I love earthcaches except for.......

Flaggal

I love doing earthcaches and Virtuals...they are one of my favorites..especially in the winter months, i live in Minnesota and these are the caches I love doing in the winter.....one problem.....alot of the time, I download the caches onto my gps without reading the description...I get there, load up the IPHONE and find out i need a Thermometer....Thermometer????????? (hopefully I spelled that right) I need to take a reading of the water temp. Oh lordy, you have to be kidding me? I am at the cache site and I am unprepared......I understand the logics of the cache however I do not go out caching with a thermometer on hand.....I understand the research that goes into one of these caches and can appreciate it fully...however........I am far away from home and no thermometer on hand.....What is a poor gal to do? I walk away with a DNF. URGGGGG

i always wondered how people get DNF's on earthcaches and virtuals :(

dip your finger in the water and make a guesstimate :anibad:

i think if you got all the other requirements done to log the cache, maybe include a picture at the site too, and explain to the CO in an email that you had no thermometer the majority will be understanding, emphasis on "majority" :laughing:

:anibad: One of my earthcaches requires use of a thermometer... Someone else's I know requires a bucket, another requires two containers to old dirt samples.... :laughing:

The thing to remember about earthcaches is that sometimes, you need more than a GPS. You just gotta read the description before you set out, or risk getting a DNC - did not complete!

I can certainly sympathize with your disappointment at realizing you've come unprepared. I've had to pass on a few Earthcaches because I wasn't prepared to complete the on-site tasks.

The solution is to read Earthcache descriptions in advance, so you can go to the site prepared. Earthcaches often involve tasks that require special tools, like thermometers, buckets, measuring tapes, and cameras. Earthcache owners put a great deal of thought into creating rigorous on-site tasks that are meant to teach you about the feature you're visiting. Often, these tasks are the only reliable way Earthcache owners have to filter out armchair logs.

dip your finger in the water and make a guesstimate tongue_animated.gif

Necessity is the mother of invention :anibad: . I would probably give it my best shot with the resources that I have on hand. Most of the time cache owners will be a bit more forgiving if the Logging Requirements are approached with a bit of levity and a good dose of tongue in cheek.

Best of luck.

I like to cache paperlessly too, when I can, both for the convenience and for the salvation of trees. That said though, there are some caches out there that you just have to read up on, and sometimes even print out and take with you. In my opinion, those are the best ones. Not just Earthcaches, but multis and puzzles too. Hopefully the day will never come when people start "dumbing down" their caches so they can all be done by iPhones and pocket queries. That'll be the day I hang up my GPS.

Edited by Arby Gee

Why not read the Earth Cache BEFORE you go and be prepared? They are for learning something, not just getting another smiley. Earth caches are not designed to be paperless, and jeeze, one piece of paper isn't going to save a forest!

In another thread a user asked EarthCachers to post the logging requirements up front because their paperless unit cuts off after so many characters. B)

Why not read the Earth Cache BEFORE you go and be prepared? They are for learning something, not just getting another smiley. Earth caches are not designed to be paperless, and jeeze, one piece of paper isn't going to save a forest!

In another thread a user asked EarthCachers to post the logging requirements up front because their paperless unit cuts off after so many characters. :D

Here is that thread, you may notice it makes the statement that doing so is a courtesy easily extended. Paperless caching is a fact of life now and many cachers have never known another way to go about it. Why not let these cachers or cachers who are totally unfamiliar with EarthCaches know upfront that these are a different type of cache and have different requirements to log. Not everyone knows that preparation is needed for a visit to an EC.

My intent with an EC is to teach a lesson, not to delete logs and alienate those who may be doing an EC for the first time. My first experience at an EC was not the best, although not the developers fault, because of confusion over the logging requirements and I could have easily never gone to visit another EC. If that had been the case I would have missed out on some wonderful sites and experiences and I would not have been able to share my lessons with other appreciative cachers.

The word courtesy in that thread, after the initial use, was wrapped in quotes of sarcasm. That came off, to me at least, as being very elitist and controlling. Why should some one who develops an EarthCache be above courtesy to their visitors? There is nothing sancrosanct about an EarthCache writeup. Nothing that prevents helping those new to EC's know that they are different from geocaches.

My latest EC I'm developing will have the following, upfront, before anything else on the page.

"This is an EarthCache, a special category of caches developed by a partnership between the Geological Society of America and Groundspeak. They are intended to help educate geocachers about the earth processes of the world we live in. There is no container or log to be signed; however there are tasks that must be fulfilled to log this as a find online. Often a tool, such as a thermometer or camera, will be required as well. These tasks, and any tools needed, will be outlined on the cache page.

Please be aware that if you cache paperless, this information may become truncated (cut short by device data restrictions.) To get the most from your visit, it is highly recommended that the entire cache page be read and printed prior to visiting EarthCache sites. Logs not meeting the requirements are subject to deletion."

I will also add that to a few of my existing EC's that do not already have the logging requirements upfront already.

I am not demanding that all EC developers do likewise to accommodate paperless cachers. All I have ever said was to consider extending that courtesy when writing up an EC. Paperless cachers are not a second class geocacher just cachers who use different devices. Those unfamiliar with EarthCaching would do better with some guidance rather than the slap of a log deletion.

I see value in doing this, both for myself and other geocachers.

I am not demanding that all EC developers do likewise to accommodate paperless cachers. All I have ever said was to consider extending that courtesy when writing up an EC. Paperless cachers are not a second class geocacher just cachers who use different devices. Those unfamiliar with EarthCaching would do better with some guidance rather than the slap of a log deletion.

:D

I strongly disapprove of the "courtesy" context you insist on attaching to this. Earthcache developers put considerable time into their caches and have to take many different requirements into consideration in order to get them published.

As a proud owner of an Oregon 450, I understand that it's *my* responsibility to use my head, be prepared, and not rely entirely on my GPS. I neither expect nor want cache owners to hold my hand through every cache that's a little more complicated than a lamp post micro.

There's nothing wrong or "second class" about slapping a pocket query on your GPSr and running out the door. Cachers who choose to cache that way are eventually going to find themselves unprepared for some caches. This has occasionally happened to me, and it's disappointing. However, it's completely irrational to blame my lack of preparation on the cacher owner.

I see nothing wrong with the blurb you're now putting on your cache descriptions, but it's not going to help with cachers who don't read the page. When I have new cachers erroneously log a find on one of my Earthcaches, I send them something similar via email and give them some time to respond.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." You can add all the "courtesy" you want to a cache page, but if a cacher isn't inclined to read cache pages in advance, it won't make a difference. I'm not inclined to bend over backwards to accommodate people who won't read what is readily available to them and don't have the "courtesy" to learn the rules before playing a game.

:laughing:

I strongly disapprove of the "courtesy" context you insist on attaching to this. Earthcache developers put considerable time into their caches and have to take many different requirements into consideration in order to get them published.

snip

As I have stated, I am not demanding anything. If one is not predisposed to being courteous, then one need not consider it... or be considerate.

As I have stated, I am not demanding anything. If one is not predisposed to being courteous, then one need not consider it... or be considerate.

The entire act of creating and maintaining an Earthcache is a courtesy to the geocaching community.

Cloaking things in this presumption of "courtesy" is just a passive-aggressive way of demanding it.

Do it, or I'll tell everybody that you're not "courteous." No, that's not demanding at all. :laughing:

Would be nice if for Earthcaches will be special attributes like: necessary measuring tape, thermometer, magnet etc :)

Unfortunately, people who don't read the cache descriptions in advance likely won't see the attributes either.

The most courteous thing an Earthcache owner can do is follow the guidelines and write the cache description with clarity and precision. Whether or not a geocacher chooses to read the description is beyond the cache owner's control.

So what do you do when you arrive at a traditional cache and find out you need a string with a magnet on the end, or two liters of water, or a pole or stick to reach something, or a friend to give you a boost?

There is a "special tool required" attribute but that is still going to mean a cacher needs to read the full description.

Is much easier look at attributes (or just filter out caches by attributes), than search in whole text what tools are necessary. Especially now, when caches can be published in local language only (!).

This is a twisting of the guideline. The guidelines does NOT say that it has to be in the 'local language only', but the notes must be provided in the local language (and any other language you wish to add is a bonus).

Please don't make it harder than it really is...

Is much easier look at attributes (or just filter out caches by attributes), than search in whole text what tools are necessary. Especially now, when caches can be published in local language only (!).

This is a twisting of the guideline. The guidelines does NOT say that it has to be in the 'local language only', but the notes must be provided in the local language (and any other language you wish to add is a bonus).

Please don't make it harder than it really is...

Sorry about it, it wasn't my intention twisting guideline. I didn't write "has to be" but "can". Because an EarthCache CAN be published in local language - is it not right?

In another thread a user asked EarthCachers to post the logging requirements up front because their paperless unit cuts off after so many characters. :)

Here is that thread, you may notice it makes the statement that doing so is a courtesy easily extended. Paperless caching is a fact of life now and many cachers have never known another way to go about it. Why not let these cachers or cachers who are totally unfamiliar with EarthCaches know upfront that these are a different type of cache and have different requirements to log. Not everyone knows that preparation is needed for a visit to an EC.

My intent with an EC is to teach a lesson, not to delete logs and alienate those who may be doing an EC for the first time. My first experience at an EC was not the best, although not the developers fault, because of confusion over the logging requirements and I could have easily never gone to visit another EC. If that had been the case I would have missed out on some wonderful sites and experiences and I would not have been able to share my lessons with other appreciative cachers.

The word courtesy in that thread, after the initial use, was wrapped in quotes of sarcasm. That came off, to me at least, as being very elitist and controlling. Why should some one who develops an EarthCache be above courtesy to their visitors? There is nothing sancrosanct about an EarthCache writeup. Nothing that prevents helping those new to EC's know that they are different from geocaches.

My latest EC I'm developing will have the following, upfront, before anything else on the page.

"This is an EarthCache, a special category of caches developed by a partnership between the Geological Society of America and Groundspeak. They are intended to help educate geocachers about the earth processes of the world we live in. There is no container or log to be signed; however there are tasks that must be fulfilled to log this as a find online. Often a tool, such as a thermometer or camera, will be required as well. These tasks, and any tools needed, will be outlined on the cache page.

Please be aware that if you cache paperless, this information may become truncated (cut short by device data restrictions.) To get the most from your visit, it is highly recommended that the entire cache page be read and printed prior to visiting EarthCache sites. Logs not meeting the requirements are subject to deletion."

I will also add that to a few of my existing EC's that do not already have the logging requirements upfront already.

I understand your point, but adding all that extra verbiage to an already long cache description is just going to make it all the tougher for people to read through it. I don't want to bore people who are serious about doing Earthcaches with a bunch of extraneous text that tells them nothing more than the Earthcache icon tells them already.

I understand your point, but adding all that extra verbiage to an already long cache description is just going to make it all the tougher for people to read through it. I don't want to bore people who are serious about doing Earthcaches with a bunch of extraneous text that tells them nothing more than the Earthcache icon tells them already.

+1

There comes a point when trying to be "courteous" to one group of people results in something that is truly discourteous to others.