Whats the purpose of saying "Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble"?

Douce Us 5

Why do we need to know that? Who cares where you logged it from? I don't get it......should I start logging my finds "Logged from my home Gateway PC using WindowsXP and my AT&T browser"?

Just wondering what the point of doing that is......

Edited by Douce Us 5

I know when people use blackberrys and other smart phone for email that they usually attached that as a default sig line. I usually take it as a way for them to explain why they are not going into detail in there response. So my answer would be to explain why they are leaving a short log.

but it could be just to annoy people :D

Just how mobile logging works. When I first started caching I started doing something similar, but decided that I had more fun waiting until I get home in front of my computer where I can type super fast and post a nice detailed log about my adventure.

Although I tend to write some pretty absurdly long logs, especially for DNFs.

I don't see how I would be able to handle that from my phone.

This is my longest log posted this weekend (DNF):

it is on GC29D6 and my log is a DNF + 3 notes after that and about 1300 words. O_O

Edited by TABjuggler

The log that I used recently for an owner that logged my caches using the Trimble garbage.

Logged from my Intel Core 2 Quad based desktop PC custom built by Union City Computer Works with 3GB of DDR2 memory, running Windows 7 Professional and Internet Explorer Version: 8.06001.18943 with a Cipher Strength of 256-bits, protected by Norton Internet Security 2010 Version 17.7.0.12 by Symantec Corporation, entering characters via a Microsoft wireless keyboard, sending data through a Linksys WRT54G by Cisco wireless router and a Westel VersaLink modem that's connected to Verizon DSL running at 3.0Mbps download and 768Mbps upload, with bits being routed through ERIEPA-DSL-01.verizon-gni.net, PITT2-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net, LCC1-RES-BB-RTR1-RE1.verizon-gni.net, 0.so-4-1-0.XL3.IAD8.ALTER.NET, 0.so-2-0-0.XT1.SEA1.ALTER.NET, POS6-0.GW7.SEA1.ALTER.NET, internap-gw.customer.alter.net and border8.t7-1-bbnet1.sef.pnap.net before finally reaching Groundspeak's server farm and being stored in their database.

The log that I used recently for an owner that logged my caches using the Trimble garbage.

Logged from my Intel Core 2 Quad based desktop PC custom built by Union City Computer Works with 3GB of DDR2 memory, running Windows 7 Professional and Internet Explorer Version: 8.06001.18943 with a Cipher Strength of 256-bits, protected by Norton Internet Security 2010 Version 17.7.0.12 by Symantec Corporation, entering characters via a Microsoft wireless keyboard, sending data through a Linksys WRT54G by Cisco wireless router and a Westel VersaLink modem that's connected to Verizon DSL running at 3.0Mbps download and 768Mbps upload, with bits being routed through ERIEPA-DSL-01.verizon-gni.net, PITT2-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net, LCC1-RES-BB-RTR1-RE1.verizon-gni.net, 0.so-4-1-0.XL3.IAD8.ALTER.NET, 0.so-2-0-0.XT1.SEA1.ALTER.NET, POS6-0.GW7.SEA1.ALTER.NET, internap-gw.customer.alter.net and border8.t7-1-bbnet1.sef.pnap.net before finally reaching Groundspeak's server farm and being stored in their database.

love it.

But what kind of mouse did you use? The suspense is killing me!

:D can i borrow that? i promise i will add at the end ©uccacher

But what kind of mouse did you use? The suspense is killing me!

:D

I use a Nokia 5230 with the Trimble app.

When I log a find on the phone, it sends it to the field note page with just that comment, nothing else (and no option to add personal notes). When I return home and log the find on my home system, I enter notes and comments as appropriate using the field note page and delete the Trimble text before submitting it.

I tend to use it where I've done several caches, to save me looking up each one on an individual basis on my return home.

Edited by geobrian_w

And now the next five cachers are annoyed with *you* for gobbing up their "last 5 logs" on their paperless device. :D

Geez, people, it's a default added by the company, not the cacher. The cacher may not even realize that it's been added, or know if/how to delete it. If it annoys you that much, e-mail the cacher and ask them to delete it. People who use smartphones a lot are probably so used to seeing those kinds of taglines, that it doesn't even register to them that it is there, or that some might find it annoying.

I know when people use blackberrys and other smart phone for email that they usually attached that as a default sig line. I usually take it as a way for them to explain why they are not going into detail in there response. So my answer would be to explain why they are leaving a short log.

but it could be just to annoy people :D

I usually cache using my smartphone with Trimble's app. When I select the "Found it" option, a record is stored on GC's website.

I log my finds when I get home, and that annoying blurb is already waiting for me in the log. I have to delete it every time I log a find, which is annoying -- but not as annoying as seeing it in a cache log, I expect.

Edited to add: I see geobrian_w already said it for me...

Edited by mountainman38

Geez, people, it's a default added by the company, not the cacher.

yes, but the cacher makes the choice to use it

and they seem to be doing double the work anyway, log from the field and go through everything at home to edit

i can understand those that have no home PC/Laptop but makes no sense in the case of those that do

even when people go home and edit their log its kind of useless, i already got a notification for a new log that says "logged from blah blah", i don't get notifications for edited logs

Geez, people, it's a default added by the company, not the cacher.

yes, but the cacher makes the choice to use it

Not always. I have a bunch of logs out there that say "Logged using GCzII" on them. Never was presented with an option to enable/disable this in the program, it wasn't until I started reviewing caches I'd been to recently that I even noticed it was in there. Now, GCzII has removed that text in the program as of a few months ago.

Yell at Trimble, not the cacher who may not even know it's happening (or have any control other than replacing their primary GPS).

even when people go home and edit their log its kind of useless, i already got a notification for a new log that says "logged from blah blah", i don't get notifications for edited logs

It seems like its down to the smartphone/app combination used. As mentioned above, mine just adds a note to the field note page rather than the log proper, so you shouldn't be notified as it's not yet a new log entry, and it's no hardship or double handling to write up the details for submission (which I would be doing anyway) and delete the advertising text.

Aside from it being annoying (especially if that's the only log you get from a person), it is advertising. Some of the posts have joked about it (Carl's Jr), but doesn't it run afoul of the TOU? Or is it allowed because Trimble is a Ground Speak partner? :D

Edited by 9Key

Not always. I have a bunch of logs out there that say "Logged using GCzII" on them. Never was presented with an option to enable/disable this in the program, it wasn't until I started reviewing caches I'd been to recently that I even noticed it was in there. Now, GCzII has removed that text in the program as of a few months ago.

Yell at Trimble, not the cacher who may not even know it's happening (or have any control other than replacing their primary GPS).

my point is that most people go home and edit the logs so they clearly know what the smartphone logs look like yet they make the decision to keep logging from the field

my point is that most people go home and edit the logs so they clearly know what the smartphone logs look like yet they make the decision to keep logging from the field

And my point is that is not always the case. When I log from GCzII, there is no computer involved at any point in the process. I post a full log right there in the field - and GCzII for a while tacked that text on went it posted the log.

Yes, Trimble currently just saves it as a field note data that can be edited out if you notice it. But I don't support the idea of scolding cachers or deleting logs because they have not taken the time to remove an advertisement put there by their geocaching device. It's Trimble's screw up, not the cacher's.

Edited by northernpenguin

And now the next five cachers are annoyed with *you* for gobbing up their "last 5 logs" on their paperless device. :D

The log was on an event cache so I doubt that the next 5 cachers are going to give a rats rear end what I wrote. Besides that, I added other complimentary mumbo jumbo to the log before the smart aleck "signature"

And my point is that is not always the case. When I log from GCzII, there is no computer involved at any point in the process. I post a full log right there in the field - and GCzII for a while tacked that text on went it posted the log.

