There is a member warning n00bs not to geocache

I got an email from this member fuzzbuket

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ed...d3-f9599e16b51e

That states

You should be aware that geocaches are often located on private and public property without proper permission.

Groundspeak has no way of verifying that proper permission has been obtained. Instead they rely on "adequate"permission asserted by the hider of the cache.

There have been a number of instances where geocachers have been detained by law enforcement.

Recently there have been several of instances where property owners have come to the forums to alert geocachers to caches placed on their property without their permission.

Before you continue in this hobby you should question the legalities of this activity.

The whole thing seems very 'fear mongering' and the person who sent it is obviously a troll'ish person because they joined on the 18 and just sent me this message now on the 19th

Is the bolded even true?

That states

You should be aware that geocaches are often located on private and public property without proper permission.

Groundspeak has no way of verifying that proper permission has been obtained. Instead they rely on "adequate"permission asserted by the hider of the cache.

There have been a number of instances where geocachers have been detained by law enforcement.

Recently there have been several of instances where property owners have come to the forums to alert geocachers to caches placed on their property without their permission.

Before you continue in this hobby you should question the legalities of this activity.

The whole thing seems very 'fear mongering' and the person who sent it is obviously a troll'ish person because they joined on the 18 and just sent me this message now on the 19th

Is the bolded even true?

Sometimes the police want to know what you are doing...the time they spend asking you questions is considered "detained". Sometimes a Muggle will call in thet someone is acting unusually, and sometimes they just ask on their own. You are right that this person is overblowing a couple of simple stories, and trying to stir up trouble.

I have been questioned by police/security/concerned citizens a few times. Usually with the police, just saying "I'm GeoCaching" gets them on their way as a lot of them around here evidently know what it is. With others, I explain what I am doing and many seem intrigued. There are cards you can buy in the online store that you can hand to curious people and they explain what geocaching is if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Sometimes the police want to know what you are doing...the time they spend asking you questions is considered "detained". Sometimes a Muggle will call in thet someone is acting unusually, and sometimes they just ask on their own. You are right that this person is overblowing a couple of simple stories, and trying to stir up trouble.

oooooh I see! I thought 'detained' meant jailed and I was thinking 'REALLY? That seems far-fetched'

Having to tell a police officer I'm on a gps led treasure hunt isn't enough to put me off caching lol

oooooh I see! I thought 'detained' meant jailed and I was thinking 'REALLY? That seems far-fetched'

Having to tell a police officer I'm on a gps led treasure hunt isn't enough to put me off caching lol

oH, and...welcome to the game. WooHoo...OK that was a silly joke.

I just received the same email. I'm guessing that someone is trolling the forums because tonight is the first time I've logged on in a couple of weeks. (I hate real life sometimes. It gets in the way B) ) So I'm thinking it's not a coincidence.

I also forwarded the email on to Groundspeak. Of course, not before I replied to fuzzbuket acknowledging his/her helpfulness. :) Hey, it's 2:30 in the morning, I'm at work and cranky enough as it is without getting that self-righteous carp.

Hope to get back out on the trails soon.

Cheers! :grin:

I just received the same email. I'm guessing that someone is trolling the forums because tonight is the first time I've logged on in a couple of weeks. (I hate real life sometimes. It gets in the way B) ) So I'm thinking it's not a coincidence.

I also forwarded the email on to Groundspeak. Of course, not before I replied to fuzzbuket acknowledging his/her helpfulness. :) Hey, it's 2:30 in the morning, I'm at work and cranky enough as it is without getting that self-righteous carp.

I'd stay away from replting to them...that just feeds them, and also gives them your email address.

I'd stay away from replting to them...that just feeds them, and also gives them your email address.

I know. Normally I wouldn't respond but this one annoyed me enough I had to respond just once. fuzzbuket is not including his email with his messages so I had to respond to him through his profile page. I figured if he wasn't going to send his email address, it was only fair that I didn't include mine.

They can try to have my email. It gives no info about me, and the password is a difficult one to crack. So let them try.

I work in law enforcement and in an area with thousands of geocaches. If anyone was ever "detained" for geocaching I have never heard about it and can guarantee no one has been arrested.

If someone is wandering around a light pole or keeps walking back and fourth on the edge of some woods looking for a trail they may get asked what they are doing, thats just part of good police work. People like to plant bombs these days. Just explain what you are doing and you will be on your way. I can almost guarantee that officer will go online and check out the game later on, so you might even have gained another player/

That states

Is the bolded even true?

A troll for sure, or at least someone with an agenda...however, I have to admit that everything in there is basically true. There's certainly one instance of a cacher being detained that I've read about in the forums, and I'd venture that it's probably happened more that one time. Not that this has stopped me from caching :)

I work in law enforcement and in an area with thousands of geocaches. If anyone was ever "detained" for geocaching I have never heard about it and can guarantee no one has been arrested.

