Boy Scouts Anniversary Geocoin

mo pirate

I will be getting these new coins in the next few weeks so if anyone is interested in the 100 year anniversary of scouts trackable geocoins please email me at packerbacker31@hotmail.com 1 3/4 inch circular. see photos. Price is $30 set of all three or $12 each. $3 shipping for either singles or sets. Continental US only.0fb5549d-1477-43a1-99ec-87776b44b70b.jpg

I you a certified supplier of the Boy Scouts of America? I ask because I know it is very difficult process to get certified. You need to be certified to use the BSA logo or artwork and it does require liability insurance and such to be able to sell their product along with a licensing fee.

I would have to see someone trying to make money off the use of the BSA and their artwork without permission from them.

Couple observations that need to be said......

1. How did the spelling of Geocaching get past Groundspeak? :rolleyes:

2. I hope the numbering, if approved by GS, is better than the displayed model as every second finder will be asking how to log this coin. :(

3. Can i assume the end product doesn't come with the extra website advertising? :huh:

mm

I am so glad we have observant folks out there. I am checking with the manufacturer now. I see all other coin artwork was geocaching.com so I think I just had an early artwork copy. And yes the geocaching codes will be like the usual codes except the start will be SZ on all coins manufactured by StrikeZone. That is similar to other companies. StrikeZone has done lots of commemorative coins and other merchandise for a variety of folks from NHL to a popular beer co, to many other national folks so I believe he has this authorization.

No I would not want an error coin either so I will make sure they are correct before I sell any. Thanks to everyones concerns, I will keep you posted.

YES I will ship these coins to Canada for $1 more per coin or $2 more per coin to most Europe. So $4 per coin to Canada or $5 per coin to most of Europe. thanks for looking.

MO Pirate

1. How did the spelling of Geocaching get past Groundspeak? :P

2. I hope the numbering, if approved by GS, is better than the displayed model as every second finder will be asking how to log this coin. :lol:

3. Can i assume the end product doesn't come with the extra website advertising? :D

mm

Not sure how it got past Groundspeak but it was approved and did not get caught until later. Their reply was the websites both go to the official site. Sorry but it seems like more than one person did not see it!

1. How did the spelling of Geocaching get past Groundspeak? :P

2. I hope the numbering, if approved by GS, is better than the displayed model as every second finder will be asking how to log this coin. :lol:

3. Can i assume the end product doesn't come with the extra website advertising? :D

mm

Not sure how it got past Groundspeak but it was approved and did not get caught until later. Their reply was the websites both go to the official site. Sorry but it seems like more than one person did not see it!

As far as I know, and I haven't done my own coin, Groundspeak doesn't spell check artwork. They just approve designs.

I don't think I would buy a coin that has a misspelling on it even if it will send you to the real geocaching page. I understand a mint error but this is a design error.

I guess geocaching/Groundspeak just missed it too. When asked if they wanted to pay for the new die, I guess they said it might sell better the way it is much the same as mony coins that are double struck or have an error. Anyhow a Limited Edition of 100 each were made this way so if you want it this way get them now or you can wait and see if he does another run. It is nice that it goes to the same place- the geocaching website.

I see you answered a number of other question but not the one below, and for me this is the most important. Do you or StrikeZone have permission from BSA to produce the coin?

I you a certified supplier of the Boy Scouts of America? I ask because I know it is very difficult process to get certified. You need to be certified to use the BSA logo or artwork and it does require liability insurance and such to be able to sell their product along with a licensing fee.

I would have to see someone trying to make money off the use of the BSA and their artwork without permission from them.

Not sure how it got past Groundspeak but it was approved and did not get caught until later.

:P Thanks for the reply, i would have guessed that something so obvious to them which should be on their checklist was missed. :lol: Not having a go at anyone, just pointing out the obvious. :D

I hope the copyright issues are persued to confirm all is in order. Good luck.

mm

Seeing as you skipped answering my question twice now I will assume you don't have BSA permission to sell these coins and will be asking all not to buy these and also asking Groundspeak to terminate the activation codes for these coins.

The BSA take their artwork and use of very seriously and I wish you would do the same.

Mike

It is not up to Groundspeak to make sure you have complied with the BSA logo usage terms. Groundspeak approves designs based on Groundspeak's requirements, not copyrighted material usage, that should have been taken care of before the design was submitted to Groundspeak. The Boy Scouts of America have strict logo usage guidelines, and if you don't want any trouble from them, you should make sure you have permission to use their logo. Please let us know if this is the case. Otherwise, you may run into legal trouble with the BSA.

It sounds like someone should just email the BSA directly. There have been a few licensed BSA geocoins, so pull out the contact email, forward them this thread, and see where it stands. If the question is not being answered, ask someone up the ladder.

TMA

In an email 'mo pirate' indicated he didn;t have permission but he thought SrikeForce did:

...StrikeZone has done lots of commemorative coins and other merchandise for a variety of folks from NHL to a popular beer co, to many other national folks so I believe he has this authorization.

