Travel Bugs: hitchhikers and other attached items?

Hunyocks3

Hi all -

The family just got into geocaching, so I bought a set of travel bugs for us to release... any suggestions for fun, creative ideas for things to attach to travel bugs? And where would you find / buy / make them?

What about things to NOT attach to travel bugs?

Thanks in advance -

Hunyocks3

Hi all -

The family just got into geocaching, so I bought a set of travel bugs for us to release... any suggestions for fun, creative ideas for things to attach to travel bugs? And where would you find / buy / make them?

What about things to NOT attach to travel bugs?

Thanks in advance -

Hunyocks3

Check out the Trackables section (specifically the Pinned topics in the Travel Bug section) down farther on the page.

Attach to something that makes you smile - but nothing you want back.

Explain a little why you used what you did either on the bug or in the write up, that makes it more fun for the finder.

Don't be discouraged if it seems to fall off the planet, that happens, we lost one in the back of our car once, took 4 months to come across it again. One I have was stuck someplace in January and made a move last week.

Have fun with it, good luck!

Size matters.

Smaller attachments mean they will fit in more geocaches. I carried around a couple of large travelbugs and vented how hard they were to get rid of. Sorry to the owners, but the first really big cache that I happened across became their new home. One is still parked there. :D

Durable matters.

Small key-chain items are good, as long as they don't break easily. I had a motorcycle on a TB which had likely been stepped on or dropped, but was broken and slightly mangled. I patched it the best I could, but short of turning new components on a model lathe, it wasn't going to look the same as original again.

Ordinary survives.

As niraD suggests, things which look "cool" may find themselves in a pocket or on a dresser or mantel, rather than traveling the cacheways.

i am about to release a TB aswell, i had the idea to send a Grateful Dead teddy bear to GC1RVDD

but to my sad news it seems that cache is about to be archived if the owner doesnt take care of a electrical problem

and if i send a tie-dyed teddy bear on a path it is sure to be snatched up quick, so i want to cry as my grateful dreams DIE!!!

I've decided to release my TB with an angel keychain and a keychain charm with a photo of my daughter. I've also decided to include a tag that states

This is a Travel Bug. Please do not take it and keep it. It’s meant to be moved cache to cache and location to location. It was launched in memory of my daughter Calypso who died in 2007 at 23 days old. This TBs goal is to visit as many seaside locations all over the world as possible by June 14, 2012 which is the date of Calypso’s 5th birthday. Please help us by logging this find on Geocaching site and then moving her to the next location.

If you know nothing about geocaching and find this little treasure and tag please please get on www.geocaching.com and ask for help to get this little one continuing on her journey.

No idea if it will stay alive for more then a week but I'm giving it my all !! <3

I just ran across this... I would put this on the DO NOT attach to travel bug list.

<not so family friendly link removed by moderator>

Moderator Note: The link was for some plastic anatomical body parts that someone is selling ebay as geocaching travelers. But you have to supply the tracking number with a Sharpie pen. Bogus, and not Groundspeak approved.

Edited by Eartha