How much accuracy should I expect w/ my GPS?

KateLavin

I am new to Geocaching (and loving it so far). My question is how accurate can I expect my Garmin Geko 201 to be? So far I have only brought it to one cache and it sent me all over the place! I let it sit at first for a while until the number of feet to the cache seemed to settle, went in the location directed and let it settle again, it then said the cache was in 60' in another direction, went there, let it settle, 80' in another direction all together!

How accurate should I expect my GPS to be? Does anyone have a GPS that gets the right to the cache most every time or are they just supposed to get you in the general area?

Went once with a co-worker who used an app on her droid and it was spot on. Do phones tend to be more reliable where they are getting their signals from towers rather than satellites?

Any information/opinions would be greatly appreciated as I would like to know before going out and spending $ on a new GPS/phone if my old one is working as well as can be expected.

Thanks, KateLavin

read more about my geocaching adventures at http://KLGeocache.blogspot.com

Hi Kate,

I have a Garmin 60CSx. I usually get to within 10 feet of the cache. That's not to say that I haven't been to a few and found the cache 20 -30 feet away, but that has been rare.

I really can't answer about the new phones, but somehow I have got to believe that a good handheld GPS'r is better than a phone.

I have two units;

Colorado 300 has the same issues as yours. On a day when it is bad, I simply give up at a certain point and assume it is atmospheric issues or due to tree cover. I've seen a lot worse than your unit with the Colorado.

Nuvi 660 still has some inaccuracy but nowhere near as bad.

Essentially the unit does two things. It receives the very weak signals from the satellites, then it figures out the point in space where it is located based on calculations using triangulation between the different satellites. These calculations take time and if the signal is distorted it takes longer and will jump around. (This is my story and I'm stickin to it. :( )

It's unusual to have the GPS "swinging" that much, but it can happen. Atmospheric conditions or other conditions such as a lot of tree cover can degrade the signal to cause accuracy issues.

I know that a lot of people use a pointer to point the the cache and just follow that. I always use the map view, not a pointer. In that view, I can see my track. That helps me see where the GPS seems to be telling me the cache is, even if it's all over the place.

Sometimes I'll walk in a large circle and observe the track. Sometimes I'll just walk back and forth to see what the track does. Both can help you figure out where the cache is relative to where you are. After you've been doing this for a while, you'll get a better sense of how to interpret what the GPS is trying to tell you.

A phone is not better than a handheld. I have an iPhone 4 and when I get near GZ I get the same swinging as you're describing, especially if there is any kind of canopy. It's hard enough trying to find something the size of an ammo box this way, and pretty much impossible for a microcache. After doing a fair amount of research I bought a Delorme PN-40 which should (I hope) prove to be a lot easier to deal with. Should have it today in fact, so maybe I can catch a few hours of daylight after work to give it a shot. :(

I took a gander at the reviews for the Gecko 201. That's a pretty old and basic unit (circa 2003), and while most of the reviews are pretty positive, many say it tends to lose satellite lock under canopy which could be causing some of your issues. It might be worth your time to research something a little more modern and geocaching friendly.

Edited by firesign3000

After doing a fair amount of research I bought a Delorme PN-40 which should (I hope) prove to be a lot easier to deal with. Should have it today in fact, so maybe I can catch a few hours of daylight after work to give it a shot. :anibad:

It's an interesting unit from what I hear. I would like to know what you think of it after you try it. Some of the reviews sound a bit rosy.

Having said that it's good that the GPS units are not too darn accurate, otherwise there would be no challenge at all

I'll argue that one to death. My Droid does a much better job then my Garmin 60csx. It never jumps around and is always +/- 6'. As a matter of fact I stopped using the garmin and stuck to just the Droid.

just because your phone is (subjectively) doing a better job than your handheld, doesn't mean that they all do (or even most).

My 2004 Geko 201 is just as accurate as my 2009 Oregon 550, the Fortuna Clip-On bluetooth receiver I used for a few years between the two, and the Magellan Meridian Marine I still own but haven't been able to use since Y2K.

But the length of time I have to wait for the signal to settle, and the ease with which I get a decent signal and position under tree cover, have altered quite a lot :anibad: