There is a member warning n00bs not to geocache

I have wondered why Groundspeak does not verify private property permission as part of the review process.

and how exactly do you propose they do that?

The exact same way they do for earthcaches. But I probably should have said "require" permission rather than "verify." With earthcaches, of course, cachers are required to verify that they received permission.

Edited by mulvaney

I just got the email as well. Obviously the guy is spamming. Maybe he had a bad experience himself or knows someone who did. IMHO, there is a shred of truth to what he's saying.

I personally don't do "urban" caches or even "suburban" and stick to the woods. It's the sad reality that people don't hesitate to call the police every 30 seconds and the general fear of LEO's.

Common sense isn't so common.

Got one from suenpete, forwarded to gs

What do you have to do to get one of these? Haven't I found enough caches, placed enough hides, posted enough on the forum, posted on the feedback site? I can't just sit around waiting all day. I guess I am going to have to get ready to do some caching on my furlough day. LEOs and all.

Forwarded mine to contact@GC...I'm guessing they will shut that account quickly...Wonder is FuzzBuket is anyone we know?

I guess I'm late to the party, as I just saw my email notification from last night. I was wondering the same thing as you Robert, but at least the email is in proper English, and readable. That rules out a certain persistent twit who has a compulsion to keep trolling this forum.

Not necessarily my long lost mountain brethren (love your geonick :) ).

Thank you, my backwoods brother!

They are smart enough to change IP's constantly. My bet is that the forum posting in poor English is just a red herring. I am guessing though, just as we all are.

FYI... the account is now "banned member".

Sort of like a giant, extra-fun game of whack-a-mole, eh?!

I'm really sorry for all the extra work you mods are having to do because of this pathetic person. I do believe this is a case of someone actually stalking an entire forum -- and that's just extra sad.

I was really trying hard not to post in this thread, but here goes:

When you get one of those emails, just forward it to the contact address. Don't post about it. You're only giving this person the attention that they crave.

They aren't even posting in the forum, and yet most of the forum posts today have been about them. How sad is that? They feed on attention. Stop giving it to them.

Looks like Ashnikes is back in a new identity.
Don't be so sure that is who it is.

Correct. This is not Ashnikes, it's Trackinthebox. He just waited 4 years to launch his attack because he was being stealthy, and knew we would blame Ashnikes. :)

The Frog's crack investigative team must not think it's Ashnikes, as it is not a banned account, and he still actively finds and hides caches as a banned forum member.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

What do you have to do to get one of these? Haven't I found enough caches, placed enough hides, posted enough on the forum, posted on the feedback site? I can't just sit around waiting all day. I guess I am going to have to get ready to do some caching on my furlough day. LEOs and all.

If you dont wanna feel left out I can see if I didnt delete mine, and send it to you.

I was really trying hard not to post in this thread, but here goes:

When you get one of those emails, just forward it to the contact address. Don't post about it. You're only giving this person the attention that they crave.

They aren't even posting in the forum, and yet most of the forum posts today have been about them. How sad is that? They feed on attention. Stop giving it to them.

Amen, though I know it is hard to resist.

I have wondered why Groundspeak does not verify private property permission as part of the review process.
The exact same way they do for earthcaches. But I probably should have said "require" permission rather than "verify." With earthcaches, of course, cachers are required to verify that they received permission.
You know that they are considering not requiring permission for earthcaches, right?
I personally don't do "urban" caches or even "suburban" and stick to the woods. It's the sad reality that people don't hesitate to call the police every 30 seconds and the general fear of LEO's.

Common sense isn't so common.

The police being called on cachers isn't very common, either. Even for caches that aren't hidden deep in the woods.
Not necessarily my long lost mountain brethren (love your geonick :laughing: ).
Thank you, my backwoods brother!
I read that as 'my backwards brother'. :anibad:

Nobody's told me not to go geocaching yet... but then we have our own "irritants" over our side of the Pond. :laughing:

MrsB

I am on 'our' side of the pond and got a suenpete email and have to deal with the irritants over here. :anibad: They failed as I then nipped out for an FTF after reading the email. :(

Note to future spammers we just say the police over here not law enforcement officers.

You know that they are considering not requiring permission for earthcaches, right?

