent thousands on the pinpoint tracking GPS systems that you can dunk and drop, not knocking you or the seriousness you have dumped into it. Thats YOU and YOUR choice. Thank GOD and all of the developers that made the Droid and other smartphones work for this!

THANK YOU!

Note: Try a Droid if you can. Just don't knock it until you have.

Note: The rest of you Droid users just sit there and nod your head, cuz you know were right. :P

/end rant

Much LOVE.

If your ever in the Iniana Goshen Area ... give us a shout. Would love to cache some sites with you all.

Edited by Th3 Brown Family

I am with the poster. Yes me and my family are "newbies" to Geocaching, but you know what?

My Droid Eris just simply "WORKS" for this and not to mention I already had it. I didn't have to buy a $300-$600 GPS and then $100 in maps.

I mean c'mon ... this is GREAT NEWS for the community. New Cachers! New stashes! (I placed one today myself) I also have paperless functionality as well w/ the high speed internet on it.

When you can grab your family, put them in the car, lock onto a cache and not only get TURN BY TURN driving directions to the location, but ALSO locate the cache within a few feet, find it and celebrate it ... then click a "Found it" button, snap a few photos and move on to the next one. (nope we dont have to connect a USB cable to our GPS, load drivers and use some whacked out software to upload the logs ... we spend that time talking with our families about how much freaking fun we had and looking at the images we snappped with our 3.5mp/8mp cameras)

SeRiOuSlY!!! WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR?!?!?! Without this smartphone and the GPS capabilities + Free software, myself and my family would not ever have done this.

I want to shout out and say THANK YOU for bringing this fun as heck hobby to me and my family.

You bet I will buy the Groundspeak App, (even if it crashes) just to support them and upgrade my geocaching.com account to a yearly subscription. You bet I will buy stickers and coins and T shirts.

HECK YES. Why give the cash to Garmin or whatever greedy GPS company is out there? Give it to the community! Buy Cache supplies! Enjoy the sport! I am sorry for all of you out there that spent thousands on the pinpoint tracking GPS systems that you can dunk and drop, not knocking you or the seriousness you have dumped into it. Thats YOU and YOUR choice. Thank GOD and all of the developers that made the Droid and other smartphones work for this!

THANK YOU!

Note: Try a Droid if you can. Just don't knock it until you have.

Note: The rest of you Droid users just sit there and nod your head, cuz you know were right. :P

/end rant

Much LOVE.

If your ever in the Iniana Goshen Area ... give us a shout. Would love to cache some sites with you all.

Thank you, it was such a wonderful post. Very refreshing and very well written. Thank you :D

An interesting discussion.

I find myself without my old Etrex Legend that had served me well for years, thanks to some knucklehead who smashed my car window and snagged a bag that had it and my cell phone in it.

Of course, we will probably never see phone or GPS again, and the homeowners insurance deductible is just high enough to make filing a claim pointless.

Now I'm looking to replace a phone and a GPS. Of course, the wife immediately said, "why not an I-something or one of those new Androids?"

We are on a limited budget (who isn't these days).

I have been perfectly happy Geocaching with that black and white, serial cabled museum piece, 'cause it got the job done reliably. If I replace the GPS with another like it, I'm in it for about 120 bucks. If I replace the modest cell phone, I'm likely to have to spend about half that and renew my contract for two years.

A Garminphone might be an option, but I'd miss the ruggedness of the Etrex. I also hate to commit to the monthly charges that will be needed to use the Garminphone.

I've yet to make up my mind, and frankly don't have the information needed to do so. I'm not anti-technology at all, but delicate doesn't appeal to me when it comes to backwoods navigation or even casual geocaching. Neither does being tethered to a special battery, or having to pay the monthly fees for the data usage.

I'll be watching this conversation with interest.

A data plan is an albatross with a phone bill too I agree.

tid bits of what I have learned:

The cell phone is a must for our family safety so we except it.

The Iphone (I have had 4 of them) means you are trapped to a sealed battery.

The Droid type phones let you change them easily with larger capacity or spares.

The Data plan (with android) allows me to tether my laptop on the go.

The HTC Evo has a large screen. If it fits in my pocket its not too big yet.

Delicate: insurance plan/no military/mountain climbing use here.

GeoCaching for me has been simple. I understand the Garmin device is weather tolerant (I have an old one)

However For GeoCaching for me I do not see why a shock resistant device is needed (yet)

Perhaps when I get into this more I will want to go for elusive in the wilds terain...are there a lot of them?

Having a 4 wheel drive would be needed too.

Being captured by this aspect:Rugged and Antenna are good issues to p keep a GPS Stand Alone

What you are used too is another.

The phone method is tap a tab to download App/enter username/password and start geocaching incolor.

first day of school for kids ...gotta go :P

Edit: grammar/Spelling

Edited by markstang

Not wanting to spam links ... go to Youtube and search ... "Android Geocaching" (Thanks Knight007 for the great Android phone review!)

The videos and documented evidence is overwhelming ... many experienced Geocahcher's are now using the Android. (watchout GPS corps ... time to rethink your strategy a bit?!?!)

I think Knight007 should have at least mentioned Groundspeak's app though ... (just spend the 10 bucks!)

I purchased the app last night and I am going to give it a try today. Looks like a really good app so far.

(Got reports in the app reviews that it crashed all the time, ... I hope thats fixed; it did not crash for me at all)

Typical Android phone conversation scenario ...

Me: Oh, "You have a Android phone? - Have you ever tried Geocaching?"

Friend: Geocaching ?!?!?! Whats that???

Me: Goto www.geocaching.com and check it out ... there is a cool video about it. (video does not play on Android phones)

From then on the person gets excited like I did and WaPOW! Another one in the community.

Plus the QUALITY OF LIFE for that person just trippled, because now this person has a NEW HOBBY that involves hiking, outdoors and socializing.

Freakin amazing !!! I am GEEKED (can you tell?) haha.

Enough said from me ... you would think I am a salesman or something for Android phones.

(Sponsors please email me at bob.k.brown(at)gmail.com) har har har :P

I picked through a few threads ...

We geocache with our kids all the time. We have a Garmin and had been using it in conjunction with my Palm Pre, which was ok, but sometimes frustrating. I just got a new phone, a Sprint EVO, and use it exclusively. The GPS on my phone is much more accurate than the Garmin was and faster than the Pre was. So I would suggest trying to IPhone app first. There are a few free apps for most of the smartphones out there and you can see what works best for you without spending any money.

As far as the iPhone, I have found several caches with it. While I prefer geosphere to the Groundspeak app, it works best with premium membership and pocket queries. The iPhone has its issues (what model does your husband use?), accuracy may be an issue under many conditions, but it has introduced a lot of people to caching. It can be a good companion to a handheld since it has paperless features - access to the title, description, hint, and past logs can make caching a lot less frustrating.

For those that have a Smartphones with GPS and want to try out an expensive GPS device (money to burn/GPS envy etc ..) at least the phones would be good for assisting the GPS unit since it has no internet.

I would not recommend handing your iphone or Android to a 5 years old, so perhaps a handheld kid friendly unit is the way to go there, while the adults use the smartphone GPS to assist and guide the child. (see there is a place for handheld GPS units!) Thats what I like about this sport it is just so open to "whatever works for you". Nice.

Well I'm up for a phone upgrade in less than a month. I hope to walk away with a Droid X. I will most definitely buy the Groundspeak app and live with it while they work the kinks out of it. Geocaching with a phone is a great thing. I like the fact that if a newly published cache comes out in your area you have the notification and the ability to navigate and search for it. On the other hand when it comes down to a long hard day of caching I don't think any phone Droid or I-phone is a match for a good handheld gps. I'll stick with my Oregon and 60csx for that.

I have a 60C, a Dakota 20 GPS, and a Palm Pre 'smart phone'.

I fine all three have pros and cons.

For ease of use, speed and bigger screen I love the 60,

the limited memory is a drawback. should get a 60CSx

The Dakota gives me paperless caching but small screen,

not too bright and slower to operate.

The Palm Pre with Geocaching for WebOS is great.........

as long as there is WiFi or Cell service. I love being able to

search any area I am in and see what caches are around that

I have not found, read all the info and logs, to be able to

find one and log it right on the spot. I think it is slow and

it is not too rugged but it has a place in my heart.

I think 'smart phones' will outnumber GPS units for the

game in a few years unless the GPS makes big moves in

two way communication, sort of like the SPOT.

An interesting discussion.

I find myself without my old Etrex Legend that had served me well for years, thanks to some knucklehead who smashed my car window and snagged a bag that had it and my cell phone in it.

Of course, we will probably never see phone or GPS again, and the homeowners insurance deductible is just high enough to make filing a claim pointless.

Now I'm looking to replace a phone and a GPS. Of course, the wife immediately said, "why not an I-something or one of those new Androids?"

We are on a limited budget (who isn't these days).

I have been perfectly happy Geocaching with that black and white, serial cabled museum piece, 'cause it got the job done reliably. If I replace the GPS with another like it, I'm in it for about 120 bucks. If I replace the modest cell phone, I'm likely to have to spend about half that and renew my contract for two years.

A Garminphone might be an option, but I'd miss the ruggedness of the Etrex. I also hate to commit to the monthly charges that will be needed to use the Garminphone.

I've yet to make up my mind, and frankly don't have the information needed to do so. I'm not anti-technology at all, but delicate doesn't appeal to me when it comes to backwoods navigation or even casual geocaching. Neither does being tethered to a special battery, or having to pay the monthly fees for the data usage.

I'll be watching this conversation with interest.

Gotta agree there, the trusty etrex line worked flawlessly. Take an eTrex head to head with any smartphone 10 for 10 caches in the woods and I can guarantee the one with the eTrex will have found all ten before the one with the smartphone. Smartphones work great for C & D's( Which means smartphones will probably lead to a much higher increase in parking lot micros, as if their isn't enough already) but who in their right mind would take them into rough terrain. I doubt the warranties cover dropping them in water or smashing them against rocks.

eTrex h $80 workhorse > any smartphone for geocaching.

Edited by Druce_n_Eulla

I thought I would step up into the handheld GPS world and buy a Garmin 450.

hmmm why would you even consider that if your smartphone is so amazing?

i don't mean to sound judgmental, but you have been caching for 2 days, have a total of 9 finds and you're ready to pass judgment on devices, that doesn't quite sound right to me, what it does sound like though is a "sales pitch" for the EVO

do come back and let us know how good your smartphone is, after you've cached in heavy tree cover areas, in rain or snow and areas with limited cell coverage

and pleaaaaase don't tell me your phone camera is better than a standalone camera, any all-in-one will never be better than a standalone, no matter what it is

Edited by t4e

I thought I would step up into the handheld GPS world and buy a Garmin 450.

hmmm why would you even consider that if your smartphone is so amazing?

i don't mean to sound judgmental, but you have been caching for 2 days, have a total of 9 finds and you're ready to pass judgment on devices, that doesn't quite sound right to me, what it does sound like though is a "sales pitch" for the EVO

and pleaaaaase don't tell me your phone camera is better than a standalone camera, any all-in-one will never be better than a standalone, no matter what it is

Interesting 9 caches is nowhere near enough to realize the shortcomings of smartphones in the world of geocaching. No comment on the phone camera bit, I about fell on the floor laughing at that one.

No comment on the phone camera bit, I about fell on the floor laughing at that one.

yeah that was hilarious :D

i thought the iphoners were the only ones with an attitude like that. guess i was wrong. time to rethink wanting an android myself!

Had I realized that the purpose of this thread was to extol that belief/idea that Android phones are going to take over the world and are better than everything else combined, I would have skipped posting.

Enjoy.

This is another fine example of how a new member gets treated here.

Just Honest answers and this is the result. . I have yet to read about someone using the smart phone GeoCaching and then saying it was a disappointment.

Shaking my head in disbelief about my experience here. I thought you meant for us to answer your question.

"You" are the only person that knows the "purpose" of your thread...You are the creator. I am just ...well was...just replying'

Edited by markstang

I have just started geocaching. I go on backpacking trips that last anywhere from 3-14 days. A cell phone would never make it past the first or second day, let alone the fact that there would be no cell service for most of that time.

I have just purchased a Dakota 20 which is why I started geocaching, one more thing to add to the adventure. When/if they ever make a cell phone that can take that I might try it out. I don't expect that to be soon.

Cell phones may be OK if you never leave the city by much. Me I get as far away from the city as I can as often as I can and I really don't want my cell phone to be on even if it does get a signal.

Had I realized that the purpose of this thread was to extol that belief/idea that Android phones are going to take over the world and are better than everything else combined, I would have skipped posting.

Enjoy.

Just Honest answers and this is the result. . I have yet to read about someone using the smart phone GeoCaching and then saying it was a disappointment.

Shaking my head in disbelief about my experience here. I thought you meant for us to answer your question.

"You" are the only person that knows the "purpose" of your thread...You are the creator. I am just ...well was...just replying'

Huh?

