Return visit to get a TB

HJS

I personally believe it's great that cachers go back to caches they have previously logged. I've found that the cachers that do this know what's going on with the travel bug and ensure that it's logged properly. I also believe that if the cacher is going to get the bug that they should always leave something in the cache--regardless if they've been to the cache or not.

Aim High!

Going back for a bug is fine... but I don't think people should have to leave something when taking a bug. A travel bug is a whole seperate entity to me - if I leave a bug in a cache, it will be with a regular tradable item. If I take a bug from a cache, I'm not going to feel obligated to leave something in its place. My .02 icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Going back for a bug is fine... but I don't think people should have to leave something when taking a bug. A travel bug is a whole seperate entity to me - if I leave a bug in a cache, it will be with a regular tradable item. If I take a bug from a cache, I'm not going to feel obligated to leave something in its place. My .02 icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

I Have to agree. The purpose of leaving something is to replace the booty in the cache so it doesn't end up as an empty box to find. The travel bugs aren't exactly something you are going to keep hopefully. They need to be moved from cache to cache. I always put something in with a bug. Last weekend the kids forgot there geocaching bags so we traded some Canadian Loonies we had in the glove box for some of the goodies when we placed a bug.

I think bug hunting is kind of a neat sideline to geocaching. It adds something to the hunt for those interested. It probably appeals more to the take nothing leave nothing hunters. If I didn't have kids that is probably what I would do. I have yet to drool over any of the contents of a cache but I really enjoy the find. I leave the booty to my kids.

Remember, every geocacher in the woods is more trash taken out, so every visit is worthwhile. And the bugs need to move. It can be posted as a note and not another find, unless the cache was relocated, then I'd consider it another find, because it was.

Cache you later,

Planet

I enjoy getting travel bugs from caches near my home, even though I've been to those caches before. I live in the Phoenix area and this summer I made two trips to Utah, and I distributed a total of nine travel bugs that I had found in the Phoenix area in Utah. I also distributed six travel bugs in one day in northern Arizona, near Sedona.

I'm right now collecting a bunch of travel bugs, and I expect to move them to caches outside the Phoenix metropolitan area.

I chase travel bugs all the time. I used to chase first finders but that became boring and the thrill was lost. To chase a bug to me is exciting. I have dropped what I am doing many of times to go and get it. Typically I will search the local caches for bugs to keep them moving around however I only go and get bugs that I haven't had already. I hope people do the same with my bugs.

Thanks for the idea. I guess I've thought that since there were enough caches reasonably close to me that I hadn't found yet, I didn't need to go back to ones I had already found. But a travel bug that's been sitting in a cache for a while would be a good excuse to take a new geocaching friend (or one who's never been geocaching) to find a cache (and I can get the travel bug!). I am trying to time my maintenance visits to my cache with either dropping off a travel bug or picking up one. I'm getting ready to do a maintenance visit and also pick up a bug that's been sitting in the cache for a couple of weeks now. If noone has picked it up yet, and it's been there for a couple of weeks; then I can help it with its goal and also check on my cache.

I am relatively new to this (and quite excited about it) and was really pondering over the etiquette surrounding the bugs and going to a previously found cache to grab a bug. There are several around my home that have travellers move into them and I have been tempted.

I have decided that I will only start visiting caches just to grab the bug if they are stuck there for more than a month.

I have just begun the game in one of the most beautiful places in the US, so I won't be getting bored anytime soon. icon_eek.gif

Glad to see this thread, I've been eyeing a bug that has been sitting in a cache near me for a few weeks. I've left him alone because I've been accused of bug grabbin. icon_mad.gif I try to get as many TBs as I can. (their fun) I also feel sorry for them being left alone for long periods of time. They need human conpanionship to help them on their way. icon_wink.gif

How do you log your return visit?

As a "Found It" or just as a "note"?

I logged a return visit as a found it, basically to indicate the cache was still there, but in retrospect, a note might have been more appropriate. A "Found It" doesn't mess up any counts or anything does it?

quote:
I logged a return visit as a found it, basically to indicate the cache was still there, but in retrospect, a note might have been more appropriate. A "Found It" doesn't mess up any counts or anything does it?

I don't think it messes up your count, but I think it does replace your previous found it log.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

An extra "found it" on the page does just that, add 1 to your "finds." The system allows a user to log as many "finds" on a cache as they want to. What you do with that piece of information is up to you. Many here think that "finding" a cache a second time is bad form (you already found it, now you're just going back there again).

To answer the second statement above, no. Adding a "note" to a page does not cancel out a previous find. Nor does adding an additional find replace a previous find. They are separate entries and have no relation to each other, and are cummulative.

What you will find is that if you have twi fiybd ut kigs ib tge same cache page on the same day, when you compare the number of finds on your account to the number of caches you've found by looking at the cache list, you'll have one less (the system aggregates it).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching