I'm going to my first event cache.

munchtime

Hello All

I'm going to the event at the Herbert Art Gallery in Coventry; a week on Saturday. This will be my first event and I am really looking forward to it. I was telling my wife about this when she asked me what I was going to wear!! She says as I have never met another cacher, first impressions count! This never crossed my mind (obviously as I am a male)

So walking boots, wooly socks. shorts etc or suit, tie and bowler hat? ;-)

I love my Wife but will never understand her........................

Munch

We always turn up with a walk in mind, which for me normally means walking shoes, shorts, polo shirt and a body warmer with a loads of pockets.

If you have a roll of Masking tape at home try cutting a 6" (150mm) long bit and write your caching name on it, stick it on your jacket/shirt when you get there and then at least everybody will know your caching name.

Note to event organisers

Supply a roll of masking tape or some sheets of sticky labels as this does make it easier for people to mingle and chat rather than keep walking round trying to find out who is who.

It depends on the time of day as a general rule, if not otherwise specified on the event page, morning suit for a lunchtime event, black tie for evening.

*wanders away whistling nonchalantly...*

You forgot to mention that if there are ANY nearby caches in the middle of a swamp then only the finest Oxford brogues will do. Likewise if there are any nearby caches in the middle of a thorn bush or 30 feet up a hawthorn tree then a suit made of anything less than the finest and most delicate fabrics will just show everyone how you have no sense of style :D

Your wife is right, she obviously appreciates the fact that in order to be taken seriously within the geocaching fraternity you need to be correctly attired. So let's start from the inside and work out...

Underwear.

Many male geocachers refer to their use of a G-sack. Without going into too many details, I'm told it provides vital support when geocaching, allowing you to manipulate your particulars to a form that you, personally, are comfortable with. You need that inner comfort. I'm not sure exactly where you buy one but they're probably available mail order (in plain brown packaging). Make sure you get the camo one.

Then trousers...

To be ready for all geocaching terrains and all weathers you'll need trouser legs with a minimum of three three horizontal zip-off sections:

Very top of thigh zip-off: This will give you your "skimpies" - perfect for really hot weather beach caching. Wearing these will also show off all your geocaching leg scars from brambles, barbed wire and you'll be able to impress other cachers with the warm glow of your nettle rash.

Just above knee zip-off: Useful if you're a fairly new cacher who hasn't yet got the confidence for full thigh exposure. Use this one if your thighs are not quite as well-toned as you'd like them to be...

Mid-calf zip-off: Use this option for mid-winter caching in bleak weather conditions. This will convey the message "I'm a geocacher. We're a hardy breed. Even in snow and ice I can wear some sort of abbreviated trousers and get away with it."

Make sure that the bottoms of your trousers have good draw-strings - You don't want to allow any ingress for those pesky ticks and leeches, do you?

Belt

It will need to be substantial. Look for lots ways you can hang multiple carabiner clips from it to dangle lots of interesting "tools of the trade" from it. Make sure it's also strong but comfortable enough to hold in "cacher's belly" which you may acquire from eating too much cake at multiple events.

Shirt

Get a breathable one. Make sure it sounds healthy, not chesty. At least one breast pocket, two is better - make sure they're filled with a pencil (don't use one nicked from Ikea - thats, like, sooooooo last year) rite-in-the-rain pen, Space pen, Sharpie, pencil sharpener, Kendal Mint cake, tweezers for removing nano logs, quilling pen for re-rolling nano logs, random slightly squashed barley sugars.

You can wear a T shirt. That's just about acceptable at some of the more casual geocaching events... but make sure that it has a very witty geocaching slogan emblazoned across it. (You might want to go one better than, "I use multi-billion dollar satellites to find Tupperwear in the woods".)

Socks.

Yes. Always. Even with your high-terrain sandals. (You have got some of those, I hope?) Make sure they're made from finest merino cross-spun with alpaca for maximum comfort under your arches.

Hat.

You should have a selection of suitable hats, choose according to whatever the weather is like on the day of the event. Make sure you choose correctly! - You don't want other geocachers sniggering at you from behind their top-of-the-range Garmins because you're wearing a NY baseball cap and it's the grouse season and everyone else knows that means the start of the wide-brimmed-Tilley-type usage, do you?

I hope you find the above useful and you manage to avoid any sartorial faux pas at the event. You'll probably notice other geocachers attending in random jeans, T shirts, trainers etc. They're just playing at it - You will be showing your true professionalism and total committment to the Game.

Oh, and remember to enjoy yourself.

MrsB

(... dispensing valuable fashion advice since 1908)

Underwear.

Many male geocachers refer to their use of a G-sack. Without going into too many details, I'm told it provides vital support when geocaching, allowing you to manipulate your particulars to a form that you, personally, are comfortable with. You need that inner comfort. I'm not sure exactly where you buy one but they're probably available mail order (in plain brown packaging). Make sure you get the camo one.

Here is a photo of my G-sack. Note I've not gone for the camo version. In case you have trouble reading it, it says "I (love) Geocaching."

b56553ba-6594-4927-99df-dc7d4fa178f6.jpg

Munchime I'm hopefully going to that event too (not logged my "will attend" yet though). I will be dressed for urban caching (old trousers, T-shirt, fleece, trainers & rucksack) as I intend to do some afterwards! My walking boots will be in the car too, in case I decide to do some rural caching on the way home.

Name labels is a great idea, a real ice-breaker too.

Socks.

Yes. Always. Even with your high-terrain sandals. (You have got some of those, I hope?) Make sure they're made from finest merino cross-spun with alpaca for maximum comfort under your arches.

no way socks and sandals are acceptable in any situation, not even in the geocaching world :D

:D

Edited by t4e

It's an art gallery, get in there, strip naked with just a tracking number painted on your bum, then keep very still in a suitable pose - you should easily pass off as an exhibit then

And you can raise the money to bail yourself by taking bets on how many times you'll be "discovered" during the day :D