Have I miss understood this ?

Pickering Family
Followers 1

Our family bought a car sticker travel bug. It has the letters EAC*** on the car sticker. The dog tags that came with the sticker have no numbers or reference on at all. I understand from the 6 page thread that the dog tags stay in the drawer and that the vehicle stays in my posession and can only be logged as discovered.

I went to the activation page and input the EAC*** reference and the activation code supplied with the car sticker and it generated a reference letters/numbers combination of TB3G***

Now my understanding is to log the whereabouts of a bug placed in a cache you enter the TB3*** ref. The EAC*** is then used to confirm that the person has actually found the bug. You do not release details of the EAC number ?

So how does it work with a vehicle then ? Do I have to put the TB3G*** ref on the vehicle. Everyone can see the EAC*** ref on the vehicle sticker but I thought you were not meant to give that out ?

If I enter the EAC*** ref on the found travel bug input part of the webiste it doesnt recognise it.

Have I misunderstood something or am I just not getting this ? :laughing::anibad:

Do i need to create this vehicle bug as a new cache by filling in the create cache form ?

Any help most welcome as we are very new to all this and have fun with our young children caching

Edited by Pickering Family

Ya, you seem a bit mixed up.

A travel bug has 2 codes associated with it - a tracking code and a reference code. The reference code (yours being TB3GYVJ :anibad:) is public info, and used in case someone wants to share the trackable's page with someone else. Anyone can use that code to look at the page - see its mission, where it's been, who's moved it previously, ect, but not to log it themselves. The tracking code is the EAC***, and people use that one as both the identifier and confirmation code when logging your trackable. You were right to censor that one in your post - the only way anyone should know that code is to read it off of the actual traveler.

So both codes will take you to the traveler's page, but only the physical code on the bug will let you interact with the traveler.

(it's late, so I hope that all made sense - edited for that purpose)

Edited by aniyn

So how does it work with a vehicle then ? Do I have to put the TB3G*** ref on the vehicle. Everyone can see the EAC*** ref on the vehicle sticker but I thought you were not meant to give that out ?

If I enter the EAC*** ref on the found travel bug input part of the webiste it doesnt recognise it.

Have I misunderstood something or am I just not getting this ? :laughing::anibad:

Do i need to create this vehicle bug as a new cache by filling in the create cache form ?

Any help most welcome as we are very new to all this and have fun with our young children caching

The EAC*** bit which is under the TB decal on your vehicle is the bit that other cachers will use to log that they've seen it somewhere. You don't need to put the TB3G*** part anywhere on the vehicle. You/anyone should be able to log your vehicle using the tracking number EAC*** only.

No, you don't need to create any new cache or anything for this trackable item. Generally, vehicle TBs get 'discovered' when owners attend geocaching events, or park up somewhere to search for a cache, and the car gets spotted in the carpark.

MrsB

and that the vehicle stays in my posession and can only be logged as discovered.

If your car can visit the cache location (parking log lamp-post caches, event caches) you can log it through the cache page listing.

The dogtags have no tracking number imprinted on them? Isn't that interesting.

The dogtags have no tracking number imprinted on them? Isn't that interesting.

Yep, that's interesting, and puzzling. What could be the purpose of dogtags with no number?

I don't know, but I would be willing to take a few from someone who doesn't want theirs.

The dog tags look exactly the same as all the other ones. One side says the travel bug and has the bug picture. Underneath it says trackable at geocahcing .com

other side says copy tag and says record tracking code below

it then says tracking code:

Name/Goal:

the instructions say to use a permanant marker to write details on it. My wife it from a uk based geocache online shop

thanks for all the replies its cleared the subject up for me :anibad: