Whats the purpose of saying "Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble"?

Douce Us 5

...Seriously, reading through the thread, I wonder if people who log from the field have, or know how to use, the field notes. When did field notes come about? I can't remember when field notes appeared on my PN-40; I know that I discovered them quite by accident. It sounds like, at least with some of the phone aps, that if you log from the field, it logs it with the default tag-line only, and you have to edit your log later. I don't really know,...

The ONLY thing you can do from the field with Geocache Navigator is log a field note. Since you're using a smartphone, you COULD log into geocaching.com from the field and submit a proper log, but I prefer to compose a log entry from my PC back home. The Field Note created by Geocache Navigator has nothing in it except Trimble's tagline. You can't suppress creating that, nor can you change it to something else, but you can delete it from the log when you create the actual log from the Field Note. That's what I started doing after reading in the forums that some people found the tagline offensive. I still don't understand why it is offensive, but I'd rather remove it than offend the people who hide the caches and read the logs.

i like knowing who else is using their BlackBerry to cache. i use Geocache Navigator by Trimble. i used to leave the tagline on my logs since i use only my BlackBerry to log. Now i usually remove the tagline. i like it but i don't want to annoy local cachers.

While i enjoy writing longer logs, i have NO issues with other cachers leaving only TFTC or Logged from phone. Doesn't bother me at all. To each their own. As long as they had fun finding my cache i don't require detailed logs.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay