Very warm outside...

All his cache finds are in CA, so we'll assume metric system is in order here. That model is rated for use to 70°C . (That's 158F for us Americans.) We don't know the weather where he was hunting, but it seems unlikely that the ambient outdoor temp in CA exceeded that.

It's probably unlikely to exceed that in Canada if the unit was left on, inside the car, in "direct" sunlight unless you were parked near an actively erupting volcano or something.

Please don't guess the cause of a problem. If you observe something you want help understanding, just ask it.

All GPS do have an internal temperature sensor that is used for calibrating GPS. So variation in temperature should normally not influence on GPS accuracy. Extreme high or low temperature outside GPS specification can give wrong results.

On many GPS you can see the internal temperature on the diagnostic page.

My GPSr meets the MIL-STD 810G certification for temperature and should work OK in 60 °C. If we gets like 30 °C in Sweden it´s quite extreme. I guess my GPSr is a little over engineered, but only then it comes to high temperatures.

But even a professional unit with MIL-STD certification gets a little "flakey" some times. I can´t even guess why and I don´t care about it. It´s incredible that the GPS system works at all IMHO.

Well, quite often increased heat also brings increased humidity...
Depends entirely upon where you live as to whether that holds or not. Here in Colorado, they seem to be independent variables. More heat here can bring exceptionally low humidity at times. It's true, though, that the condition of the tree canopy above can make quite a difference, especially after a fresh rain.