Really! I hadn't heard yet. Interesting. Honestly, getting permission for my earthcache was WAY harder than getting permission for other caches. It seems as though regular caches it's okay to get 'implied' permission, but with the earth cache I had to provide a name and phone number of the land manager.

Not that I mind too much, but it does seem a little odd that something with no container requires more permission than something with a container.

Really! I hadn't heard yet. Interesting. Honestly, getting permission for my earthcache was WAY harder than getting permission for other caches. It seems as though regular caches it's okay to get 'implied' permission, but with the earth cache I had to provide a name and phone number of the land manager.

Not that I mind too much, but it does seem a little odd that something with no container requires more permission than something with a container.

That's pretty much why they are reconsidering requiring permission for earthcaches.
So Mtn-Man how are you doing on this bright and shiny day?

Boy, 83 degrees right now and 80 percent humidity. Does that mean when I go outside I have to swim to the car? I am going to come out there to LA and hang with you for a while if that is OK. :anibad:

Thats fine its like 88 here with a nice little breeze. No humidity that I know of today. Plus tonight will be a nice 69 to cool off to. Gotta love that nice California weather.

Sounds like FuzzBucket has way too much time on their hands. :anibad:

I didn't get the e-mail. Now I feel unloved... :(

I didn't get it either... :) We're unpopular.

I feel left out as well. :laughing:

I agree. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! I'm a top 10 poster (excluding the mods)!. I'm a Charter Member! Where the heck's my spam!!!!!! :(

Here ya go. Share it amongst yourselves. Plenty to go around.

spam-collection-2005-04.jpg

I didn't get the e-mail. Now I feel unloved... :)

I didn't get it either... :( We're unpopular.

I agree. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! I'm a top 10 poster (excluding the mods)!. I'm a Charter Member! Where the heck's my spam!!!!!! :(

Good to know that we're finally in "select" company! :(

Well I've been here less than a week, have 3 finds and 0 hides to my name and just a handful of posts...

...but I got the email! :anibad:

I assumed it was a troll targeting newbies as i got it just a couple of days after posting asking for some help as a newbie.

sad. really really sad. I'm well versed in internet forums (which may be a tacit admission of nerdiness!) so i'm well acquainted with the antics of trolls, I just hope no newcomers were put off a wonderful hobby by one idiots sad cry for attention

I've got to wonder...does the hickory smoked one (3rd up, right side) taste like....

BACON?

I got it I got it - twice even.

I feel like one of the gang now.

As for the question posed by the troll in question, I imagine that explaining what you were doing to any sort of police would solve the issue. I somehow think that most cops have way more important things to concern themselves with than someone looking for a cache.

try the truth - it's crazy but it just might work

I've got to wonder...does the hickory smoked one (3rd up, right side) taste like....

BACON?

Baconated spam.

i've had 2 times where someone has watched me from a distance and approached me...both times i've explained geocaching, one time the person's child help me hunt for the cache.

Never had cops show up.

Also, I have never looked for a cache that I had to enter private property...even if the cache description claims it is either their property or they have permission. I have looked for caches on peoples fence posts, or where property ends (i.e. next to road/trail)

I would hope that no one gets offended if someone does call authorities if they are looking for a cache on private property...after-all, wouldn't we all prefer our neighbors are watching out for people snooping around on our own property?

lastly...hopefully people who DO place caches on their property have enough sense to let the neighbors know what they've done and let them know not to panic if people are looking around a certain tree/birdhouse/fencepost/whatever.

i've had 2 times where someone has watched me from a distance and approached me...both times i've explained geocaching, one time the person's child help me hunt for the cache.

Never had cops show up.

Also, I have never looked for a cache that I had to enter private property...even if the cache description claims it is either their property or they have permission. I have looked for caches on peoples fence posts, or where property ends (i.e. next to road/trail)

I would hope that no one gets offended if someone does call authorities if they are looking for a cache on private property...after-all, wouldn't we all prefer our neighbors are watching out for people snooping around on our own property?

lastly...hopefully people who DO place caches on their property have enough sense to let the neighbors know what they've done and let them know not to panic if people are looking around a certain tree/birdhouse/fencepost/whatever.

I once had several officers show up while I was searching. Guns drawn even. Seems the person who called it in thought either my GPS or my flashlight was a gun.