TBs need a way to be searched!

Moosiegirl

I'm going to jump on my soapbox again and say that TBs need either a sort routine (by name) or a search routine, so they can be easily found wherever they are. There are just too many and I don't want to put watches on all the ones I'm interested in, you know what I mean? My watch page is getting too long as it is, and I've only been gc'ing since March! icon_biggrin.gif

Candy

I agree I would like to be able to search for a travel bug by name. Curenty the only way to find a bug is to know the traking number, the rather criptic refrence number or scroll through all 1300 + pictures in the gallery 25 at a time and what if it miss it then you got to do it agin.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous

Nothing is worse than a bug listing for a cache you are watching. The bug comes and goes before you can even see what the bug was. With no way to find it. If someone brings and takes the bug without leaving it in the cache you never get to see it's page.

A bug search engine is one of the complaints brought up at both of the geocachers meetings we have had in the last two months.

beatnik

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

Nothing is worse than a bug listing for a cache you are watching. The bug comes and goes before you can even see what the bug was. With no way to find it. If someone brings and takes the bug without leaving it in the cache you never get to see it's page.

It's for that exact reason that I always mention the tracking (TB) number of all bugs that I log...so they can be searched for by any subsequent visitors to the cache.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Run this search. Then, just change the words 'Tucker the Bed Bug' in the search terms for the name of the bug you're looking for. If the name of the bug has more than one word, be sure to enclose the whole name in quotes. Also, be sure to leave the other search terms intact!

This will only show travel bugs that were added before the last time google re-indexed geocaching.com, so newish bugs won't appear, but at least it's something to tide you over until the wonderful programmers at geocaching.com find time to add an internal bug search engine.

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

The new features are great! Just one note though, the milage on the search results doesn't seem to work right. I just did a search for 'Geospike' and it returned Geospike#1 showing 0 miles. Clicking on it's page shows it travelled 300 miles.

Thanks for all your hard work, it's not unappreciated,icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Gloom on May 18, 2002 at 07:48 PM.]

It says the mileage is off. The new setup created a new field. Looking at a particular bug updates its mileage travelled. It'll take a while before all the bugs have the correct mileage.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I like the new TB features. Will we also be able to look at the bugs found from the profile screen?

Will the sort options be implement on cache searches as well? eg.

Name Date Type Distence Difficulty Terrain

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous