I found a cache, but couldn't sign the log

BlueNacho

A while back, I found a geocache in a place I took a train to reach. When I reached the cache, however, I realized I didn't have a pen. As a result , I just took a few photos of the cache and the geocoin that was in it. Is that good enough to log the find? I emailed the owner about a week ago but got no response.

A while back, I found a geocache in a place I took a train to reach. When I reached the cache, however, I realized I didn't have a pen. As a result , I just took a few photos of the cache and the geocoin that was in it. Is that good enough to log the find? I emailed the owner about a week ago but got no response.

Go ahead and log the find. Most cache owners won't make a big deal about it. Just be aware that a few CO's *do* make a big deal about it, and might delete your log. If that happens, log a note, shrug your shoulders, and move on! :D (And try to remember to always bring a pen!)

This sounds familiar as it happened a few times to us too. Since most of the caches were easily reachable, we went back to sign the log. In your case, with the train and photos, I'd just log the caches. As a previous poster says, most CO's don't have a problem with it, I know I wouldn't. I just want people to physically do/visit the cache, what you've done.

Log it.

That's really between you and the cache owner. Anybody that says otherwise is just misrepresenting the guidelines.

I have also been remarkably adept at finding a blade or grass or a leaf in that situation, allowing me to "sign" the log with my usual illegible scrawl that only my secretary might be able to read on a good day. But I trust you have logged it by now.

Since we can't have a proper forum thread without some dissent, I'll toss my $0.02 in:

My logging policy is strictly my own, and it is one I do not push on others, as it is highly contradictory. I will not log a find on any cache that does not bear my moniker, or semblance thereof. Period. If someone logs a find on one of my caches, I don't care if they've signed the log. If they feel their efforts constitute a find, I will not argue with them. Nor, will I ever conduct a comparison review of the signatures in my cache logs.

Generally speaking, my rule is you have to sign the log to get the smiley. But of course there are always exceptions to the rule. I am a LOT more flexible on caches that are, say, just a star or two of terrain. But if you think you're going to log the cache you see hanging in the tree without climbing, or log the cache that I have underwater without getting wet, then you'd better not mention that fact in your log, because I'll send you a polite email just before I delete the log. I've never audited my logs for sport. But I would if I suspect someone is trying to get a smiley on a high star cache without earning it. I've only done that one in my caching lifetime.

I don't think I would ever consider the lack of writing utensil a valid exception to the rule. There are too many options you could have done otherwise. Grass. Blood. Bug juice. Etc. A non-spoiler picture might do the trick in some circumstances but not all.

Edited by bflentje

I don't think I would ever consider the lack of writing utensil a valid exception to the rule. There are too many options you could have done otherwise. Grass. Blood. Bug juice. Etc. A non-spoiler picture might do the trick in some circumstances but not all.

I'd find SOME way to mark the log (grass or leaves work great except in the winter, or a dirty stick). Doesn't have to be a "signature" or initials, just a unique mark. Or take a picture of the log (maybe next to your GPS receiver) to show that you actually did find the cache and retrieve the log. Then log it online, mentioning what you did. Most likely the next finder (unless it's one of those "TFTC" loggers) will mention your mark.

In your case, go ahead and log it online.

It all has to do with common sense and intent.

If you attempt one of my hides...

If the issue why you cannot ink the paper has nothing to do with the challenge of the cache, and is only because you forgot a pen, then find some way to make a mark on the logbook and then enter an online find log. I'm fine with that. However, if the reason you didn't ink the paper is because you were unable or unwilling to retrieve the cache (for example, because it was out of your reach and you didn't want to climb or employ a tool or other method), then although you eyeballed the cache, you didn't complete (find) the cache, and if you do enter a find log anyway and I know that you didn't complete the cache, then I'm deleting your log.

Again, intent. I intended for you to climb the tree. I did not intend for you to forget your pen.

If I attempt one of your hides...

I won't enter an online find log unless my ink is on the paper of the logbook in that cache. If your logsheet is a big spitball - either I have to get an inked log on that mess of paper or I find an alternate piece of paper to serve as a temp log that I can write on and leave that with the cache.

Let's say I found an open ammo box at your coordinates, with obvious geocaching trade items dumped on the ground next to the container, but I cannot find the logbook. In that case, I may fashion a new logbook, sign it, gather and reassemble the cache, and rehide the cache in a reasonable manner. The cache is obviously broken, and I fix it and enter a find log since my ink is on the logbook.

Let's say I found shreds of plastic tupperware, pieces covered with camo-duct tape, scattered by a lawnmower at your coordinates. I also see small toys shredded and scattered. No logbook, and anything that was in or part of the cache is shredded and destroyed. In this case, I will not try to repair your cache because it is irreparable. I won't try to replace your cache because I don't know you and you may not appreciate it or I could possibly be mistaken in some way. In this case, although most people would conclude that I found the remnants of your cache and I probably did, it was not a viable cache when I was there and my log is not on a logbook in the cache, and so I enter a DNF.

Edited by bennet

I just received this from a new cacher (26 finds): "Didn't sign the log, didn't wanna have to fight to put it back in hahaha. TFTC"

His co-finder posted "Tftc!"

Yes, it is a dreaded nano on a black gate leading to a very interesting little cemetery GC1M520

My thought is since he's pretty new I should just contact him explaining that in the future he needs to actually sign logs.