Cache with a USB drive?

knowltonGeo

I can't think of a way to do this that makes sense...but I'll ask the question anyway.

Has anyone ever made use of a USB drive (thumb drive) as part of a cache, or used as a "log" ???

Do the caching rules and guidelines prohibit or discourage this?

I was thinking it could be a travelling type thing...people take it from the cache...go home...put their names on it...perhaps some pictures of them holding the thumb drive or some such....and when I get it back....instant "photo montage" of the journey my little thumb drive has taken...kind of like a "Flat Stanley" type thing (if you don't know about "Flat Stanley" see this link:)

http://www.flatstanley.com/about.php?nav=about

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by knowltonGeo

I had thought of this as well, but then quickly dismissed it as you never know if and when you would get the USB drive back and there is NO telling what people would put on it. It sounds fun in theory, but I wouldn't advise it. I would like to think that generally Geocachers are a great group of people, but you never know what might happen if some sort of weirdo got a hold of it and put something questionable on it.

It would stay on my ignore list for a long, long time if I had to go to the cache, return home with it to sign the log and then drive all the way back to it to put it back. Either that or I might have it in my possession for a few weeks till I was headed back that way.

But then I live out where there's more forest,rocks and lakes than there are roads and buildings.

An average days caching is 90 to 125 miles to get 12 to 15 caches. An expedition starts at daybreak and goes til after dark to net 18 to 20 caches.

It might work if it were in a major city and most of the local cachers are within a small radius. But then what about those travelling through the area.

And how would more than one cacher find it in a day...dunno, maybe you might want to rethink the whole thing from a finding perspective rather than a hiding one.

I appreciate the feedback.

I was just thinking about micro caches...and a usb drive seems "made for" something like that.

Fun and clever on the surface....horrible in actual practice, even as a travel bug. Muggles could make this a very negative experience if I tried it.

I like the idea and concept of travel coin, etc. I am going to look into doing that instead.

As a cache I agree, not the best idea. As a TB I think it's a fun idea. I have been thinking about doing this myself, since USB drives are very cheap these days. Check out this USB Drive TB. It's been out there for about 3 years, and from the logs it seems to be doing fine.

I'm still not gonna stick that in my computer. Would anything happen if I did? Probably not. But if I don't plug it in nothing can happen.