Premium Membership Caches

Messe

After visit one of my caches to carry out maintenance,i noticed the amount of damage done to its hide.I quiet often have caches that are not quiet shut properly.Is this due to the increase of Cachers/Cacheretts joining so should expect.. `Wear and Tear`..or is it due to a small minority that do not own caches themselves so do not treat them as there own.I am thinking of making a series of caches PM Only.But this makes me feel tight.I want cachers to have fun...paid or not paid....Being a PM myself,i treat another cachers/Cacheretts hides and containers with respect..i would like to believe that all PM do the same.If this is the case then by making them exclusive i will be helping my caches live on.What is the downside of being Exclusive.Less visitors maybe?..is there anything else that comes to mind..If in favor...say `YAH`....if not say `NAH...i can then see what the general consensus is.....Thanks for your input

Messe? Is that really you or are you an imposter? Please type the following text into a box to prove you are human: 'SlOpE gErAt'.

Seriously though, IMHO, I think you may have just been unlucky. We have a few hides out there and maint trips caused by poor management by the last finder are fairly rare...... in our case anyway.

Im not sure that PM caches are any safer as far as careless handling is concerned. As Thehoomer are only a stonesthrow from you, we say, 'YAY' to you launching a new series - but then we would wouldnt we?

For what it's worth I recently set a series of 25 caches and made caches 2 through to 24 premium members only. That way normal members could only see 1 & 25, I thought this might encourage them to join up.

I have had nobody only do 1 & 25 but I have also not had anybody do the series that weren't already premium members. As for damage/maintenance, I have had to make 3 or 4 visits over the last couple of weeks to put things right (but not to 1 or 25). I have noticed that some containers seem to seal better than others, so in conclusion I think it is pot luck.

Tarmacjohn

We were caching in the Midlands last week and there were loads of PM's there but at home in SWales there seem to be far fewer. I would think that PM would stop the Phone users dead, as there is a required outlay to buy a GPS.

Err.. Why? All you need to see a PM cache is a Premium Membership. Don't believe that owning a GPSr is a requirement. :)

I was thinking - making an assumption that the majority of phone users would not be regular cachers - may be starting out, using a cool new feature of their phone; only having to pay a small amount for their app. As such would not be members. Indeed I don't know what the percentage of cachers become PM's quickly - I/we took about a year when we upgraded to a paperless type of GPS, now, some phones have the paperless capability built in; but that doesn't mean they will immediately join as a PM.

We were caching in the Midlands last week and there were loads of PM's there but at home in SWales there seem to be far fewer. I would think that PM would stop the Phone users dead, as there is a required outlay to buy a GPS.

There's a reason for the reason a lot of caches in the Midlands are PMO.

Read the stickied thingy at the top.

SlOpE gErAt'.Its me...Im back....even went out caching today!.Valuable points raised here...ammo cans dont last forever...the rubber seal degrades

MESSE!

This is nothing to do with your thread BUT your 'Messe`s Stonehenge Geocoin' was the first ever GC that we had seen in our lives in our very second cache found!!

We read up on what to do and dutifully placed it in another cache (although it was not very far away) and we have now been caching for 6 months and are quite happily addicted and have a GC of our own now (although it is missing at the moment :anibad: )

Thank you for being part of the reason we are now mad cachers!

SCMP

My personal feeling is cachers who don't need PQs - what most people have PM for - shouldn't be excluded from logging any cache they're physically and mentally capable of finding. I don't think the 'quality' of PM cachers or caches is any higher than the 'general population'. So I don't set PMOs myself and would have to have a very good reason to start. But that's just me- follow your heart Messe!

ive found if its pm or open to all its going to be treated the same, thus why i dont bother with pm caches no more, even through i thought they would be treated with better respect i.e. swaps swapped for equal or more value and not just taken. but on another point my partner and daughter both have their own accounts but only i have premium, this then means if we go out and do some premium caches they cannot log them (be nice if Groundspeak could link family accounts).