Geocaching needs a nickname for.......

Boxcars

I'm not here to whine about those who always trade down their swag, there's plenty of that in these forums already. I was just thinking we need to come up with a good nickname to describe this practice, and maybe shame one or two into rethinking their how they trade swag. I'm thinking something like "Downgraders", or perhaps "Swag-baggers". What words come to your mind when you find a cache with nothing but pennies, or bottle caps within?

I'm not here to whine about those who always trade down their swag, there's plenty of that in these forums already. I was just thinking we need to come up with a good nickname to describe this practice, and maybe shame one or two into rethinking their how they trade swag. I'm thinking something like "Downgraders", or perhaps "Swag-baggers". What words come to your mind when you find a cache with nothing but pennies, or bottle caps within?

Swag-baggers...that made me chuckle.

My vote goes to "People-who-geocache-and-when-they-find-a-cache-with-swaps-trade-down-or-just-take-swaps-without-trading-at-all" - or PWGAWTFACWSTDOJTSWTAA for short.

Hopefully if the nickname's this long winded, people won't feel the need to use it at all - and can just talk and write in the language they were taught without having to shorten everything to an acronym, set of initials, or nickname... :anibad::laughing::(:(

Edited to add - please forgive the above statement, which sounds overly sarcastic and facetious even to me. With hindsight, I can't even begin to imagine how we've survived for the past 10 years without having a shortened version of PWGAWTFACWSTDOJTSWTAA at out fingertips :)

Edited by keehotee

Swag tends to be for the children, adults tend to cache for other reasons - perhaps after you have found more than 18 caches you may come to the same conclusion.

Swag tends to be for the children, adults tend to cache for other reasons - perhaps after you have found more than 18 caches you may come to the same conclusion.

My kids didn't like the bottle caps either. :rolleyes:

My kids didn't like the bottle caps either. :rolleyes:

I agree - but if it bothers people that much why not just trade it or just ignore it - it is something aint gonna change and people winging about it aint gonna help.

How about a name for cachers who get into a snit about cache degradation because they don't happen to want what's in a cache?

I didn't see anyone get in a snit but you.

Your little obsession with me was funny for a while, but the weird comment stalking and private messages are starting to get a little creepy. Can you give it a rest, please?

How about a name for cachers who get into a snit about cache degradation because they don't happen to want what's in a cache?

I didn't see anyone get in a snit but you.

Your little obsession with me was funny for a while, but the weird comment stalking and private messages are starting to get a little creepy. Can you give it a rest, please?

Actually It's the other way around dude. Please inform me when the last time I private messaged you and about what?

I had no idea I wasn't allowed to reply to things you have posted.

Please stop attacking me.

Hey everybody, relax. I'm just trying to have a little fun here. I hope someday to introduce my grandchildren to geocaching, and I'm thinking in order to make it fun for them, I'll have to visit the cache first to put some trinkets in there so they wont be disappointed. I thought of some more names to nominate:

Cache-monkeys

Geo-imps

Penny poppers

Dirt devils

Bealza-baggers

Box bullies

Geo-bullies

Travel slugs

Travel grubs

Cache-outers

Geo-vultures

Ammo slammos

Swag worts

Stink bugs

Cache hog

Swag swine

On the idea of "muggles", I was just wondering if one of these might catch on.

P.S. How about a nickname for people in these forums who run to check your profile, them make a snide remark to make you feel like you have no right to an opinion simply because you're new?

Hey everybody, relax. I'm just trying to have a little fun here. I hope someday to introduce my grandchildren to geocaching, and I'm thinking in order to make it fun for them, I'll have to visit the cache first to put some trinkets in there so they wont be disappointed.

Geocaching isn't fun for kids unless they get something shiny and new? That's kind of sad.

My four-year-old son seems to have fun when we geocache, and we rarely pay attention to trade items at all. He likes to go for drives, he enjoys scampering down trails, he's thrilled when we see any kind of wildlife. He likes to look inside geocaches, and seems to enjoy just looking at what's there and putting it back. When we find micros, he's equally curious about those even though there aren't any trade items in them at all.

Instead of setting children up with anticipation about the stuff inside the cache, emphasize the fun involved in FINDING the cache.

Ever seen that show on the History channel where the two guys dig through the garbage in old barns and such? They go through and leave all the trash but take the good stuff for a fraction of what it's worth. They call themselves "Pickers". That work for you?
Are you suggesting "Billybob Cachepickers?" :rolleyes:

My four-year-old son seems to have fun when we geocache, and we rarely pay attention to trade items at all. He likes to go for drives, he enjoys scampering down trails, he's thrilled when we see any kind of wildlife. He likes to look inside geocaches, and seems to enjoy just looking at what's there and putting it back. When we find micros, he's equally curious about those even though there aren't any trade items in them at all.

How are you going to prepare him to be a proper materialist/consumer that way? It is your job as parent to make sure he grows up coveting possessions. I suppose you're teaching him that bigger isn't always better, too, by showing him that micros are not evil? Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

(for those that don't hang here regularly... that was humor)

Edited by knowschad

My husband and I do not have children, so we don't care much either way about swag. However, I can see how it would be a little bonus for kids to find neat stuff in the caches that are big enough to hold swag. I don't think you are teaching them anything wrong by getting a little bit excited about cool items unless you throw a big fit when you don't find anything good in the cache. It's awesome for kids to just get out and hunt just for the hunt, but on the other hand it is probably fun for kids to find interesting things in the normal or large sized caches too. It is just another element to the game. I do believe, though, that it is kind of annoying when people put junk in a cache. It just seems kind of disrespectful to the people who left interesting things in the cache for their fellow cachers to find when those things are replaced with tissues, twigs, or dirty sweatsocks (all things I have found and removed recently). I think it was cute of the OP to come up with a light-hearted post to determine silly names for people who do not trade fairly. I just figured he was trying to be funny. There seems to be lots of funny names people on the forums give to others that they find unsavory (sock puppet, troll, cache magget, etc). People need to not take things so seriously. Personally I thought many of the terms the OP came up with were cute and clever.

I'm not convinced that there are many cachers out there who pick all the "good" things out of caches at once.

I don't think anyone is saying that this happens all at once. You may have gotten that idea from my post about the show on the history channel? The O was just looking for a term for people who trade down a cache or just take without trading. Something in addition to "geocacher".

My husband and I do not have children, so we don't care much either way about swag. However, I can see how it would be a little bonus for kids to find neat stuff in the caches that are big enough to hold swag. I don't think you are teaching them anything wrong by getting a little bit excited about cool items unless you throw a big fit when you don't find anything good in the cache. It's awesome for kids to just get out and hunt just for the hunt, but on the other hand it is probably fun for kids to find interesting things in the normal or large sized caches too. It is just another element to the game. I do believe, though, that it is kind of annoying when people put junk in a cache. It just seems kind of disrespectful to the people who left interesting things in the cache for their fellow cachers to find when those things are replaced with tissues, twigs, or dirty sweatsocks (all things I have found and removed recently). I think it was cute of the OP to come up with a light-hearted post to determine silly names for people who do not trade fairly. I just figured he was trying to be funny. There seems to be lots of funny names people on the forums give to others that they find unsavory (sock puppet, troll, cache magget, etc). People need to not take things so seriously. Personally I thought many of the terms the OP came up with were cute and clever.

Well put.

I'm not convinced that there are many cachers out there who pick all the "good" things out of caches at once.

Did you intend to post that in this thread or did you make a mistake because I did not see anyone here advocate doing that or even mention it. :P

Have you been watching us? :P:D We cache with our kids, and that pretty well sums up our experience. They don't like to hike much, and tend to get cranky if we try to do more than 2 or 3 caches at a time. The swag is at least one little incentive to keep them going. We don't *need* good swag, nor do they, but they enjoy poking around in all the goodies, and almost always find something that they want to trade for. What's funny to me is what they choose sometimes. They'll bypass what I think looks neat for a shiny rock, or a bead or something. My older daughter really likes foreign coins. They have also snagged a few old golf balls. Funny what they consider to be treasure sometimes!

We already have a name, but I can't post it, or I may get a week ban. I will give you a hint, kind of like wheel of fortune.

F _ _ _ _ _ g

A _ _

H _ _ _!

Edited by Andronicus

I don't think anyone is saying that this happens all at once. You may have gotten that idea from my post about the show on the history channel? The O was just looking for a term for people who trade down a cache or just take without trading. Something in addition to "geocacher".

I dunno, it just seems like many of the names people are suggesting have this connotation of greedy, conniving hucksters who gleefully grab all the "good" stuff out of the caches and sneak away chuckling and twirling their villain moustaches.

Of course, it's always been my contention that trade items should not be taken so seriously.

I liked the "cache baggers" and "cache pickers", there are a lot a great suggestions! My kids just refer to those who trade down as "fun-suckers". So far I've not had to use a bar of soap for swapping the first letters. :P

For the record I'm 42 and my kids don't care to trade unless there is something they think is pretty neato. I keep little screwdrivers, tape measures, - you know- handy adult stuff- to trade up- if I find something I think is cool or if the cache has been depleted I'll put some extra stuff in it.

I dunno, it just seems like many of the names people are suggesting have this connotation of greedy, conniving hucksters who gleefully grab all the "good" stuff out of the caches and sneak away chuckling and twirling their villain moustaches.

Of course, it's always been my contention that trade items should not be taken so seriously.

That actually made me snicker.

I guess its true, the measure of a persons character is based on how they conduct themselves when they know they won't get caught. Thanks to all of you who helped keep this discussion light, although I thought I saw someone wearing a black cape fleeing a cache once.........

whatever the name.... we have one in the area who is notorious for trading down. he'll put it in his online log too... "took oakley sunglasses, left stick"

and he means a stick he picked up at the cache site.

basically, you know these people exist. if you can't stand to see something end up out of circulation (including the precious geocoins) don't put them in a cache to begin with. as for going out hunting for caches that might have good swag and finding a box of rocks, sticks, business cards and bottle tops, that a let down. as is always pointed out in other topics, some people play the game differently. some people seem to play to see how many times they can get away with stuffing a cache full of sticks and rocks.

How about "Selfish, hapless idiots that have expunged all decent swag"?

Hmmm... What's the acronym for that? Never mind. :P

I like that acronym.

Personally I don't care about the swag. All I usually take is lapel pins or "dry" sew on patches. When I'm with my kids, they don't usually take anything unless it is something unique.

Ever seen that show on the History channel where the two guys dig through the garbage in old barns and such? They go through and leave all the trash but take the good stuff for a fraction of what it's worth. They call themselves "Pickers". That work for you?

Wow, is that what that show is about? I might actually enjoy watching that.

I've skimmed right past it on the channel guide, because I thought it was about some guys in a string band playing old-timey music.

As to the OP: be the change you want to see in the world. The only person whose actions you can control is you.

Have you been watching us? :P:D We cache with our kids, and that pretty well sums up our experience. They don't like to hike much, and tend to get cranky if we try to do more than 2 or 3 caches at a time. The swag is at least one little incentive to keep them going. We don't *need* good swag, nor do they, but they enjoy poking around in all the goodies, and almost always find something that they want to trade for. What's funny to me is what they choose sometimes. They'll bypass what I think looks neat for a shiny rock, or a bead or something. My older daughter really likes foreign coins. They have also snagged a few old golf balls. Funny what they consider to be treasure sometimes!

I'm new but I'm still going to comment :lol: heh.

I don't have children, I am 46 years old. I would have LOVED to go with my parents (or I should say parent --- singular) and do something like geocaching when I was a kid. I can see where it would be exciting just to FIND the cache and a definite bonus if there was something really neat inside.

But I'm the type (and always have been) who gives more than I receive or would rather give than receive.

I have left some neat stuff and I have taken it upon myself to "maintain" (if needed) the few caches I have found . I haven't taken anything... not yet ... and if I do I will probably fill up the cache with every piece of swag/trinket that I had on me so I would be sure that I traded equally.

Really - who's to say what's an equal trade? A $5 gift card to Starbucks is worth nothing to a 5 year old kid but a super mario action figure that was in the $1.00 bin at Wal Mart is worth a million bucks to that same kid.

I found a belt buckle at a flea market yesterday -- it looks exactly like a roll of 100 dollar bills and it is HYSTERICAL!! It's quirky, never seen anything like it before.... no one in their right mind would probably wear the thing..... It is going to be my FTF prize for my next cache..... :D

Personally I have started this hobby or sport to get out of the house --- i love hiking and finding caches along the way makes it even more fun.

The other day we saw a bob cat which was just the coolest thing.

I agree that people should have some kind of etiquette with the contents of the caches, i.e., don't swipe all the good stuff all at once, don't leave offensive material in the cache --

.... but even adults will act like spoiled children sometimes.

swag snaggers?

When people run in a race without paying they're called "bandits". There is a movement in the running community to change that to weasels because somehow bandit sounds too cool.

so whatever it is, it needs to have a certain negative connotation

It might be fun to be a bandit but who wants to be a naked mole rat.

Wow, is that what that show is about? I might actually enjoy watching that.

I've skimmed right past it on the channel guide, because I thought it was about some guys in a string band playing old-timey music.

As to the OP: be the change you want to see in the world. The only person whose actions you can control is you.

American Pickers, on History Channel. I love it.