Is there a problem with the forums?

baloo&bd

Honest question though. If people post questions/issues here that would have been better addressed in the feedback forum, can a Mod move it or should that person be directed to open a thread there?

There is no functionality to move a post from here to there. It should be manually re-submitted by the author.

If you are logged into geocaching.com and then click the Feedback tab, your login credentials transfer over.

Okay. Thank you.

Not really an issue for feedback since I am not trying to get something changed and the bug appears, although things got hijacked somewhat, to only my ID.

Is anyone else having issues?

Nevermind, duh. Teach me to multi task. Although moving those makes little to no sense.

Okay. Thank you.

Not really an issue for feedback since I am not trying to get something changed and the bug appears, although things got hijacked somewhat, to only my ID.

Nevermind, duh. Teach me to multi task. Although moving those makes little to no sense.

It makes sense to Groundspeak, who find that the Get Satisfaction site provides them with some tools to track ideas and problems better than when they get reported here. But IMO, the Get Satisfaction site makes it harder to debate and discuss some issues. I hope the when people start threads here to foster a discussion they don't get locked by moderators saying that the idea should be posted on the Get Satisfaction site.

Okay. Thank you.

It makes sense to Groundspeak, who find that the Get Satisfaction site provides them with some tools to track ideas and problems better than when they get reported here. But IMO, the Get Satisfaction site makes it harder to debate and discuss some issues. I hope the when people start threads here to foster a discussion they don't get locked by moderators saying that the idea should be posted on the Get Satisfaction site.

I got a buck says they do.

Do you think we can get Iowa moved from the Great Plains to the Midwest forum?

This has always confused me--Midwest. Where exactly is the "midwest"? That would imply a "westwest" and an "eastwest", wouldn't it? If the "midwest" comes before (east of) the "great plains", shouldn't it be the "mideast"? Or, it should be between the "northwest" and "southwest", but Iowa is nowhere near those areas.

And why is the "mideast" all the way on the other side of the world?

I'm just saying :(

I recently submitted an idea another person on the forums had for a TB Tire Cover for peoples Jeeps and the like. I got a return reply saying that they appreciated the thought, and that they would look into it.( I just wish that I could remember whose idea it was so that if it does get doen then they could get the rightful credit. I did say someone else had the thought in the email though.)

Edited by mtn-man

Use the forums to share stories, ask questions, get tips, debate ideas, etc. Know that the odds are now far lower that a Lackey will ever see any of your ideas or suggestions. Think of the forums as an incubator. When a good idea emerges from a thread, its "owner" should go over to the Get Satisfaction site and post it there - perhaps with a link back to the discussion that hatched the idea.

I envision my role as a moderator would be to point out that the Get Satisfaction site is the proper place for making suggestions for site features and to report bugs. I would not want someone to post a great suggestion or new bug here and then be frustrated that it wasn't receiving attention from Groundspeak.

Okay. Thank you.

I sure hope you're wrong about that, but I'm putting my money with GOFS Sock Puppet. I'm going to miss that forum. Especially the Goofy Yellow Sponge posts.

I envision my role as a moderator would be to point out that the Get Satisfaction site is the proper place for making suggestions for site features and to report bugs. I would not want someone to post a great suggestion or new bug here and then be frustrated that it wasn't receiving attention from Groundspeak.

That is why I have been pointing people over there. But the Site forum was still a great place for the initial discussion. Now that is gone, and where is that part of the discussion now going to take place? Here?

Okay. Thank you.

I sure hope you're wrong about that, but I'm putting my money with GOFS Sock Puppet. I'm going to miss that forum. Especially the Goofy Yellow Sponge posts.

Yeah I'm wondering how the next update is going to play out. Seems that each update something important gets broken, gets reported, Nate gives an oops standby, and a short time later a All Fixed. I'm sure a number of folks held back on posting. I know I did on the broken moving trackables from inventory to collection bug. Seems that there will now be a huge number of feedback posts on the same issue. I really don't feel like digging through hundreds of feedbacks to see if the issue I'm having has been posted, I'll just post. Seems like a lot of problems were surfaced and quickly dealt with, I just don't see that happening with the feedback site. We won't mention the PQ generator getting broken on a Friday night. That is just going to be lovely on the Feedback site, at least it will save Jeremy the pain of saying sorry.

Besides, where are people now going to post questions like, "I need to log in every time I jump to a new page... what should I do?" sort of questions?

The Get Satisfaction site has a way to ask questions and other users can post their answers. In fact, I suspect one thing that Grounspeak likes is that users have to decide if they are reporting a problem, suggesting an idea, asking a question, or giving praise. Clearly some people pick the wrong one for their post, but if you do pick the right one it is much easier for Groundspeak to respond.

Weird my last reply was deleted? Are the mods against me now?

It wasn't deleted.

It was hidden to hide the spammer account.

Wpuldnt it been easier to just edit out that part, and leave my post? To hide the whole post implies I have done something wrong, and I take offense to that. I should not be punished because of someone else. I think what I said was very positive.

The sock puppet was trying to take the thread off topic. By responding you contributed to that. By protesting the moderator team's actions you perpetuate the sock's goals. We move quickly when these socks are hung out to dry, and sometimes a few replies are swept away as collateral damage.

Please steer back to the discussion of the changes in the Forums today. Thanks!

with the new structure of the forums i see the "Geocaching Topics" becoming a catch-all bucket, people will come in the forums and for lack of a better place they will throw everything in the "Geocaching Topics"

traditionally forums are for getting help and advise on various issues

what makes it even worse is that the 3 sections have been buried at the bottom of the page where nobody looks

for those that return the first thing they notice is the disappearance of the sections, there is no way anyone can guess that they are all the way at the bottom of the page

would have made more sense to leave them where they were with an addition to the title that they are archived and available for viewing only and any related issues to be taken to the feedback section, or have a redirect to the feedback site

also other problem i see is that "FEEDBACK" does not imply getting help, its more related to improving performance

my understanding was that Feedback site was for website related problems/questions etc....not personal geocaching issues

perhaps that tab should be renamed something more intuitive like "get help with geocaching issues" or whatever

i guess this was more a move in an attempt to lighten the load on the forums and put off to update them

Edited by t4e

The sock puppet was trying to take the thread off topic. By responding you contributed to that. By protesting the moderator team's actions you perpetuate the sock's goals. We move quickly when these socks are hung out to dry, and sometimes a few replies are swept away as collateral damage.

Ihorn was informing you that it was insulting to have their post deleted. Why just dismiss it and state as if fact that it will "perpetuate the sock's goals", rather than take their possible solution to such matters under consideration?

Besides, this seems quite simple. Why has the player account not been banned? Do that, and I'll bet the "I'll never troll the forums again" email will show up at contact@geocaching.com in about 5 minutes flat. Not like there hasn't been a forum ban extended to the whole website before.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Ihorn was informing you that it was insulting to have their post deleted. Why just dismiss it and state as if fact that it will "perpetuate the sock's goals", rather than take their possible solution to such matters under consideration?

Besides, this seems quite simple. Why has the player account not been banned? Do that, and I'll bet the "I'll never troll the forums again" email will show up at contact@geocaching.com in about 5 minutes flat. Not like there hasn't been a forum ban extended to the whole website before.

What you are not seeing is that multiple accounts doing this. The person doing it isn't a geocacher. It is a cry for attention. These accounts are being banned. Most people are not discussing it because they understand that this person is doing it strictly to get attention. You are giving them that attention. We have a good community in geocaching, but they do not wish to be a part of it at all. They are playing their own game, one with themselves. We are simply spectators and have to deal with it. It is like someone streaking at a football game. They get quickly tackled and removed from the field of play. The football game goes on. This is something we will just have to deal with for a short while. Eventually they will move on and we will still be here geocaching. That is why we repeatedly ask people to ignore them. "Don't feed the troll" means don't give them the attention they seek. Don't reply to their posts. They are going to be removed anyway, so don't reply. You only keep feeding this poor disturbed person's desire for attention.

What you are not seeing is that multiple accounts doing this. The person doing it isn't a geocacher. It is a cry for attention. These accounts are being banned. Most people are not discussing it because they understand that this person is doing it strictly to get attention. You are giving them that attention. We have a good community in geocaching, but they do not wish to be a part of it at all. They are playing their own game, one with themselves. We are simply spectators and have to deal with it. It is like someone streaking at a football game. They get quickly tackled and removed from the field of play. The football game goes on. This is something we will just have to deal with for a short while. Eventually they will move on and we will still be here geocaching. That is why we repeatedly ask people to ignore them. "Don't feed the troll" means don't give them the attention they seek. Don't reply to their posts. They are going to be removed anyway, so don't reply. You only keep feeding this poor disturbed person's desire for attention.

Like I said, ban the player account.

Trying to get this back on topic.

Perhaps one of the reason that Groundspeak has moved to the Get Satisfaction site is that is somewhat more difficult to get off topic on side discussions and end up feeding trolls. It's not that that site eliminates trolls. There appear to be plenty of ideas suggested and question asked that aren't serious or that are meant to provoke. However, most people won't respond to these. Since there is no dislike button or ability to do more than post a simple short response, it is easy to ignore these posts. They fall off the radar much quicker that a similar post here. A trollish response to a serious post can only be responded to with a simple comment. There is no "Not the best response" button. So people again find it easier to ignore a troll. In the forums, when a troll posts, some people will feel compeled to respond. Perhaps they don't know the person is a troll and think the bad idea or odd comment needs to be responded to.

The bolded section is what I have issue with. If I perpetuate his intentions through my protest than that should not matter. I spoke how I believed, and showed good that came from the forums. To simply edit out the portion from the sock puppet, and leave mine would have taken what 10 more seconds? You can do what you want with this post as it does fit with the forum topic which is and I quote "Is there a PROBLEM with the forums?"

Like I said, ban the player account.

Again, that has been done. The person is creating multiple new accounts daily.

Then dont do a player account ban, do an IP ban. That way if they do multiple account they all should have the same IP theoretically, and thus allow you to ban all at once.

Please resume your normally scheduled discussion now.

They are using multiple IPs as well. As I have said -- and you are just going to have to accept it -- it is something the the community is going to have to deal with until this disturbed individual moves on.

EDITED... I've edited and restored the post you are so upset about. It doesn't make much sense now but will have to live with that.

Edited by mtn-man

They are using multiple IPs as well. As I have said -- and you are just going to have to accept it -- it is something the the community is going to have to deal with until this disturbed individual moves on.

EDITED... I've edited and restored the post you are so upset about. It doesn't make much sense now but will have to live with that.

I know that all of you mods are doing this for free, and its not a job that gets much respect from those of us on the forums. I do appreciate what you do. If you give the IP address to people there aare those of us who know how to deal with it. Just saying.

You're on.

Somebody owes a dollar! :)

Nope, sorry. Moderators are underpaid and overworked.

(oh no he di-un't! B) )

'side. I anin't driving all the way to Eye-oh-waa to collect a buck. But if I ever get out that way I'll make you by me a beer. Then I'll have to return the favor. Then your one-upsmanship will kick in and I can't let that stand and...well I'll have to bring the wife so we don't have to drive.

I know that all of you mods are doing this for free, and its not a job that gets much respect from those of us on the forums. I do appreciate what you do. If you give the IP address to people there aare those of us who know how to deal with it. Just saying.

What part of multiple IP addresses do you not understand? :)

I fully understand multiple. There are some of us here who know how to track an IP, and what to do about them. Its not hard to track multiple IP's ya know.

You're on.

(oh no he di-un't! B) )

'side. I anin't driving all the way to Eye-oh-waa to collect a buck. But if I ever get out that way I'll make you by me a beer. Then I'll have to return the favor. Then your one-upsmanship will kick in and I can't let that stand and...well I'll have to bring the wife so we don't have to drive.

I'm telling ya that guy can't be considered a Mod. So I'll take my dollar (and my beer).

You're on.

(oh no he di-un't! B) )

I'm telling ya that guy can't be considered a Mod. So I'll take my dollar (and my beer).

Group: Site Wide Moderators

Just say'n.

I fully understand multiple. There are some of us here who know how to track an IP, and what to do about them. Its not hard to track multiple IP's ya know.

It's pretty hard to track them from proxy servers though. And the professional internet troll's who purposely use them.

Since you won't believe me...

http://kalsey.com/2004/02/why_ip_banning_is_useless/

http://letupdate.com/ban-ip-address/

If they have posted 200 times, that's 200 banned IP addresses. I guess you have to hope one of them isn't yours, huh. If it was, you would be kicking and screaming asking why GC would just ban an IP address like that.

If they have posted 200 times, that's 200 banned IP addresses. I guess you have to hope one of them isn't yours, huh. If it was, you would be kicking and screaming asking why GC would just ban an IP address like that.

I will let this go. I dont want to derail this thread anymore. I just know what we would do on the boards I was a Global Mod for.

I will let this go. I dont want to derail this thread anymore. I just know what we would do on the boards I was a Global Mod for.

No... if you have information to add I would be pleased to read it.