Reviewer claims new cache(s) will cause a FTF frenzy

StaticTank

why doesnt anyone listen to toz? he is so wise.

does it matter if anything changed?

if it is longer than 3 months the rules allow it.

so what is the problem?

This is exactly how I feel. I see so many people stating things like play how you want. If you don't like LPCs don't look for them. If someone wants to make a team a split up to boost numbers found in a day go ahead. If someone wants to reuse locations (it is done often here) why not let them do it. There isn't anything in the guildlines that says there can't be a new cache in the same spot. Caches around here tend to go unfound for long periods of time after they have been around for two years. I don't often go around trying to boost my numbers. I would rather spend one day looking for a really awesome cache than getting 200. But I see the merit of replacing caches with new ones.

StaticTank

Just for fun, try looking up ol' insomniaxe there. Doesn't exist as of a few minutes ago, and for good reason.

That's what happens if you call me wise :(

The reviewer is guilty of ascribing motives to the hider. The reviewer should stick to applying the guidelines, which would have made the current situation much clearer. The reviewer should have written something like "if this hide is substantially different from the predecessor, please resubmit and state such in a reviewer log. If this hide is not substantially different, then please either ask me to unarchive the predecessor, or just leave the spot open for someone else to hide a new cache".

toz has a good point that the reviewer should not be the judge of whether the replacement is "substantially" different. Luckily in this case this is easily resolved: just ask the hider to stipulate that it is substantially different. Not all hiders will use the same criteria and a few will lie, but that's not a big deal. Hiders can misrepresent hides in many ways, and reviewers are expected to believe hider statements in the absence of obvious reasons to the contrary, and not to act as private investigators.

Now for my opinion: if the area needs new caches and some hiders are willing to relinquish spaces to forward that goal, then they should archive the caches and wait a couple of months to see if someone else will hide a new cache. They could even communicate with other cachers that they hope others will do the same and that they will endeavor to hide new caches to replace cachers that others have archived. To me that makes a lot more sense than an archive and immediate replacement by the same hider. It won't work if there are space hogs in the area -- cachers who will usurp any open space and won't relinquish any space -- but it's well worth a try.

Calling a troll a troll is trolling, unless you are fishing under the bridge.

Edward

Do not feed the troll. Ignore and move on.

The responses to my discussion here will give me pause to ever bring up another topic in the future...I am really disappointed in all of you.

jedi-mind-trick.jpg

You are not the troll he was referring to.

But thanks for finally posting the rest of the story so that we can see it and pass judgment from afar.

Yea-same cache same location same experience, not a reason for a new listing.

The responses to my discussion here will give me pause to ever bring up another topic in the future...I am really disappointed in all of you.

That comment was NOT aimed at you, Static. It was aimed at a recent problem that has posted to your thread.

I think wimseyguy beats you on a funnier explanation. :( Priceless.

Normally I gotta' stick with the canine avi's, but the kitty suit case wins hands down this time.

No worries StaticTank. Eventually the little adolescent looking for attention will move on. Nothing we haven't seen before. I just hope I win the mod pool this time.

The reviewer is guilty of ascribing motives to the hider. The reviewer should stick to applying the guidelines, which would have made the current situation much clearer. The reviewer should have written something like "if this hide is substantially different from the predecessor, please resubmit and state such in a reviewer log. If this hide is not substantially different, then please either ask me to unarchive the predecessor, or just leave the spot open for someone else to hide a new cache".

I suggest that the reviewer, who gives dozens of hours a month to this game in order to keep the site free of dross and the caches as close to the guidelines as possible, is - possibly - "guilty" of no more than using a little levity.

And as far as I can see (my eyes started to glaze over halfway down the topic), we still don't have the GC# even of the original archived cache, so we're currently at the "third-hand hearsay" stage. The history of these forums shows that in such cases, the ratio of "evil power-tripping reviewers" to "misinterpretation by buddy of disappointed cache owner" tends to zero.

If the OP is still reading, here is my suggestion if you are still wanting the forum's opinion. Tell us:

Is the cache in the same spot?

Is the cache at the same coordinates, but in a different spot?

Has the cache moved 10', 50' 100'...?

Is is the same cache container?

Is it the same cache size?

Is it the same log book?

Does the log book still have all the old logs?

Does the cache have all the old swag?

Has the CO visited the cache since it was archived?

If not, does the CO even know if the cache is there or is usable condition?

If the OP is still reading, here is my suggestion if you are still wanting the forum's opinion. Tell us:

Is the cache in the same spot?

Is the cache at the same coordinates, but in a different spot?

Has the cache moved 10', 50' 100'...?

Is is the same cache container?

Is it the same cache size?

Is it the same log book?

Does the log book still have all the old logs?

Does the cache have all the old swag?

Has the CO visited the cache since it was archived?

If not, does the CO even know if the cache is there or is usable condition?

I"ve tried on more than one occasion to ask the OP harmless questions, and gotten selective responses. Trying to make sense of this one isn't going to happen, as the OP is communicating for a buddy, not only with us but with GS (which by the way, he's not explained.)

I would suggest not wasting you time on this topic, the OP may or may not still be reading, but he won't answer all our questions or give us all the information involved. It's a waste of time.

I suggest that the reviewer, who gives dozens of hours a month to this game in order to keep the site free of dross and the caches as close to the guidelines as possible, is - possibly - "guilty" of no more than using a little levity.

Nonsense. Everyone knows that one of the qualifications for being a reviewer is to lack a sense of humor.

So, what would you call the first person to find the 'new' cache?

FTFA (First To Find Again)?

How about FTRA (First to retrieve again)

If the cache is in the same location "Find" doesn't really apply. If they've previously found it, they know exactly where it is, and it's just a matter of going to the same spot (no point in even downloading the waypoint) and grabbing the container.

Nonsense. Everyone knows that one of the qualifications for being a reviewer is to lack a sense of humor.

I submit that the only thing that would drive a person to become a reviewer would be a sense of humor.

I suspect that sense of humor is quickly lost as they start digging through NA's and new caches requests from people who didn't read the guidelines.

If they've previously found it, they know exactly where it is, and it's just a matter of going to the same spot

Heck, for the terminally lazy, they wouldn't even need to do that much. If BillyBobNosePicker had already signed the log in its previous incarnation, he could simply submit an armchair find, claiming, rightly so, that his signature was in the logbook. That would make for an interesting quandary for Groundspeak, if the cache owner opted to delete the find and BillyBob challenged it. :):(

point of order: I invoke the resident of charlotte inalienable right to reference nasar at will clause

(no I'm not really a nascar fan, but the HOF is off the same train station that I use for work. people assume that a bored looking person on the train, wearing an ipod, dressed in biz casual, lugging a brief bag & handy rei lunch bag knows everything about center city and what's worse is willing to talk to excited strangers about it ergo I have earned the above clause)

If the cache is in the same location "Find" doesn't really apply. If they've previously found it, they know exactly where it is, and it's just a matter of going to the same spot (no point in even downloading the waypoint) and grabbing the container.

That's assuming that they remember the previous cache. After a while a lot of the "older" caches blur and blend together in the mind - at least, that's what I've noticed.

That's assuming that they remember the previous cache. After a while a lot of the "older" caches blur and blend together in the mind - at least, that's what I've noticed.

What your noticing is called old timers disease, I think it is caused by the growth of gray hair.

If there is anything we've learned from NASCAR it's that "second place is the first loser".
See - it's that mentality that feeds FTF seekers. My thought is that the second place driver in NASCAR still got to drive 200 mph.

In American Idol second place is better than first. You're not locked into overbearing recording contracts. I was not one of the first ones to wait in line to get an iPhone 4G. I kind of smugly laughed as the news reports of bad antennae, easily shattered screens and discolored corners came out. I'll be getting one soon - and I'll bet many of the glitches will be fixed by then. First place isn't ALWAYS the best. I'll let someone else got out and find the newbie's bad coordinates, or find out that it's placed beyond a no trespassing sign. Then when everything's correct, I'll find it.

Wow....As a reviewer, is s/he allowed to do that (public commentary on a geocaching dispute)

Sure. Keystone has commented several times when folks came and complained about him. Keystone did a very nice job of slowly roasting them. It was a fine work of art, one of the best jobs I have seen on the internet. I seem to recall several others have commented about disputes.

And I'm glad the reviewer posted the comments, and I do like the term churning. So now we have two sides of the same story. The jury can deliberate.

Wow....As a reviewer, is s/he allowed to do that (public commentary on a geocaching dispute)

I would think so. I mean, why not? Should the OP be the only one allowed to tell their version of events?

OK fair enough.

I still want my list of questions answered by the OP. I suspect when the OP reads them, s/he will know what the forum's opinion is, and so has left the thread.

In American Idol second place is better than first. You're not locked into overbearing recording contracts.

Actually, all of the top 10 are locked into recording contracts.

It has been argued by some that the best singer on American Idol always comes in second. This is a benefit to the company that owns their contracts. The second-best singer will sell a bunch of records because he or she is The Winner. The person who comes in second will sell a bunch of records because he or she is actually the better performer.

So if Clay Aiken had actually won, no one would ever have bought a Ruben Studdard album. But since Ruben won, he and Clay both sold a lot of records and the company made more money.

In American Idol second place is better than first. You're not locked into overbearing recording contracts.

Actually, all of the top 10 are locked into recording contracts.

It has been argued by some that the best singer on American Idol always comes in second. This is a benefit to the company that owns their contracts. The second-best singer will sell a bunch of records because he or she is The Winner. The person who comes in second will sell a bunch of records because he or she is actually the better performer.

So if Clay Aiken had actually won, no one would ever have bought a Ruben Studdard album. But since Ruben won, he and Clay both sold a lot of records and the company made more money.

CLAY WAS ROBBED!!!

But back on topic, IowaAdmin mentioned this issue on his blog yesterday.

I love the term "churning". We had a similar thing occur in our area a couple years ago, in that case the motivation seemed to be a desire to pump up one's number of hides. At least that hider turned some Trads into Puzzles and some Puzzles into Trads to shake things up a *little* bit.

Not that anyone cares, but I side with the reviewer in this case.

This brings up the question of "How much change is required before it should be archived?"

I think it is pretty clear -- if it is something you can update on your cache page yourself then it likely doesn't justify a new listing.

I had to modify a couple of my caches from Small to Micro. Same place, different size. I certainly did not see any reason to Archive and relist. I've replaced containers that have gotten muggled and rehid them in a slightly different place with better cammo. I updated the coordinates and modified the Difficulty, but there was no reason to Archive and relist.

If I have to move a cache so far that I require a Reviewer to do it then I would think that might be enough to justify a new listing. If I change from a Multi to a Traditional then I have no choice but to Archive and relist.

Archiving and relisting (churning) just so people can pump their number of Finds and/or Hides may not be a direct violation of the guidelines, but that doesn't make it any less lame. If your only reason to re-visit a location is because there is a cache there then I question how nice the location was in the first place.

Sure. Keystone has commented several times when folks came and complained about him. Keystone did a very nice job of slowly roasting them. It was a fine work of art, one of the best jobs I have seen on the internet. I seem to recall several others have commented about disputes.

And I'm glad the reviewer posted the comments, and I do like the term churning. So now we have two sides of the same story. The jury can deliberate.

I've been reading this whole debaucle, and I have to say that I agree with the reviewer. I also thought I didn't see anywhere that the reviewer mentioned an FTF frenzy, not in the email that the OP shared at all.

I'm not really sure where the OP got that idea... it seemed fishy to me from the beginning. It's good to hear both sides of a story. There are always two sides to every coin.

I don't see what the big deal is abou unarchiving the current cache listings once the container is replaced. What's the need to place a whole new cache?

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Look at post #119

Must have skimmed by that. I don't pay much attention to links when there aren't details given in the post.

I edited that post to explain it. Does that help out?

Dude, I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes by mentioning the IowaAdmin blog after you'd already linked to it. Time to move on.

Look at post #119

Must have skimmed by that. I don't pay much attention to links when there aren't details given in the post.

I edited that post to explain it. Does that help out?

Dude, I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes by mentioning the IowaAdmin blog after you'd already linked to it. Time to move on.

This is a funny forum. I have never been a part of a forum that misreads what people are typing as much as this one. Usually when I am bored and need a laugh, I come here to read. My toes were not stepped on to my knowledge. I was referring new readers to the post where they could read the blog you mentioned. To me I was working with you to refer those newer readers who don't read the whole topic to where they could find the blog you mentioned as I believe having two sides to any story is important.

Edited to fix using the wrong to/two/too. Changed "to" to "two".

Edited by clumzyfly

This is a funny forum. I have never been a part of a forum that misreads what people are typing as much as this one.

i agree with that.... too many uptight, wet blanket types that take themselves way too serious. it is much easier to sit on the sidelines and watch them jump at every mistype.

:)

i agree with that.... too many uptight, wet blanket types that take themselves way too serious. it is much easier to sit on the sidelines and watch them jump at every mistype.

:anibad:

Yet this silly miscommunication was worth the effort to jump in and insult people? *double eyeroll*

Yet this silly miscommunication was worth the effort to jump in and insult people? *double eyeroll*

Since when is that an insult? Unless you are one of those types of people, and somehow proud of it, then I wouldn't see it as one.

:laughing:

Since when is that an insult? Unless you are one of those types of people, and somehow proud of it, then I wouldn't see it as one.

Oh, right, jumping into the thread to call people "uptight, wet blanket types" was friendly banter. :anibad:

I still say all you bozos are wrong and Clay Aiken was ROBBED.

:laughing:

Oh, right, jumping into the thread to call people "uptight, wet blanket types" was friendly banter. :anibad:

Friendly? No. Insulting? No, unless you feel you are being targeted for fitting into the categories described. I personally wouldn't admit to being an uptight wet blanket, therefor wouldn't get offended :( I guess there are some who enjoy being uptight, wet blankets tho, and don't particularly enjoy being called out for being so.

On a completely separate note, Caramel Frappuccino from Starbucks, I haven't had one of these in about 5 years. Man it's tasty on this hot summer day.

:(

Oh, right, jumping into the thread to call people "uptight, wet blanket types" was friendly banter. :laughing:

Friendly? No. Insulting? No, unless you feel you are being targeted for fitting into the categories described. I personally wouldn't admit to being an uptight wet blanket, therefor wouldn't get offended :( I guess there are some who enjoy being uptight, wet blankets tho, and don't particularly enjoy being called out for being so.

On a completely separate note, Caramel Frappuccino from Starbucks, I haven't had one of these in about 5 years. Man it's tasty on this hot summer day.

So the argument is this:

Person A- You're a wet blanket.

Person B- That's a touch offensive.

Person A- Only a wet blanket would think so.

Person B- That's not very nice, the way you keep doing that.

Person A- OMG WET BLANKET WHY CAN'T YOU STOP.

Person B- Um, that name calling is kind of rude.

Person A- YARGLE! OF COURSE YOU THINK THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE A BIG WETTY WET WET BLANITY BLANKET!!!! BARGLE!!

I mean, just punch us twice for flinching and then go give the kid with the crutches and asthma a wedgie for crying out loud. Recess is almost over and I want to take a turn on the swings.

:(

Oh, right, jumping into the thread to call people "uptight, wet blanket types" was friendly banter. :laughing:

Friendly? No. Insulting? No, unless you feel you are being targeted for fitting into the categories described. I personally wouldn't admit to being an uptight wet blanket, therefor wouldn't get offended :) I guess there are some who enjoy being uptight, wet blankets tho, and don't particularly enjoy being called out for being so.

So the argument is this:

Person A- You're a wet blanket.

Person B- That's a touch offensive.

Person A- Only a wet blanket would think so.

Person B- That's not very nice, the way you keep doing that.

Person A- OMG WET BLANKET WHY CAN'T YOU STOP.

Person B- Um, that name calling is kind of rude.

Person A- YARGLE! OF COURSE YOU THINK THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE A BIG WETTY WET WET BLANITY BLANKET!!!! BARGLE!!

I mean, just punch us twice for flinching and then go give the kid with the crutches and asthma a wedgie for crying out loud. Recess is almost over and I want to take a turn on the swings.

The key to the WHOLE "argument" was the "you're" that you added to the first line. The initial wet blanket statement seems to have been added as a generic 'blanket statement' (no pun intended), to all persons with that type of personality on the forums, and not a direct attack.

Also, why do I have to be the unreasonable caps lock monger? :( that makes me sad! NOW YOU'RE THE WET BLANKET! (lol i kid)

Edit, I think there was a person C and D in that convo.

Edited by Dragery

Wow. what a buzzkill your responders to this have been for me. I am a newbie and have had the warm fuzzies about this community and hobby--until now. I just ventured out of the "getting started" topics and read on the "Who is lurking" forum how this kind of hostility is keeping people from posting in the forums. Now I see why. And one is a charter member??!! Should be ashamed of yourselves as experienced members. If you want to be a know it all, at least use your knowledge to be helpful rather than self righteous and arrogant.

Wow. what a buzzkill your responders to this have been for me. I am a newbie and have had the warm fuzzies about this community and hobby--until now. I just ventured out of the "getting started" topics and read on the "Who is lurking" forum how this kind of hostility is keeping people from posting in the forums. Now I see why. And one is a charter member??!! Should be ashamed of yourselves as experienced members. If you want to be a know it all, at least use your knowledge to be helpful rather than self righteous and arrogant.

Yes, I am replying to myself. I just wanted to add that even if you guys are spot on--you don't have to be jerks about it and belittle someone. Crap, I have enough people in other areas of my life that do that and I can't avoid it. Just saying...what are you telling us newbies--sign up to get this by choice?

Well since we were all correct, not so much buzzkills now were we. We see this kind of thing alot were someone want their side of a dispute supported, so comes here and gives half the story. When we finaly get the rest of the story it becomes obvious the OP was withholding info. If you can't handle us calling others out, stay in the getting started fourm.

That said, if you post a serious question or issue and are honest, you will get a good response. there are plenty of examples of that.

Yes, I am replying to myself. I just wanted to add that even if you guys are spot on--you don't have to be jerks about it and belittle someone. Crap, I have enough people in other areas of my life that do that and I can't avoid it. Just saying...what are you telling us newbies--sign up to get this by choice?

Reread the thread. The troll comment was for a known forum troll who stuck his nose in here. It was not about the OP or his situation.

Hi...

Don't let what you read in these Forums cause you to judge an entire community. Only a very small percentage of the total Geocachers in the world ever post here. I think you'll find the more you get into this hobby/sport, meet some real life geocachers, you will make some amazing friends, and you'll have a fantastic time as well.

Love to hang out here for the rest of the day, but I'm heading up to Spearfish SD in a few minutes for the Northern Hills Geobash III Chili Cook-Off event where I've made a pot of my world famous "Dad Furrball Alien Chili" to submit for judging. We'll see, it looks like the competition might be fierce. The rest of the weekend should be a great time socializing and caching with an estimated 100 people that are planning on attending the events tomorrow.

Take care...

The OP, StaticTank, is not a newbie. We started by being somewhat polite asking for the rest of the story. After he insisted the FTF frenzy was the whole story, we called BS. And it turned out to be BS. All the OP needed to do was give us the facts, and we would have been nice and said that we aggreed with the reviewer. End of story.

Edited by Andronicus

The OP, StaticTank, is not a newbie. We started by being somewhat polite asking for the rest of the story. After he insisted the FTF frenzy was the whole story, we called BS. And it turned out to be BS. All the OP needed to do was give us the facts, and we would have been nice and said that we aggreed with the reviewer. End of story.

See, this is how we get a bad reputation around here. So few are paying attention to the fact that the troll comment had nothing to do with StaticTank. They just see the word troll and apparently don't read enough of the thread to understand it was directed at someone other than the OP. Even the OP didn't catch that. He thinks he was called a troll. But it isn't true. Has the popular opinion gone against him? Yes. But that doesn't mean anyone is disrespecting him. His OP and subsequent posts were not the acts of a troll. The trolls post was.

Hi...

Don't let what you read in these Forums cause you to judge an entire community. Only a very small percentage of the total Geocachers in the world ever post here. I think you'll find the more you get into this hobby/sport, meet some real life geocachers, you will make some amazing friends, and you'll have a fantastic time as well.

Love to hang out here for the rest of the day, but I'm heading up to Spearfish SD in a few minutes for the Northern Hills Geobash III Chili Cook-Off event where I've made a pot of my world famous "Dad Furrball Alien Chili" to submit for judging. We'll see, it looks like the competition might be fierce. The rest of the weekend should be a great time socializing and caching with an estimated 100 people that are planning on attending the events tomorrow.

Take care...

Thank you for the reply. Now that I've had a chance to get over myself, I'm sure there are dynamics I just don't understand. However, I don't think I want to. My understanding is that there are a very few common sense "understood" rules for the sole purpose of protecting the legacy of the hobby. Where are these people getting the rest of the rules they're applying? Who the hell cares if someone logs the "same but different" cache twice. Where's the courthouse? I thought we were having fun here.

Okay, seriously off my rant--I AM having a fantastic time and am undeterred. Perhaps if I check in to the forums I will just be a spectator. Perhaps I will be unable to resist adding my voice. GC forums are actually the first I've ever participated in rather than just lurking. Anyway, it sounds like you are having fun in what I still think is the true spirit of Geocaching. Have a great time! I see myself doing the same someday. Would love that chili recipe! :anibad:

Edited by MindyRN6