MO Pirate

The BSA is very strick on its licensing. Not easy to get permission and reselling the product is a no no. For example I produced a coin thru coinsandpins and they were able to sell but I was not.

I am asking 'mo pirate' to figure this out before I get the BSA invovled.

Mike

It sounds like someone should just email the BSA directly. There have been a few licensed BSA geocoins, so pull out the contact email, forward them this thread, and see where it stands. If the question is not being answered, ask someone up the ladder.

TMA

In an email 'mo pirate' indicated he didn;t have permission but he thought SrikeForce did:

...StrikeZone has done lots of commemorative coins and other merchandise for a variety of folks from NHL to a popular beer co, to many other national folks so I believe he has this authorization.

MO Pirate

The BSA is very strick on its licensing. Not easy to get permission and reselling the product is a no no. For example I produced a coin thru coinsandpins and they were able to sell but I was not.

I am asking 'mo pirate' to figure this out before I get the BSA invovled.

Mike

I got a response from Tony at StrikeZone who said it was done with a local scout troop as part of a fundraiser. So I am not sure what is going on. I will wait and see what shakes out as I don't have them yet anyway. Maybe I will never get them. What a shame as it is a really nice looking coin set. 100 of each were to be made so it is LE. I will wait and see if it gets all cleared up.

Local Scount troops need to get permission from their council and tell how this would be used. I don't think you getting some kind of LE direct from the manufacturer was at all how it was intened with the council. At a minimum there should be a Scout or Scout Master from that troop in here trying to sell the coins not some random person that is trying to make a buck off the troop and the Boy Scouts.

I was just thinking...(I know dangerous)... Who was the one who got the codes from Groundspeak, you the Scout troop or SrikeForce? I ask becasue you came in here selling the coin like you owned it and were having them made and now you say some Scout troop did these as a fundraiser. If it was a fundraiser for a local troop can I have that troop info so I can contact them and get the coins from them, so it continues to be a fundraiser for them and not you?

By your statements you seem to be removed from the troop which worries me even more. Who are you buying the coins from, the troop or StikeForce?

I am so confused, is StrikeForce just producing more of these and selling them to you, even though the first run was for a Scout troop? Please clarify before I commit to buying anything.

I will mention again, I like the coin (would like to see the real thing and not just artwork) and I am interested in buying if this is BSA approved.

Mike

Nope, they aren't licensed. If they were, the BSA eagle logo and the phrase "Be Prepared" would carry the "registered trademark" symbol on the coin.

From BSA Trademark Listing

"In effect, just about any mark that reasonably relates to BSA or its program is protected. Accordingly, anyone seeking to use any marks, words, or phrases, which may reasonably be related to the BSA and its programs should contact the BSA Legal Department at 972-580-2000 to obtain permission in advance for such use.

If you or anyone you know are using any of these trademarks without authorization, please contact the BSA immediately. "

If you or anyone you know are using any of these trademarks without authorization, please contact the BSA immediately. "

Done! I gave the OP plenty of time to resolve the issue and the respoose aprears to be sell them on eBay. I'll be contacting them to let eBay know that these are unlicensed product and hoep they shut the list and or user who is selling them.

Done! I gave the OP plenty of time to resolve the issue and the respoose aprears to be sell them on eBay. I'll be contacting them to let eBay know that these are unlicensed product and hoep they shut the list and or user who is selling them.

Unfortunately, the OP's coins are apparently not sanctioned by the BSA and it will be interesting to see how long it takes eBay to cancel those listings.

If you do a search on eBay for Boy Scouts geocoin, you will find another BSA 100th Anniversary geocoin sponsored by Utah National Parks Council. This one does have the correct usage of the BSA logo with registration marks and appears to be an officially sanctioned product (though I have no way of knowing and am not the seller of the coin). I mention this only as a reference.

Ethically, we have a moral obligation not to purchase unsanctioned, unlicensed "bootlegged" product. But some may see it as a chance to obtain a potentially rare collectible. BSA will certainly pursue legal action against the seller and manufacturer and force the destruction of all existing stock.

Frankly, at these prices, I rather spend my money on one of Tsun's beauties...

:rolleyes:

Have you gotten a response from any of the involved parties here? The coins have been relisted on eBay and remain available for purchase. I don't know if any one else is following this thread, but I am interested in seeing if the powers that be actually resolve these issues. Any progress reported in this thread is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the OP's coins are apparently not sanctioned by the BSA and it will be interesting to see how long it takes eBay to cancel those listings.

If you do a search on eBay for Boy Scouts geocoin, you will find another BSA 100th Anniversary geocoin sponsored by Utah National Parks Council. This one does have the correct usage of the BSA logo with registration marks and appears to be an officially sanctioned product (though I have no way of knowing and am not the seller of the coin). I mention this only as a reference.

Ethically, we have a moral obligation not to purchase unsanctioned, unlicensed "bootlegged" product. But some may see it as a chance to obtain a potentially rare collectible. BSA will certainly pursue legal action against the seller and manufacturer and force the destruction of all existing stock.

:laughing:

I am the seller of the Authentic BSA coins mention in your thread. They are the real McCoy and come in Ant Bronze or Copper.

I saw the knock offs you refer to. I ask the communmity this, Why stop at the BSA coins. If you look around there are several copyright infringments going on. From disney to pro sports. Who's watching those?

This is exactly why I decided to come up with my own branded designs, copyrighted and trademarked, (not the BSA coins). Not that it will stop knock offs but at least i can do something about it.

I know I'm the newbie in this area and not as aware of what is going on as you senior members are but I am trying to do this correctly.

So who do you blame for the knock offs? The mint for making them? The designer for designing them? The seller for selling them? Or all 3?

Yes Mike, I am profiting from the sale of the BSA coins but so is the BSA. Like all business's I need to turn a profit to stay in business and I enjoy promoting a worthwhile organization like the BSA. I was a boy scout myself.

I agree with everyone that unlicensed products should not be bought by us, collectable or not.

Phish_bonz - the new phish in the water!

Edited by Phish_bonz

:laughing:

I am the seller of the Authentic BSA coins mention in your thread. They are the real McCoy and come in Ant Bronze or Copper.

I saw the knock offs you refer to. I ask the communmity this, Why stop at the BSA coins. If you look around there are several copyright infringments going on. From disney to pro sports. Who's watching those?

This is exactly why I decided to come up with my own branded designs, copyrighted and trademarked, (not the BSA coins). Not that it will stop knock offs but at least i can do something about it.

I know I'm the newbie in this area and not as aware of what is going on as you senior members are but I am trying to do this correctly.

So who do you blame for the knock offs? The mint for making them? The designer for designing them? The seller for selling them? Or all 3?

Yes Mike, I am profiting from the sale of the BSA coins but so is the BSA. Like all business's I need to turn a profit to stay in business and I enjoy promoting a worthwhile organization like the BSA. I was a boy scout myself.

I agree with everyone that unlicensed products should not be bought by us, collectable or not.

Phish_bonz - the new phish in the water!

What he said.

Rules are rules, and trademarks are trademarks. A person, organization or company that legally holds the intellectual property rights to a copyrighted or trademarked name, logo or character solely holds the rights to benefit from that subject matter. That's the real world, folks.

Just because you feel strongly about a subject, or have a direct affiliation with it, does not mean you can go ahead and create and/or sell a product that "borrows" that subject matter.

For the most part, geocoin creators have stayed under the radar with respect to these problems, and I'd like to see it stay that way. This is for the benefit of all of us here, and geocoin enthusiasts everywhere.

This is not only a cautionary tale for would-be designers. Coin companies should also be maintaining responsibility when presented ideas that feature questionable material. Like Phish said, there are geocoins and tokens frequently sold on eBay that incorporate trademarked cartoon characters, brand logos, etc...and somebody is making them. Sending the client an e-mail disclaimer saying "we are not responsible for copyrighted artwork" is the equivalent of burying your head in the sand.

Be responsible.

Be original.

And support those who are.

To all concerned. YES, these coins are approved by our local council, we have correspondence to verify it. We are affiliated with a local troop and donate coins and money for their fund raising purposes. I am the owner of Strike Zone, Inc., and have no reason to jeopardize our companies good standing with an unauthorized item. We have been in the licensing/custom business for over 25 years and jump though as many hoops as necessary to certify our products. The BSA coin has our web site on it. It would not make sense to do that if we had something to hide. We are open to discuss by phone or e-mail with anyone who feels the need to follow up further. Best to all ... Tony George, President ... 949-589-6075[/font][/font]

To all concerned. YES, these coins are approved by our local council, we have correspondence to verify it. We are affiliated with a local troop and donate coins and money for their fund raising purposes. I am the owner of Strike Zone, Inc., and have no reason to jeopardize our companies good standing with an unauthorized item. We have been in the licensing/custom business for over 25 years and jump though as many hoops as necessary to certify our products. The BSA coin has our web site on it. It would not make sense to do that if we had something to hide. We are open to discuss by phone or e-mail with anyone who feels the need to follow up further. Best to all ... Tony George, President ... 949-589-6075[/font][/font]

:blink: thanks tony for clearing all that up. I look forward to having you make me coins in the future as the 100 year anniversary coins of the Boy Scouts were awesome. I saw the letter from your council and it is good enough for me. thanks again!

Just purchased three of these from eBay. The quality is very poor! Notice the spelling - geocashing.com. Two of the three coin's enamel is faded on one side. The Utah National Parks coins are of better quality. I stopped by their Orem, UT offices the other day an purchased a couple. Much nicer than these.

I wondered if these were a mistake so I looked up strikeszoneinc.com and could find them on that site. Anyhow, just one person's experience.