You completely (and I mean completely) lost me.

Hi Wrong Way...

My cell phone agreement is set to end in the next few months and I'm quite interested in cell phones with GPS. Can you post some screen shots of your EVO with the GPS app running. I'd like to see how what you have compares to regular handhelds.

Screen size is not really a big issue for me. Smaller sometimes is better than bigger. When I want big I just plug a USB unit into my netbook with some geo-referenced imagery and I'm good to go. It's hard to get any bigger and still be reasonably portable.

Again, please post some screen shots.

Thanks

Lin

Enjoy.

what exactly are you on about with that comment? <_<

i think you quoted the wrong post because your post makes no sense whatsoever :D

Edited by t4e

Enjoy.

I have yet to read about someone using the smart phone GeoCaching and then saying it was a disappointment.

really? you must not of read many of the forum posts, there are dozens of posts of people complaining about smart phones accuracy and wanting upgrades

This continues to be interesting.

I can see how some folks get enjoyment out of having the latest and greatest electronics, and Lord knows if money was no object I'd be sorely tempted by the feature rich offerings of the latest GPSr devices, as well as the amazing things that are possible with a Smartphone.

I think that I have an emotional tether to GPSrs, because they are what I'm used to, I've used them in some pretty extreme circumstances and I am comfortable with them.

I can understand the emotional tether that somebody would have to a device that does the all these great things and they have invested some coin in.

I get the idea of paperless caching, but honestly one of the pleasures I get from planning a day with the boys is sitting down with them, planning it out, and even though this sounds quaint, writing down some of the information. One kid might get the notepad and camera, another the map and compass and I use the GPS, or we switch it around. The planning and interacting are part of the fun.

If I had a paperless device, I can see it becoming "Hey kids, a new cache just got placed, my device has the map, let's go find it!" They'd rightly feel like they were being dragged along for the ride by dad and his gizmo, and to be honest I'm not about to hand a several hundred dollar drop-n-smash to a seven or ten year old boy.

As much as I'm intrigued by the capabilities of the latest devices, I'm also mindful less effort does not always mean more fun.

To my kids, the hand held GPS means that we are taking a trip or going on an adventure. It is what it's for. I wonder if they will feel the same about a device that is always present, and gets used for the grocery list, family photos and that dad surfs the web with when they'd rather I was interacting with them.

I'm pretty sure the days of the dedicated GPSr in urban environments are numbered. As the technology spreads, they will make less sense for most people.

I was thinking about this when the officer taking my theft report told me that the guys who smashed my window were probably in the woods, watching the parking lot and just picked me because my car was close and they saw me set something on the floor. I bet the smash and grabbers were mighty disappointed with my lame Etrex GPSr and ho-hum cell phone.

Pretty soon a lot of folks with highly desirable and easy to move Smartphones are going to be going to remote urban locations that could be known to a more folks than just a dedicated community of hobbyist. In some ways, I hope this game stays relatively unknown and a little quirky.

I haven't decided what to replace my stolen stuff with yet.

Well, I also go geocaching with my grandchildren

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

and we have found this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3b-d6d354486741

And the point here is that this one is out of cellphone range and our DeLorme PN-40 does just fine and the aerial photo imagery, available through DeLorme, really is a bonus for locating landmarks in the back country.

Like this one for example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4e-bb238ad4e29c

Yeah .. I can sum this thread up with just a few Lines. (I think enough has been said here to come to this conclusion)

Smartphone Users
= Family or single hobbiest in urban areas that likes to keep it simple and just have some quick fun with a busy lifestyle on the side.

HH GPS Users
= More serious rock climbing, water wading, trecking out in the middle of nowhere kind of people that have the time to venture deep into the woods with backpacks and tents and basically get away from urban areas.

If we all agree that there is a difference and when a Smartphone user want to do some more serious Gecaching in the ural areas, perhaps it is time to get a HH GPS unit. When maybe a more serious "trecker" wants to just do a quick find and grab around the urban homestead a smartphone is more practical and easier to manage.

They both have their place and let's just all agree that each of them has their place in Geocaching.

We smartphone users ENVY you HH GPS Users for sure... we would all love to "get away from it all" if we could, however the lifestlye differences and the technology we use should not divide us in the Geocaching community as we are all out for the "find".

PEACE and LOVE to you all.

Enjoy.