If someone is wandering around a light pole or keeps walking back and fourth on the edge of some woods looking for a trail they may get asked what they are doing, thats just part of good police work. People like to plant bombs these days. Just explain what you are doing and you will be on your way. I can almost guarantee that officer will go online and check out the game later on, so you might even have gained another player/

There have been arrests.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=121432

http://forum.atlanticgeocaching.com/index.php?topic=6032.0

You should be aware that geocaches are often located on private and public property without proper permission. Occasionally True.

Groundspeak has no way of verifying that proper permission has been obtained. Instead they rely on "adequate"permission asserted by the hider of the cache. Occasionally True.

There have been a number of instances where geocachers have been detained by law enforcement. Occasionally True.

Recently there have been several of instances where property owners have come to the forums to alert geocachers to caches placed on their property without their permission. Occasionally True.

Before you continue in this hobby you should question the legalities of this activity. Already did.

Sounds like FuzzBucket has way too much time on their hands. :)

I didn't get the e-mail. Now I feel unloved... B)

Edited by Clan Riffster

You should be aware that geocaches are often located on private and public property without proper permission. Occasionally True.

Groundspeak has no way of verifying that proper permission has been obtained. Instead they rely on "adequate"permission asserted by the hider of the cache. Occasionally True.

There have been a number of instances where geocachers have been detained by law enforcement. Occasionally True.

Recently there have been several of instances where property owners have come to the forums to alert geocachers to caches placed on their property without their permission. Occasionally True.

Before you continue in this hobby you should question the legalities of this activity. Already did.

Sounds like FuzzBucket has way too much time on their hands. :)

I didn't get the e-mail. Now I feel unloved... B)

I didn't get one either. As you point out all of the points the email spammer has made are occasionally true. In every instance, however, there are things one can do to mitigate the risk. Knowing the local laws is something that everyone should do, even if they don't geocache. Yes, there have been some incidents of geocachers being detained, and even arrested, but not for geocaching. Trespassing is trespassing.

Funny thing is, this guy thinks he is soooo smart. Most likely using several anonomous forwarding proxies etc. But t his is the kind of think that companies like GS will hire a E Security form to investigate. No mater how smart you think you are, these guys are going to be smarter. It is their job, and they have been doing it for 15 years now. They will find their man, and charges will be laid. Most likely jail time, restraining order, ban from using a computer, that sort of thing.

I had a county policeman come up to me once at a cache wondering what I was doing. I explained geocaching to him. He asked if he could help me find it and pointed to the cache less than a minute later (little magnetic nano). He got a kick out of it.

Like others have stated, I've been asked a couple of times what I was up to by a LEO, never been a problem.

Best experience was when I was on a street corner, looking for a cache hidden on some electrical equipment (one of those masking tape logs on the back side of a magnetic sticker) - anyway, a police car goes through the interesction, then whips a u-turn, drives halfway up the curb, and the officer hops out with a loud "what are you doing?" Scared the cr@p out of me, but I started my geocaching explanation - he bursts out laughing - turns out he's a fellow geocacher and he'd been stymied by this same cache! A super nice guy with a great sense of humor.

Just be truthful and you've got no worries about law enforcement.

Forwarded mine to contact@GC...I'm guessing they will shut that account quickly...Wonder is FuzzBuket is anyone we know?

I guess I'm late to the party, as I just saw my email notification from last night. I was wondering the same thing as you Robert, but at least the email is in proper English, and readable. That rules out a certain persistent twit who has a compulsion to keep trolling this forum.

I'm wondering why so many edited posts? This nits mass email musta stirred up some strong responses. :)

Forwarded mine to contact@GC...I'm guessing they will shut that account quickly...Wonder is FuzzBuket is anyone we know?

I guess I'm late to the party, as I just saw my email notification from last night. I was wondering the same thing as you Robert, but at least the email is in proper English, and readable. That rules out a certain persistent twit who has a compulsion to keep trolling this forum.

Not necessarily my long lost mountain brethren (love your geonick :) ). They are smart enough to change IP's constantly. My bet is that the forum posting in poor English is just a red herring. I am guessing though, just as we all are.

FYI... the account is now "banned member".

There have been arrests.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=121432

http://forum.atlanticgeocaching.com/index.php?topic=6032.0

It's pretty obvious that the PP was referring to his experience. I think that it's pretty useful information for a LEO to tell us whether he is aware of anyone ever being detained (or arrested) as it gives us a more meaningful dipstick than the forums. This is because if someone posts on teh forums that he was detained, it doesn't give us an idea of how often this happens, since no one ever starts a thread to declare that they were not detained.

No email. I always hate it when I am not included. I did get an email from someone in Nigeria who has had a little problem and will make me richer if I help. So at least I can look forward to that.

I have never talked with a law enforcement officer while caching. I have talked with some irate property owners, private security, and the like. I have wondered why someone had to place a cache behind no trespassing signs but drove away and left it for another to have the eventual encounter with the owner (which ended up happening).

I have wondered why Groundspeak does not verify private property permission as part of the review process.

I assume that most private property (parking lots, caches hanging from gas lines, electrical boxes, etc.) don't have permission but I usually act like they do and will sort it out from time to time with others.

So some of the concerns are not without merit. But spam is spam.