How Geocaching is changing my lifestyle

MindyRN6

WARNING!!!: This will read like an infomercial testimonial--but it's true!

I am a 42 year old single mom with a 10 year old daughter and a full time (plus!) profession. In my previous life I was a strength training instructor on the side. I was always active and had a strict workout regimen. Since I've had my daughter, naturally, the focus shifted to her needs. As she grew older it became more, rather than less, difficult to meet both of our needs and hers take precedent. For the first time in my life I have fallen out of shape. We used to get out of doors all of the time, but as she's become involved in more activities, I'm car-pooling and sitting on the sidelines. When we've been home, I have to confess, I'm spent. I've allowed us to become sucked into screens of every type of media--but mostly online computer games. I've been a hermit with a glass of wine and an LCD monitor. I wanted and tried to change this pattern, but I could not get over my own inertia.

When my daughter was spending a vacation week with her Dad last week, she called me and asked me if I'd ever heard of Geocaching. Apparently, she and Dad were visiting a "hidden gem" swimming hole and happened upon some Geocachers, who explained what they were doing. She then went to Grammy's for a week in PA (no more summer camps available--so this is how we manage childcare in the summer).

While my daughter has been away, I looked up Geocaching, was instantly drawn in, and immediately registered. That was 3 days ago.

I now have been on 5 cachequests (Is this my own term? Is it kosher?). I've logged 3 finds but know exactly where the other two are (muggle problem--gong back). I have not been on Facebook, and in fact, have notified my FB gaming friends that I'm shutting down. I have been out hiking at least an hour each night and I feel muscles that haven't been used for some time. I've been out and interacting with people (that I don't work with). I come home tired and sleep without wine.

Courtney comes home Saturday, and we have great plans.

I'm waiting to see if this post is too long for the forum--sorry!--I feel like I have a new family.

Welcome to the community, Mindy! I'm delighted that you've found something that is so pleasurable on so many levels! And to think that your daughter introduced you to it -- even better because she'll be interested in joining you!

Please keep us posted as you journey out. It never gets old (at least for me) to hear about other people's adventures.

Thanks for sharing!

I think it is great that you have gotten involved in Geocaching. When I was a newbie, I met a teacher who was also a geocacher, I proudly told her I had found almost 40 caches. She responded that she had found over 2,000! Last I heard, she bought a Jeep and has found over 4,000. She is now retired and geocaching like crazy. My wife hated my geocaching activities at first. She is now on her second GPS and is as crazy as I am about finding them. I see it as a nice distraction to everyday life. It's also cool when you get your friends hooked on geocaching too! Have fun.

First thing's first- Welcome to geocaching. I've actually been a member since 2007, but never really did any caching until just the past month or so. We have two teenage boys and are probably the only homeschooling family on the planet whose kids are totally NOT interested in geocaching LOL. So, it's turned into something my husband and I have avidly dived into. We hid our first cache a week or so ago and have a mystery cache series in the works. I've always been really big about fitness, but hit a plateau that geocaching has just completely obliterated! And I just got my very own Garmin Oregon 550 today and have been playing with it all afternoon. Anyway, secondly, I know where you're coming from with the single mom/hermit in front of the computer thing. My husband is also in the military, so I do go through periods of time where it's just me and the boys. It's lonely. It's exhausting. It's all-consuming. I totally get it. That leads me to what I really wanted to say. You mentioned wanting to document all of this and I HIGHLY recommend starting a blog. It is BEYOND therapeutic, lemme tell ya! There is a whole community of folks out there supporting each other with blogging. I haven't gotten around to writing about my new-found passion yet, but am planning an article about our mystery series once we have it better put together. I'm not sure what kind of links are allowed on the message board, but you can check me out at www.pleasantlydemented.com And welcome to the "using multimillion dollar satellite equipment to find tupperware in the woods" addiction!

Mindy, I really enjoyed reading your well-written and descriptive post - Welcome to the world-wide fun of the geocaching game!

I hope you and your daughter will have lots of fun getting out and about. As you obviously enjoy writing, you might be interested in doing a piece for "The Online Geocacher" ezine, I think they'd be pleased to publish your post above as a short article about "How I got into geocaching".

MrsB

Welcome to the forum and the game Mindy. I have enjoyed reading your posts. My wife and I are also fairly new. Geocaching has turned our lives around also. It seems that wherever we go we take the GPS'r and PDA with us. If we happen to be in an area that has a few caches nearby we go on the hunt.

The added exercise has also been a real plus for me. I have dropped some weight and really feel great.

Your post and enthusiasm made me think about a really good book named The Joy of Geocaching - How to Find Health, Happiness and Creative Energy Through a Worldwide Treasure Hunt.

Take care, be safe and have fun...

First thing's first- Welcome to geocaching. I've actually been a member since 2007, but never really did any caching until just the past month or so. We have two teenage boys and are probably the only homeschooling family on the planet whose kids are totally NOT interested in geocaching LOL. So, it's turned into something my husband and I have avidly dived into. We hid our first cache a week or so ago and have a mystery cache series in the works. I've always been really big about fitness, but hit a plateau that geocaching has just completely obliterated! And I just got my very own Garmin Oregon 550 today and have been playing with it all afternoon. Anyway, secondly, I know where you're coming from with the single mom/hermit in front of the computer thing. My husband is also in the military, so I do go through periods of time where it's just me and the boys. It's lonely. It's exhausting. It's all-consuming. I totally get it. That leads me to what I really wanted to say. You mentioned wanting to document all of this and I HIGHLY recommend starting a blog. It is BEYOND therapeutic, lemme tell ya! There is a whole community of folks out there supporting each other with blogging. I haven't gotten around to writing about my new-found passion yet, but am planning an article about our mystery series once we have it better put together. I'm not sure what kind of links are allowed on the message board, but you can check me out at www.pleasantlydemented.com And welcome to the "using multimillion dollar satellite equipment to find tupperware in the woods" addiction!

Thank you so much for your comment. Wouldn't you know, I saw the "Blogs" button after I'd posted! I think I'll take your recommendation and start one! I hope my daughter keeps her enthusiasm. She's somewhat of a trinket hoarder, so hiking miles into the woods is worth it for the prospect of a plastic toy!

I want to thank everyone for their comments and the warm welcome.

I went in to work in the wee hours of the morning to get a head start on all of the loose ends I had to tie up before my vacation (which I'm now officially on--yay!). I had very little sleep and planned to just finish the day with a good book to relax with. Then, I logged in here. Now I just have to go seek a cache!

My daughter and I will be making our annual trek from here in Massachusetts to Ocean City, MD nest week. I can't wait to go caching there. We stay at the Sea Scape the last Mom-and Pop place from another era on the boardwalk that hasn't sold out to developers. Every year we cross our fingers that it'll still be there. My daughter had suggested that we place our first cache there, as it is a place that has meaning and memories for us, but I don't know if I'm ready yet. However, I'd hate to miss the opportunity to make that our first one--I don't forsee waiting until next year. Any suggestions for a boardwalk area cache? I'm thinking it would have to be a micro.

Such an awesome post! I too was stuck behind a computer (as the winters and springs here in NorthEastern Ohio kinda suck) and was looking for another good reason to get out of the house. I picked this hobby up a few weeks ago and I am addicted! I try and go find a few caches each evening and then the weekends are "free-for-alls". The Metro park system in the area host several events and are currently hosting one that we are participating in, and it is taking us to local parks we never even knew existed. Cache On!!

Okay, here's my next Geocaching infomercial testimonial: Geocaching is making me a nicer person! I just logged another find. On may way home I had an errand to run. As I left the store I giggled to myself when I had this thought. I had just realized that I hadn't had road rage or waiting-in-line rage and wasn't irritated by anything--and let me tell you, patience and I are normally strangers! Geocaching side effect? Hmmm.

Edited by MindyRN6

I recommend starting a blog also. I'm sure you'll get a lot of followers. I toyed with the idea myself, but haven't yet.

I actually have lost over 200 pounds since I started geocaching. I had a back injury several years ago that kept me from walking more than a block, and I had gained so much weight that I weighed 500 pounds.

Geocaching is one of the main things that encouraged me to get outdoors and to get moving! I can now hike about 10 miles, which is HUGE to me. :anibad:

Best of luck!

I recommend starting a blog also. I'm sure you'll get a lot of followers. I toyed with the idea myself, but haven't yet.

I actually have lost over 200 pounds since I started geocaching. I had a back injury several years ago that kept me from walking more than a block, and I had gained so much weight that I weighed 500 pounds.

Geocaching is one of the main things that encouraged me to get outdoors and to get moving! I can now hike about 10 miles, which is HUGE to me. :anibad:

Best of luck!

