Geocaching In Essex!

squirtchy

Hi, I live in Essex and am a very fond geocacher, I have only found 74 but would really like to find some more, the problem is, being only 16, it isn't looked upon by my generation as being very cool. I have become friends with a couple of geocachers in my local area, but they are a bit older (not that that matters) and are not always able to go caching, so my questions are...

Are there any websites/clubs ect on caching in essex?

If there aren't If i made my own, what would you expect to see on it.

And finally, how old are you? LOL O.o sounds strange but just curious to see what age groups we have on here.

Welcome to the hobby that will consume your young life....hehe

There are all age groups that go geocaching. I'm 29 and my caching partner is 51.

There are independently run regional forums. The one for your area is http://www.secaching.co.uk/forum/

Keep a look out for events in your area. Most areas have them regularly. They're great for meeting new people and discussing the hunt.

I'm just the wrong side of 30 and started caching in my late 20s.

I do know of a few cachers in their teens/early 20s. I've seen cachers mentioning they are at college/uni and I think there are a fair few involved in scouting too. As you say though, age doesn't matter, I've met and cached with people of all ages, young and old.

As for not being considered cool I guess that's everyone's personal opinion but there are alot of young people involved in outdoor activities such as cadets, scouting, hiking, cycling, climbing, travelling etc and I'd guess people involved in things like that would be more open to giving geocaching a go.

As Paul suggested, keep an eye out for local events and say hello on the SE caching forum. :D

Hi squirtchy, I am in my 40's and from Essex too. Hopefully will meet you at the next Essex Meet next month. My 18 year old son has helped me with some tree climbing caches in Downham and I am hoping he will join me on the River Lea series tomorrow. My 20 year old daughter does some light caching in South Yorkshire. I agree that those youngster who enjoy being outdoors, will enjoy the extra challenge that caching brings. Enjoy.

Hey squirtchy!

Im rapidly approaching 25, however I've always been a gadget/computer geek so my mates aren't surprised that I have another "geeky" hobby added to my collection. <_< I have a 24 year old best mate who I often go dog walkies with and she has been quite happy to come caching with me and didn't find it geeky at all really. I was also actually quite surprised to find that where I work (It's quite a large site) there are 3 other GeoCachers. I work in an IT department so geocachers get gold service from me! :wacko:

hello, its really refreshing to see your post and your interest in caching,i am 68 and have been caching since 2004,i have met all age goups at lots of events (it would be a good idea to attend one) please dont worry about age and the thing about peer pressure not being cool,you just go out yourself and enjoy yourself, we hope you find out all you need to know on the forum,folks in essex can you help this cacher in any way. happy caching patandjeff with sali and george the corgis who make up team bones1.

Definitely make the effort to go to one of the Essex meet-ups.

Geocachers of ALL ages will probably be there.

It'll most likely be in a pub but you don't need to take upon alcohol yourself, unless you fib about your age. like at least one other on this thread. :)

Same goes for Jessieinthesky. :)

Best wishes on your quest.

Essex Meet Six – The Donkey & Buskins, Layer (GC2EWTG)

This is the next bi-monthly meet for Essex cachers (and any other cachers who care to attend!) and takes place on 17th November. See the listing for details.

We try to ensure that these meets get spread around the county. Expect the January meet to be in Chelmsford and the March meet towards the south of the county.

Look forward to meeting cachers old and new.

Greetings from an ex-Essex gal, now in Canada. I came from the Brentwood area (Hutton) and lived for a short time in Tollesbury - not far from Maldon.

Over here we have cachers of all ages...keep a sharp eye out for events in your area to meet more cachers, and see if you can tag along with some other cachers also. Have you tried getting your folks hooked on this activity? Or at least the events? One of the people I work with started caching with her husband because of their daughter's interest. Friends of theirs started caching also, with their teenagers.....and now have a geocaching business.

Hi there

i have never been on a meet.....what are the details of this one plse?

quote name='helennbrian' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:31 AM' post='4528764']

Essex Meet Six – The Donkey & Buskins, Layer (GC2EWTG)

This is the next bi-monthly meet for Essex cachers (and any other cachers who care to attend!) and takes place on 17th November. See the listing for details.

We try to ensure that these meets get spread around the county. Expect the January meet to be in Chelmsford and the March meet towards the south of the county.

Look forward to meeting cachers old and new.