NEW coin design by Saffier: Take a Bite

ECplus3

I have been working with the Dutch cacher Saffier to produce a new geocoin based on his design. As this is my first time working with someone else on a design, it has taken many months (and two mints) to work things out to our mutual satisfaction. We both feel that the end is in sight and we can announce this new coin.

The idea for this coin comes from a Dutch television program called het Klokhuis ("The Core"). The show presents science stories to children and gets to 'the core' of how things work. Saffier's stylized apple core draws inspiration from the show's logo. The yellow enamel and recessed metal lion represent Saffier's home province of Zuid Holland.

The coin will be called Take A Bite.

Specifics:

50mm x 40mm x 3mm

shaped with cutout

translucent enamel

Finishes:

TBD but most likely -

RE shiny silver

LE black nickel or LE gold/silver 2-tone

XLE shiny gold

AE chrome

Price will be $10.50 Cdn or approx €8.25.

saffier01.jpg

saffier02.jpg

saffier03.jpg

saffier04.jpg

saffier05.jpg

Why the cutout?

That is part of the design that Saffier originally came to me with. He wanted a clean surface on the front (except for the recessed text) but still convey the 3d shape of his stylized apple core. The cutout is like a highlight -- if apple cores were shiny metal objects that reflected light. :( Which, I guess this one is! :)

And we both think it is cool.

Is that to be yellow or ORANGE? :) To me it looks more yellow but those are just factory pics right?

That is yellow, but not a yellow we are happy with. It is the closest translucent yellow to the flag of Zuid Holland, but it is very 'muddy'. The lion only shows up well in natural light. We are having new samples made with another yellow that should be much clearer. And some other colours as well. Orange might be one of them. :(

Thanks for the feedback on the new samples!

The presale period for this coin will start on Monday September 13th at 11:00 AM EST and will last for 10 days.

The finishes available will be:

Shiny silver w/ yellow enamel

(unlimited)

Black nickel w/ yellow enamel

(40)

Two-tone Shiny gold/silver w/ yellow enamel

(40)

Gold w/ yellow enamel

(25, limit 1 per customer)

Black nickel w/ red enamel

(25, limit 1 per customer)

The coins will be available on my website: http://phdcoins.ca

E&Cplus3

Could you tell me the numbers for the yellow that you don't like and the yellow that you do like? I am making a coin with translucent yellow and I am currently going with #16. I hope it is the right choice.

Gregson

Yes, #16 is the way to go. #15 and #24 are too opaque.

E&Cplus3

Could you tell me the numbers for the yellow that you don't like and the yellow that you do like? I am making a coin with translucent yellow and I am currently going with #16. I hope it is the right choice.

Gregson

Yes, #16 is the way to go. #15 and #24 are too opaque.

Great! #16 is what I am already using. The mint had suggested another yellow, but based on their chart, 16 looked more luminous.

My coins are in and I like the simple design. But I also want to activate them. Since there's no inlay with information, could anyone tell me?

The activation codes are now available from my website (phdcoins.ca) but are also available on geocaching.com. There should have been a little insert in the coin flip saying where to find the activation codes. Sorry if I neglected to put one in yours.