Thank you. As I was trying to say in another forum, I appreciate you more experienced folk coming over here to help us.

Best of luck!

Also meant to say "congrats!" before I posted. It's inspiring to me to hear others. I don't need weight loss as desperately as a lifestyle change. If I did start a blog, I'd copy and paste my posts and replies from here as my first entry--I'm not into recreating the wheel.

I visited your blog. DO NOT doubt your intelligence--it's as obvious as your wit.

geocaching > farmville , no contest :laughing:

Sooooo very true. I'm fairly new to the geocaching community myself, and my Facebook time has dropped substantially. My crops are withering, my restaurant is empty, my garden keeps wilting, my vampire hasn't bitten anyone in weeks, and I think I've been kicked out of the sorority. :anibad:

Oh well.... sorry FB games, but I'd rather be geocaching.

:(

WARNING!!!: This will read like an infomercial testimonial--but it's true!

I'm waiting to see if this post is too long for the forum--sorry!--I feel like I have a new family.

A positive post like this can't be too long! :anibad:

(The ones that get too long are the ones about how "other" cachers are ruining the game) :(

Welcome to the family! Don't worry too much about what is ok in the forums. As long as you keep it happy about the worst that can happen is a moderator will come in and move your post to another forum. :(

I know what you mean about caching decreasing driving stress. Sometimes I welcome getting stopped at a light because it's a chance to look at the Nuvi and see where the nearest cache is! :laughing:

Hope the rush continues for you...

I'm not sure what kind of links are allowed on the message board, but you can check me out at www.pleasantlydemented.com And welcome to the "using multimillion dollar satellite equipment to find tupperware in the woods" addiction!

Can I use that as a FB status!? That's great!

I too am new. I'm disabled and it's nice to have something I can get out and do easily without adding injury to myself (most of the caches I find are in city limits)

I'm not sure what kind of links are allowed on the message board, but you can check me out at www.pleasantlydemented.com And welcome to the "using multimillion dollar satellite equipment to find tupperware in the woods" addiction!

I too am new. I'm disabled and it's nice to have something I can get out and do easily without adding injury to myself (most of the caches I find are in city limits)

Ha, I already did add this as a Facebook status!! But you can, too!

Ha, I already did add this as a Facebook status!! But you can, too!

I can't take credit for it!! Unfortunately, I'm not THAT clever. http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=60548

Had a great day caching yesterday. I logged a few more finds, discovered some really cool places in my town that I never knew about (there's a Gravity Hill--where your car will coast UPHILL from a stop when in neutral), and found my first Travel Bug! Then my daughter came home from a week at Grammy's and came with me on a quest for the first time. Even the dog is benefiting from my new pastime--I'M wiping her out. Now, every time I head toward the door, she jumps up and gives we that eager, excited look. I just know she's thinking "Are we going caching?"

Today's forecast calls for rain, which took the wind out of my sails for a bit, until I concluded, "so what--Going out caching anyway." We don't really have appropriate raingear, but it's more like a light, steady rain versus a downpour. We won't melt.

I love to cache in the the rain! It means that there will not be anyone else on the trail.

BTW, before you hide your first cache, read the geocache hide guidelines first and get a good feeling about all that is required. It will help a lot.

Have fun, I have cached for 7 years and think about it everyday!

Had a great day caching yesterday. I logged a few more finds, discovered some really cool places in my town that I never knew about (there's a Gravity Hill--where your car will coast UPHILL from a stop when in neutral)...

My favorite thing about geocaching, its amazing all the places you discover, sometimes in your own neighborhood, that you never knew about.

I wouldn't, that's starting to become a cliche.

I getcha--but not for me, being so new, and NOT for my Facebook friends, none of whom are Geocachers yet. My FB has been all about FB games--and adding as friends everyone I'd known since I was 2! I think I'll leave it there for a while--to see if it generates any interest from my friends.

Edited by MindyRN6

AAAGGGHHH!!! I just pulled an engorged Deer Tick off of me. I live in Lyme Disease Central, and in fact, my sister suffers from late-stage Lyme disease that was misdiagnosed forever, and now she's severely debilitated. I know that they have to be on you for ~ 24 hours to transmit the disease. I also know that doctors know way too little about it and demand positive blood tests before they'll treat with antibiotics, even though all of the literature so far shows that the blood tests can't be relied upon and antibiotics administered early on are a complete cure. Yet they'll throw an antibiotic at any other virus! I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I hope like hell I don't get sick.