Yes, Trimble currently just saves it as a field note data that can be edited out if you notice it. But I don't support the idea of scolding cachers or deleting logs because they have not taken the time to remove an advertisement put there by their geocaching device. It's Trimble's screw up, not the cacher's.

i think we're talking about different things, i don't mind if something is added at the end of the log

this is what i am talking about

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2e-52a3abdf9a0a

and tbh it doesn't bother me to the point of even considering to delete someone's log, i just think that its not very nice, even a TFTC is better

The log was on an event cache so I doubt that the next 5 cachers are going to give a rats rear end what I wrote. Besides that, I added other complimentary mumbo jumbo to the log before the smart aleck "signature"

Ah, then it probably doesn't matter, then. Still think it's overboard absurd, though.

i think we're talking about different things, i don't mind if something is added at the end of the log

this is what i am talking about

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2e-52a3abdf9a0a

and tbh it doesn't bother me to the point of even considering to delete someone's log, i just think that its not very nice, even a TFTC is better

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying. Maybe older versions don't support field notes, or the user doesn't know how to do field notes? Actually, I can understand why someone WOULD log from the field, then edit the log later. (Assuming they can't/don't know how to do it with field notes.) Logging from the phone in the field would then create a list that they could easily access from their profile. Just click the cache link, and edit the log. If they wait until they get home, then they would have to manually look up and enter the GC code to log each cache.

Ah, then it probably doesn't matter, then. Still think it's overboard absurd, though.

I agree... If you don't like what someone does why try to outdo them at their own game. :D

Huh. I almost never edit logs, and if I do I still do it from my iPhone.

Either way, I think these logs are lazy. I hate short "tftc" or "found" logs. And if you know your phone auto logs this nonsense the you should go back and edit it into something more respectable…

uhmmm i think you mean 768kbps upload :D

As others have noted, it's the tagline Geocache Navigator puts in a log when one converts a field note to a log. There is no way to suppress it in the app. I never considered the tagline offensive or in bad taste. I just added whatever I put in the log in front of it, so that it stayed a tagline at the bottom of my log.

After seeing earlier comments in the forum about it, I started deleting it from the log.

And now the next five cachers are annoyed with *you* for gobbing up their "last 5 logs" on their paperless device. <_<

Exactly what I was going to say!

- Sent from my iPhone

Geez, people, it's a default added by the company, not the cacher. The cacher may not even realize that it's been added, or know if/how to delete it.
It's not like these devices are "everywhere" - it's typically more tech-savvy people using them, and they should be aware of what their device is doing & how to shut off the annoying bits.

- Sent from my iPad

People who use smartphones a lot are probably so used to seeing those kinds of taglines, that it doesn't even register to them that it is there, or that some might find it annoying.
All the more reason to politely let them know that it's annoying & asking them to remove it.

- Sent from my Droid

Trimble may be putting it into the field note but it's ultimately the cacher who's clicking "Post Log" with the content still there.

As previously stated, Trimble "logs" your find for you by that message, but then you can go back and edit your logs. I realize no one really wants to see that generic message so I personalize my logs as soon as I can. The generic log helps me remember which ones I found if I am out on an improptu caching trip.

I use CacheSense on a BlackBerry Storm. Sure I log from the field, sometimes as I walk back down the trail to the car. No tag line that I've ever seen. I think I'll continue to use C/S and not mess with Trimble. I sure wouldn't let logs with a tag line on my caches bother me though. I'm glad to get the logs in any case.

hairball

uh, snob statement? I could also log "Found with a five year old Garmin that was out of date when I got it while driving my 17 year old Jeep with the holes in the body, floor and the muffler." Nothing elitest about it, it's just a phone.

