Deterrent from logging a story

Guest Ttepee

I just had my first experience with grabbing and logging a TB. Of course I didn't read the FAQ sheets.. I know it all.. I rehid the TB and never bothered to write down the tag# before hiding it. Then of course without the bugs# I can't log a note to tell about the time I actually had the TB. Is there anyway to make logging a note with the hide post a little more idiot-proof? It seems to me that this could be putting a damper on people sharing their travel experiences with the Bugs.

Guest klgraves

Try logging in. Then post the find to the cache you visited. At the bottom of the page before you enter the log into the system, you should be able to deposit the travel bug without using the #.

Yes I did that but it enters the rehidden log on the bug page without offering you to add your travel bug experiences... you need to log another find/note and in order to do that you need the bug# I ended up adding the story in photo notes because I was able to upload photos to the rehidden log. Am I making any sense? You can see here how I dealt with it http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1036

I just feel that this doesn't promote people to share any details afterwards if they haven't saved that number.

I've done that too and now have the # ... I'm just trying to point out that it's not really idiot proof, leave it to me to figure that out. I'm set with my own situation .. I'm just wondering how many other people that turns away from entering their notes.

Guest Prime Suspect

I agree completely. I recently dropped off the first bug I've found. Since I was able to add a note to the bug page when I picked it up, I was surprised that I was not able to the the same when I placed it. Yes, I could go back and add a log, but that's only because I still have access to the tracking number. But it seems to me that the place for the note is in the placement notification, not as a separate log.

Prime Suspect,

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The fun part of the travel bugs is to see them stirring peoples imaginations. Most everyone writes a little note when they pick up the bug but then after they've had it for awhile and had some time to put their imaginations to work they are they not afforded the opportunity easily to share that... alot won't bother trying to figure a way around it and will just drop it off and leave it at that.

Guest badbitbucket

Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but the reason the TBs' numbers are not readily available is to prevent pranksters from logging a false find and/or placement.

If you're going to participate in the TB's then you need to either remember to write down the bug number, or you'll have to tap the TB owner on the shoulder and ask for it.

-BBB

I may just make it so you can add a comment log if you have an account on the site, but it won't let you "grab" the item.

That *should* cover all the bases.

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

Since the webpage for logging a find is already different if you have a travel bug in your possession (there's a drop down indicating what bugs are in your inventory to indicate which one you'll be dropping off), wouldn't it be possible to add a text field on that particular page that would convert that text to the note on the travel bug?

So my proposed scenario is that I go to the Travel Bug's page to make a comment when I pick it up, which puts it in my possession. When I go to log the cache I'm placing the travel bug in, there's a drop down field to indicate which travel bug I'm dropping off, and an additional comment field on the cache page that will be converted to comments on the TB page.

I'm not sure if I explained it clearly, but would that be too complex for implementation? It seems that it would make the most sense from the TB's transporter.

Markwell,

I follow you, and like the idea. It cuts out a step. From a single screen, you would be able to make two different logs at once: You would enter your "Found it!" comments for the cache, plus the comments for the TB you left at that cache. All at the same time on the same screen.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

So my proposed scenario is that I go to the Travel Bug's page to make a comment when I pick it up, which puts it in my possession. When I go to log the cache I'm placing the travel bug in, there's a drop down field to indicate which travel bug I'm dropping off, and an additional comment field on the cache page that will be converted to comments on the TB page.

I think this pretty well hits the nail on the head.