OTHERWISE.....Today brought the first opportunity I had to seriously Geocache with my daughter. We planned to find just one, but she kept wanting to do "just one more". It was misting all day, with a few downpours. We had to take a break to find a store to buy rain ponchos! We were out much of the day in the rain. Its a good feeling to be dry, now! I also discovered that my iphone won't do permenantly to Geocache with--it's not waterproof! I know nothing about hand-held GPS's. Do they make them waterproof? I'm guessing they must.

AAAGGGHHH!!! I just pulled an engorged Deer Tick off of me. I live in Lyme Disease Central, and in fact, my sister suffers from late-stage Lyme disease that was misdiagnosed forever, and now she's severely debilitated. I know that they have to be on you for ~ 24 hours to transmit the disease. I also know that doctors know way too little about it and demand positive blood tests before they'll treat with antibiotics, even though all of the literature so far shows that the blood tests can't be relied upon and antibiotics administered early on are a complete cure. Yet they'll throw an antibiotic at any other virus! I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I hope like hell I don't get sick.

OTHERWISE.....Today brought the first opportunity I had to seriously Geocache with my daughter. We planned to find just one, but she kept wanting to do "just one more". It was misting all day, with a few downpours. We had to take a break to find a store to buy rain ponchos! We were out much of the day in the rain. Its a good feeling to be dry, now! I also discovered that my iphone won't do permenantly to Geocache with--it's not waterproof! I know nothing about hand-held GPS's. Do they make them waterproof? I'm guessing they must.

And yes, we do tick checks daily, humans and dog--that's how I found mine.

Hello Mindy

My name is Lisa....I started Caching in 2008 and 2 years later, I am still into as much as I was when I first started 2 years ago..I am 42, soon to be married and cache alone...My other half is not into it like I am.....I do all my caching pretty much by myself...I know I drive him nuts because EVERYTHING AND EVERYWHERE WE GO....Caching is always involved...Maybe not a caching frenzy but if we go camping I will try to clean the general area up of caches....I HAVE TOO....I get anxious if I don't....I wish he would enjoy it as much as me so I don't feel rushed but that is the way it goes I guess...For example...He just bought a boat...My reaction? OH GOODIE, I can go to the lakes/rivers now and hit those canoe/island caches that can only be done by boat....Nevermind the fishing part of it.....I am excited just so I can get those caches that rated 5 star terrian....I don't see that excitement ending anytime soon...I am just as addicted to it as I was 2 years ago...Glad to see you are enjoying yourself

Flaggal

Lisa

Hello Mindy

My name is Lisa....I started Caching in 2008 and 2 years later, I am still into as much as I was when I first started 2 years ago..I am 42, soon to be married and cache alone...My other half is not into it like I am.....I do all my caching pretty much by myself...I know I drive him nuts because EVERYTHING AND EVERYWHERE WE GO....Caching is always involved...Maybe not a caching frenzy but if we go camping I will try to clean the general area up of caches....I HAVE TOO....I get anxious if I don't....I wish he would enjoy it as much as me so I don't feel rushed but that is the way it goes I guess...For example...He just bought a boat...My reaction? OH GOODIE, I can go to the lakes/rivers now and hit those canoe/island caches that can only be done by boat....Nevermind the fishing part of it.....I am excited just so I can get those caches that rated 5 star terrian....I don't see that excitement ending anytime soon...I am just as addicted to it as I was 2 years ago...Glad to see you are enjoying yourself

Flaggal

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. The way I feel right now, I don't know if I'd be able to get involved with a man that wouldn't Geocache with me! But... I've been alone so long that leaving the toilet paper "under" rather than "over" is also a deal-breaker.

I know nothing about hand-held GPS's. Do they make them waterproof? I'm guessing they must.

