Three countries cached in one day?

We are trying to figure out if this is a challenge of some sort, or if there is bragging rights for it or anything.

Anyone know of any motivation for doing this? We live in Europe, so for us its all in a days adventure, but we have not heard of anyone doing this. Please advise.

:rolleyes: Team WorldTour- Caching Ninjas :huh:

Do it for your own enjoyment. If you're doing it for bragging rights then don't do it.

We are trying to figure out if this is a challenge of some sort, or if there is bragging rights for it or anything.

Anyone know of any motivation for doing this? We live in Europe, so for us its all in a days adventure, but we have not heard of anyone doing this. Please advise.

:rolleyes: Team WorldTour- Caching Ninjas :huh:

Three countries cached in one day in Europe doesn't sound like that much of a challenge to me. My very first caching experience happened across two countries (Belgium and France). I drove in three counties in a span of an hour (Belgium -> Luxembourg -> Germany), so it shouldn't be difficult to do three countries in a light morning of caching.

Caching in 6 or 7 European countries would be more of a challenge in my mind, depending on exactly which countries they are :(. The Benelux countries+ France & Germany could be easily done in a day.

Having said that, if you want to do it, go for it. It sounds like fun. There is no official challenge I am aware of regarding multi cross border caching runs, and bragging rights are a matter of personal opinion, but I wouldn't let that stop me. In this game the only people you have to compete against is yourselves. If I was back in Europe I'd be tempted to try a multi country run myself, but do yourself a favour and do it for self satisfaction of a personal accomplishment and don't worry about how it looks in other peoples eyes.

BTW which 3 countries did you have in mind?

I've been looking at my maps on the wall next to me...

If somebody was really, really keen to do a long 24 hour trip I think they could start off in NW Croatia > west Slovenia > NNE top bit of Italy > far west spur of Austria > north Switzerland > SW corner of Germany > the Strasbourg corner of France > Belgium > Netherland... Which is 9 countries.

(Always assuming that there are convenient geocaches in some of those corners)

:P

OK - Who's going to have a go? :D

MrsB

I am aware of a pair of Belgian cachers who found a cache in ten countries (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Italy, and the Czech Republic) in 24 hours, midnight to midnight.

I think it's just possible that they didn't stick to the speed limit at all times, though. :P

Personally, I've found caches in 4 or 5 countries on the same day on several occasions (any drive from my house to the Netherlands), and in 2 countries on more than 50. It helps to live near a border.

Edited by sTeamTraen

A friend did 5 caches in 5 countries in 5 hours.

Here is his profile. http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ad...bc-7606840d7264

We're thinking of doing a short cachingtrip Netherlands - Belgium - France - Luxembourg - Germany. Allthough we probably take our time and use a long weekend, this could very easely be done in a couple of hours. Fi Maastricht (Netherlands) to Thionville (France) via Liege (Belgium), Trier (Germany) and Luxembourg (Luxembourg) is less than 300km and can be done in say 3 to 3,5 hours with quick cache-pick-up stops. Would be fun to do.

Add another couple of hours and you make it to Basel (Switzerland) and then it's just another 4 hours or so to Milan (Italy).

And if you're really in the mood for a longer drive, why not do take a detour from Basel to add Liechtenstein and Austria before driving on to Milan? Google maps shows this is just over 1100km and will take just under 12 hours.

Mr. Terratin

PS: Not for one thing or another, but San Marino is just 3,5 hours from Milan...

I was thinking about most countries in a day, and came off with this possible scenario:

Start in SW Ukraine at midnight, Oct 31 2010. Find a cache.

Cross the border to Romania, set your clock 1 hour back (gaining an hour). Find a cache.

Cross the border to Hungary, set your clock 1 hour back (gaining an hour). Find a cache.

Choose the countries you want to visit, probably going northwest: Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, France, Italy and back to France, Monaco and back to France, Andorra, Spain. Don't forget that daylight savings time kicks out, set your clock an hour back (gaining an hour).

Too bad Concorde planes have been withdrawn, else with enough money you could have chartered one and fly to US/Canada (or start your journey in Japan then fly to Europe).

This is just a draft, and not usable in this form. Some borders take time to pass, some roads are not suitable for fast transit (lack of freeways), some caches need to be placed specifically for this route, and I doubt a car can drive all that distance in 27 hours without going over the speed limit too much.