I have yet to read about someone using the smart phone GeoCaching and then saying it was a disappointment.

really? you must not of read many of the forum posts, there are dozens of posts of people complaining about smart phones accuracy and wanting upgrades

I must not have...or I would not have said what I said. I am new here , so..."I have yet to read" is true.

Apple to apples would then apply. I have a very advanced smart phone. TOO many different smart phones to be general.

My phone Gps has been inaccurate, some times it misses by about 3 feet. But I have figured out now that is where the cacher read the coordinates for the placement and not 3 feet over in the crook of a tree.

I envy the adventure of paper and GPS. It represents the time and outdoors that defines not working 5 in the morning till 9 at night. It represents relaxation.

I would like to here from an experienced Stand alone GPS user of many years that has tried a smart phone Like HTC EVO GPS . But I have not read that scenario yet. I am too new here.

My phone Gps has been inaccurate, some times it misses by about 3 feet. But I have figured out now that is where the cacher read the coordinates for the placement and not 3 feet over in the crook of a tree.

3 feet is well below the possible accuracy of consumer grade GPS receivers. cachers generally take the coordinates at the cache, and not 3 feet away. you're very naive if you think your phone (or any other consumer grade GPS receiver) can consistently give you coordinates accurate to 3 feet or even less. you may want to read up on it here.

with only 24 caches found, all of which seem to be pretty much out in the open, you can't possibly have any good feel for how accurate your phone is. try again under heavy tree cover.

or try this: put a stick in your backyard and use your phone to mark a waypoint. come back later (or on a different day) and see what distance your phone shows you when it's back at the stick. repeat that several times over the course of several days (always with the same stick and same waypoint of course).

I would like to here from an experienced Stand alone GPS user of many years that has tried a smart phone Like HTC EVO GPS . But I have not read that scenario yet. I am too new here.

i haven't read about that scenario either, because most of the time it happens the other way around.

Edited by dfx
I am telling you my experience. I am not naive. My brother has the same experience. Do you use the same device I do?

it does not matter what device i use, because GPS is simply not capable of delivering this kind of accuracy. your limited experience is biased and misleading you. read up on how GPS works and you will understand. unless you choose to ignore those facts and want to believe that your phone can do magic and circumvent the laws of physics (or alternatively, has a military-grade GPS receiver built in).

Edited by dfx

If C & D's are your thing then a smartphone is just fine. The problem is these hides are just part of the game. It will get boring quick if C & D's are all you do. It will get to the point where it is oh another skirt lifter yay. The most fun can be had by going after those out of the way caches that no one has found in almost a year and marking a find. These type of caches are where a smartphone shows its limitations. There are a few clever hides in towns but most of the time the best are hidden in the woods.

If C & D's are your thing then a smartphone is just fine. The problem is these hides are just part of the game. It will get boring quick if C & D's are all you do. It will get to the point where it is oh another skirt lifter yay. The most fun can be had by going after those out of the way caches that no one has found in almost a year and marking a find. These type of caches are where a smartphone shows its limitations. There are a few clever hides in towns but most of the time the best are hidden in the woods.

I have used my smartphone as a GPS in the woods and it worked well. There was no cell service so we downloaded all the information for the caches we planned to hit ahead of time. Once I was out of cell range, I put it in airplane mode to stop searching for service. I only used the GPS with the preloaded cache information and the phone lasted about 6 hours. I think it works well but I would be curious to try a handheld to see if the accuracy is really that much better. $400 is a lot to spend on a unit that will only get me another foot closer to the cache.

I have used my smartphone as a GPS in the woods and it worked well. There was no cell service so we downloaded all the information for the caches we planned to hit ahead of time. Once I was out of cell range, I put it in airplane mode to stop searching for service. I only used the GPS with the preloaded cache information and the phone lasted about 6 hours. I think it works well but I would be curious to try a handheld to see if the accuracy is really that much better. $400 is a lot to spend on a unit that will only get me another foot closer to the cache.

I see a lot of you mentioning $400 dollar units. Why do you think that you must spend that much. I started out with an $80 dollar unit and just upgraded to a $200 unit. In the woods cell phones are touch and go. One area they may work fine, in another they may not. You have the maps on the smartphone but a nice cheap GPS-r as backup can go a long way. Heck if you can afford, what is it at least $80 a month on a cell phone an $80 GPS-r is chump change. I am not knocking smartphones, I am just saying that they have limits. Easily put they are a Jack of all trades master of none. I have seen the I phone in action and could see the small issues it has and it has had a geocaching app much longer than the droid.

Do you know what else I see with these post's from cell phone users, many have less than 100 finds and say the cell phones are better than hand held GPS-r's. The point is since not actually using a dedicated GPS-r, you don't realize the benefits.

Edited by Druce_n_Eulla

I was gonna edit my above post but that is how I feel about it.

The truth about it is the fact that these smartphones are not waterproof and cannot be dropped a significant distance without breaking. Warranties do not and will not cover water damage and cracked screens. It is first and foremost about durability. A dedicated GPS-r that does paperless like a smartphone is waterproof, can be dropped, and can be bought for $200 or less. I would use a smartphone myself if I wasn't in the middle of school without a job but I would also have dedicated GPS-r. I have cached in the rain, kayaked out to a cache in a lake, and climbed up rocky slopes. In all these situations my GPS-r has been submerged in water and banged against rocks at some point and still works as good as the day I bought it. Tell me a smartphone can do this.

I have and EVO 4G with a free app that has Live Maps, Radar and standard GPS settings.

I got involved with geocaching with my granddaughter and I am new at it.

We have discovered something we both love to do.

I thought I would step up into the handheld GPS world and buy a Garmin 450. I brought it home and played with it and it is a fine GPS but I must say it has nothing compared to my free app I have on EVO. I brought it back and decided to stay with my cell phone. Garmin, DeLorme, Megellan, Lowrance listen up bring out a unit that will compete with a stupid cell phone app and take over the market.

The main point is "SCREEN SIZE" smaller is NOT better. Having to buy 10 different maps is NOT better. Waterproof and fitting in the palm of my hand does not impress me. A large screen loaded with maps of the United States would. And other things a cell phone includes would impress me. Until then keep pushing out watch size screens and blank GPS units that you have to also buy maps for AFTER you pay big money for your units.

Disappointed.

Wrong Way Peachfuzz

You're preaching to the choir.

I probably have 2 dozen handhelds and I think the best ever made is the Magellan Meridian Platinum....7 + year old unit that nothing new matches when ALL is considered.

New units are small with tiny screens....if I wanted a necklace I'd go to a jewelery store. :wacko:

No detailed maps........it's like buying a car and being asked " Did you want tires with that" ? <_<

The 60 CSx was one of the most accurate units ever made so what did they do ........stick an Oregon's guts in a squeeky 60 look-alike case , add a few hardware-software bugs, and voila....you have a model 62.

Heaven forbid they just take a 60 and add paperless and 3-axis elect. compass.

Buy a used Platinum for less than $100 and add a PDA for about $30 ( to go paperless) and you'd be better off than tons of folks with new units. :wacko:

Please don't take this in a derogatory manner, I really am trying to respond to your request honestly.

I have an HTC Ozone smartphone, which I use as my paperless assistant to my GPSMap 76CSx. The Ozone replaced a Motorola Q (more on that later). So I don't know about the GPS capabilities of the EVO or any of the others. I also don't know of the GPS capabilities of my Ozone, because I don't want to pay my carrier another $10/month to replicate what I get for free from the 76CSx. But, here's an experiment to respond to your request. Take your EVO, etc. outside on a rainy day, hold it over your head, and drop it so that it bouces off of something into some mud. Let it sit there for a few minutes. Do you think it's gonna survive? There are countless threads in this forum of GPSes surviving some unspeakable things done to them; being bounced off rocks, left on the hood of the car and then skidding down the highway, there's even a picture in here of an Etrex "something" working happily at the bottom of a stream! I've dropped my 76 CSx in a lake, in mud, and on rocks. It got wet, muddy, and now has a scratch on the case. I dropped my Motorola Q on GREEN GRASS, and the screen shattered! It's dead as toast!

Whenever I go caching, urban or rural, the smartphone is either left IN the car or securely in a zipped or buttoned pocket (and maybe a drybag, too), and I'm swinging the 76 in my hand. I think this is one of the bigger reasons most of the folks in the so-called "handhelds are better" camp feel the way they do about smartphones. Regardless of where you cache, urban C+D's or rural weekend hikes, you can drop something at any moment. After what I've seen from both a smartphone and a dedicated GPS, the GPS is going to survive a great deal more abuse than a smartphone, regardless of the phone's purported accuracy, ease-of-use, etc., etc., etc.,...

Hope this helps, and happy caching!