Light Weight Cache Idea

ihorn

I am thinking of creating a new cache to place while out for a hike that I can just drop and go. I will want to use something that is a regular size for TB's and Swag. This will be place in the mountains so it will need to be able to handle the weather, and the animals that can be about. So what do you think?????

Edited by ihorn

The one I picked up isnt that bad. It has the gasket on it for weather, and I can check up on it as I see fit due to the close proximity to home. So I can keep on the lookout for trouble. The steel ones though I am afraid might be a bit heavy for a long hike. I will have to check it out.

I looked at a plastic ammo can at Gander Mountain just the other day. It had cheap foam tape stuck to a flat surface and the lid was way too flexible. No way I would want to put that out as a cache. Particularly at the end of a long hike. I would not want to have to truck all the way out there to fix it every time it was reported as Needs Maintenance.

I hid one of the steel ammo cans at the far end of a 4.5 mile round trip creek walk. I have never needed to fix that cache. I have visited a couple of times, but never found it wet.

I am thinking of creating a new cache to place while out for a hike that I can just drop and go. I will want to use something that is a regular size for TB's and Swag. This will be place in the mountains so it will need to be able to handle the weather, and the animals that can be about. So what do you think?????

just a thought that if you are going to p[lace the cache out of the way then use a good reliable cache box! that beening a ammo can. they dont weigh to much i would just tie it to the outside f my bakpack

Ammo cans are the best - even here in Southern California where it doesn't rain much. Plastic containers become brittle after being out a year or two and have to be replaced. I liked the container you used in your cache in Griffith Park but its not really water tight. Since that cache is almost a park and grab you can maintain it, but if you leave a hiking cache you are going to want something you can leave and forget about. Ammo can will stand up to almost anything. Fire is the biggest killer of caches here though. I've seen ammo cans escape if they are hidden in a protected location, but otherwise fire will get them too - or at least everything inside. I've seen where it gets hot enough for the contents to combust but ammo keep its seal and when it cools the the air pressure crushes the can.

Ammo cans are the best - even here in Southern California where it doesn't rain much. Plastic containers become brittle after being out a year or two and have to be replaced. I liked the container you used in your cache in Griffith Park but its not really water tight. Since that cache is almost a park and grab you can maintain it, but if you leave a hiking cache you are going to want something you can leave and forget about. Ammo can will stand up to almost anything. Fire is the biggest killer of caches here though. I've seen ammo cans escape if they are hidden in a protected location, but otherwise fire will get them too - or at least everything inside. I've seen where it gets hot enough for the contents to combust but ammo keep its seal and when it cools the the air pressure crushes the can.

I am working on a way to seal that a little better. I have a couple of ideas just need to figure out the best one, and then do a quick disable maintenance for it, then place it back out. I know for now it will be ok until the rains get closer.