Edited by hairball45

That's awesome. <_<

Edited by ShortyBond

And now the next five cachers are annoyed with *you* for gobbing up their "last 5 logs" on their paperless device. ;)

- Sent from my iPhone

Geez, people, it's a default added by the company, not the cacher. The cacher may not even realize that it's been added, or know if/how to delete it.
It's not like these devices are "everywhere" - it's typically more tech-savvy people using them, and they should be aware of what their device is doing & how to shut off the annoying bits.

- Sent from my iPad

People who use smartphones a lot are probably so used to seeing those kinds of taglines, that it doesn't even register to them that it is there, or that some might find it annoying.
All the more reason to politely let them know that it's annoying & asking them to remove it.

- Sent from my Droid

Wow, you have an iphone AND a Droid? So does that mean that you hate yourself? :D:unsure: I do realize that the tagline is annoying, but I just didn't think posting a paragraph of gobble-de-gook on someone else's cache in retaliation was such a good thing. *#& (And I did suggest in my original post that if you are annoyed by it, then contact the poster, and ask them to remove it.)

Seriously, reading through the thread, I wonder if people who log from the field have, or know how to use, the field notes. When did field notes come about? I can't remember when field notes appeared on my PN-40; I know that I discovered them quite by accident. It sounds like, at least with some of the phone aps, that if you log from the field, it logs it with the default tag-line only, and you have to edit your log later. I don't really know, all my phone does is make calls and text. It's still branded as "Cingular", if that gives you any idea of how old it is! :unsure:

*Information posted later clarified that the gobble-de-gook was posted on an event cache, in addition to a real log, and that the logger had previously met the CO. So in this case, it was probably pretty funny.

#I still really hope that people will think twice about posting a similar paragraph of gobble-de-gook, because it would be really, really annoying to get that on my gps in the last 5 logs area.

&If you really must post a paragraph of gobble-de-gook to someone's cache to make a point, at least post it (so they get the e-mail), but then edit it out so others don't have to deal with it! :lol:

And now the next five cachers are annoyed with *you* for gobbing up their "last 5 logs" on their paperless device. ;)

- Sent from my iPhone

- Sent from my iPad

- Sent from my Droid

Wow, you have an iphone AND a Droid? So does that mean that you hate yourself? :D:unsure: I do realize that the tagline is annoying, but I just didn't think posting a paragraph of gobble-de-gook on someone else's cache in retaliation was such a good thing. *#& (And I did suggest in my original post that if you are annoyed by it, then contact the poster, and ask them to remove it.)

Seriously, reading through the thread, I wonder if people who log from the field have, or know how to use, the field notes. When did field notes come about? I can't remember when field notes appeared on my PN-40; I know that I discovered them quite by accident. It sounds like, at least with some of the phone aps, that if you log from the field, it logs it with the default tag-line only, and you have to edit your log later. I don't really know, all my phone does is make calls and text. It's still branded as "Cingular", if that gives you any idea of how old it is! :unsure:

*Information posted later clarified that the gobble-de-gook was posted on an event cache, in addition to a real log, and that the logger had previously met the CO. So in this case, it was probably pretty funny.

#I still really hope that people will think twice about posting a similar paragraph of gobble-de-gook, because it would be really, really annoying to get that on my gps in the last 5 logs area.

&If you really must post a paragraph of gobble-de-gook to someone's cache to make a point, at least post it (so they get the e-mail), but then edit it out so others don't have to deal with it! :lol:

Thank you for noticing that I mentioned that this "gobble-de-gook" was on an event cache so I'm sure that no one is going to care about the last five logs. I also included a paragraph of complimentary mumbo-jumbo before the "gobble-de-gook" when I posted the log.

My PN-60 holds an unlimited number of logs (well I'm sure there's a limit but I don't know what it is) but I've limited it to 15 because it seems that the majority of them are useless TFTC, found it (which is the default for DeLorme field notes), TNLN SL or copy and paste gobble-de-gook. I think I'm going to start using GSAK to delete the useless ones from caches that I put on my routes in the future. That will require some work, but it may pay off in the end. Read some my logs and I think you'll find that they're usually pretty well done.