They're pretty rugged. I don't know if I'd throw it in a pool, but it can certainly get wet from the rain. The Geocaching store on this site has several, but there are TONS more out there to check out. Some are geared more toward geocaching specifically than others. My husband is in the Army, so he *tried* to show me how to use them, but I'm not good with being taught. I just grabbed his and started pushing buttons until I figured it out. Now he's ticked that I know how to use pocket queries and he can't figure it out. Hahahaha.....I just recently got my own, the Garmin Oregon 550, and I'm LOVING IT. There are much less expensive options, though, that are just as user friendly. My husband uses the Garmin 60CSx which is the one I learned to use first. It's great now that we both have our own because now it's more like a contest. As soon as the car is in park, it's every man for himself! It's funny when I'm able to duck and run under the thorns (I'm only 4'6") and he's stuck behind me bushwacking and cussing....I WIN! Anyway, I got off the subject. Yes, GPSr's are very rugged and definitely built for this sort of activity, and there are MANY that are specifically made for geocaching and are very user friendly. Just shop around and when looking at reviews, remember that everyone is looking for something different from their GPS, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you so much for your comment. Wouldn't you know, I saw the "Blogs" button after I'd posted! I think I'll take your recommendation and start one! I hope my daughter keeps her enthusiasm. She's somewhat of a trinket hoarder, so hiking miles into the woods is worth it for the prospect of a plastic toy!

I started a blog as a way for my family and friends to check out what I have been doing. I try to keep it updated as mush as possible. Its a great way to document you adventures. Here is a link to mine. Kywaterfowler's GeoBlog

I don't know if I'd be able to get involved with a man that wouldn't Geocache with me! But... I've been alone so long that leaving the toilet paper "under" rather than "over" is also a deal-breaker.

Dang... I was about to propose. You seemed perfect. but then you had to go and ruin it by confessing to a totally irrational practice... :D

I don't know if I'd be able to get involved with a man that wouldn't Geocache with me! But... I've been alone so long that leaving the toilet paper "under" rather than "over" is also a deal-breaker.

Dang... I was about to propose. You seemed perfect. but then you had to go and ruin it by confessing to a totally irrational practice... :rolleyes:

Scared another one off!

Holy shrinking waistline! I've dropped 10 lbs. since I started doing this 2 weeks ago. I'm still logging more DNFs than finds, but boy have I gotten some great exercise and seen some beautiful places. I just got a hand held GPS that I wear around my neck on a lanyard--much easier than holding my iphone while climbing to places that I think the cache is, but isn't!

Labor Day weekend, I'll be attending my first Geoocaching event--annual picnic/campout with Western Mass. Geocachers. Yay! I can't wait.

I think you are as welcome as can be. Just remember that there are folks on here who like to be "internet warriors" behind the keyboard, so just enjoy the forum and pay them no mind. This is a wonderful hobby for you and your little girl, have fun and be safe.

LOL--I'm pretty sure I've already encountered those "internet warriors"! They encouraged me to upgrade to a premium membership so I could join them in the "Off Topic" forums and debate things likle whether Catholics are Christians! For now, I think I'll stick to occasional posts here while the weather's good, and save those forums for the dead of winter.

Welcome to the addiction!!!! it has enormously impacted my life, as well. I now have something to do on weekends with the kids (I have four; the two littlest ones are my main caching buddies) and am outside every chance I get. With my monster commute and family demands, I don't get out as much as I'd like... but every chance we can sneak it in... away we go!

Definitely start a blog, and carry a camera/camera phone with you everywhere you go. You will see some amazing, unique, or just plain pretty sights while you are wandering...and you'll want to have pics for sure. A blog/photojournal is a very fun thing to do on many levels! Feel free to check out mine, as well: http://geocachingadventures.wordpress.com/

It IS an obsession, but a good one. :) Enjoy!

I realise the thread is a tad bit old but it rings a bell for me too. Ever since retiring from the military, I've needed something to keep me active to decrease the size of my expanding girth. This has gotten me out walking/hiking more then anything else has. Only problem I have, is a 57 mile each way commute that I just HAVE to stop and check stuff out coming home. This is causing some 'trouble' with my better half. She seems to think I'm off playing while the family is home waiting to eat dinner.

Maybe, I can leave an hour early and do some night time caching instead? :rolleyes:

I realise the thread is a tad bit old but it rings a bell for me too. Ever since retiring from the military, I've needed something to keep me active to decrease the size of my expanding girth. This has gotten me out walking/hiking more then anything else has. Only problem I have, is a 57 mile each way commute that I just HAVE to stop and check stuff out coming home. This is causing some 'trouble' with my better half. She seems to think I'm off playing while the family is home waiting to eat dinner.

Maybe, I can leave an hour early and do some night time caching instead? :rolleyes:

Ah, if only I didn't have rush frantically to the kids' daycare immediately after work... there are a ZILLION caches between my office and home (a span of 40 miles... welcome to the Sucky Commute Club, and thanx for your service!)