Book tracking!

Jeremy

I found two book sitting on my book shelf that I havn't read in years but I just can't throw away. I entered then at BookCrossing and left them in an airport near where I live. I hope they are getting read, and do not end up in the landfill or blown-up by the bomb squad. icon_eek.gif

I guess I'll know soon. icon_smile.gif

- Lone Rangers

I found two book sitting on my book shelf that I havn't read in years but I just can't throw away. I entered then at BookCrossing and left them in an airport near where I live. I hope they are getting read, and do not end up in the landfill or blown-up by the bomb squad. icon_eek.gif

I guess I'll know soon. icon_smile.gif

- Lone Rangers

Thanks for bringing bookcrossing to my attention. As my wife is an avid reader and does not often travel with my daughter and I on geocaching quests, I showed the link to her. She is thrilled with the concept and has already registered. Now when my daughter and I tell her all about our travel bug plans and geocaching expeditions, she will be able to share her book crossing adventures with us.

I came across this BOOKCROSSING site around the time I hid my first geocache so I marked and entered a FARSIDE book by Gary Larsen and put it in my cache. The first people to grab the book tried to enter it with no luck and my entry had disappeared so I figured the programmers their were not up to Jeremy's compentency level.

Anyone using them?

--- yrium ---

quote:
The first people to grab the book tried to enter it with no luck so I figured the programmers their were not up to Jeremy's compentency level.

I resemble that remark. icon_smile.gif Seriously though, the journal entry process is pretty simple. We've got about 2,100 members, many of them geriatric AOL users, who aren't having any trouble. Here's a successful release and follow up from this morning:

Successful BookCrossing Release from 3/14

There will be problems with any complex site. Most are user errors, many are errors of instruction or confusion, and a few a genuine code errors. I've seen 'em all, believe me. And I'm pretty responsive and fix problems in the second and third categories. We're getting about 100 new members a day since the Book magazine write-up, so problems can't hide for long. icon_smile.gif

Jeremy and I are going to try to build on the symbiosis that seems to have taken root between GC and BC. If anyone has any ideas how we might best do that, please contact me directly at ron@bookcrossing.com.

Happy Caching & Crossing!

Ron

My BookCrossing Bookshelf

[This message was edited by BookCrossing on March 14, 2002 at 09:11 AM.]

quote:
The first people to grab the book tried to enter it with no luck so I figured the programmers their were not up to Jeremy's compentency level.

I resemble that remark. icon_smile.gif Seriously though, the journal entry process is pretty simple. We've got about 2,100 members, many of them geriatric AOL users, who aren't having any trouble. Here's a successful release and follow up from this morning:

Successful BookCrossing Release from 3/14

There will be problems with any complex site. Most are user errors, many are errors of instruction or confusion, and a few a genuine code errors. I've seen 'em all, believe me. And I'm pretty responsive and fix problems in the second and third categories. We're getting about 100 new members a day since the Book magazine write-up, so problems can't hide for long. icon_smile.gif

Jeremy and I are going to try to build on the symbiosis that seems to have taken root between GC and BC. If anyone has any ideas how we might best do that, please contact me directly at ron@bookcrossing.com.

Happy Caching & Crossing!

Ron

My BookCrossing Bookshelf

I have put two books in caches. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which was turned into a Travel Bug by Zcat

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=445

Message in a Bottle which I put my email addy in with a note to contact me if and when the book was read and passed on was placed in Dutch Birthday Cache with a View.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13693

Which has not been taken yet. icon_confused.gif

I hate to part with my books as a rule. When we moved to CA from England, books were our heaviest items to pack!

Pereginus

I have put two books in caches. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which was turned into a Travel Bug by Zcat

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=445

Message in a Bottle which I put my email addy in with a note to contact me if and when the book was read and passed on was placed in Dutch Birthday Cache with a View.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13693

Which has not been taken yet. icon_confused.gif

I hate to part with my books as a rule. When we moved to CA from England, books were our heaviest items to pack!

Pereginus

quote:
The first people to grab the book tried to enter it with no luck so I figured the programmers there were not up to Jeremy's compentency level.

My sincere apologies to BookCrossing staff. I was trying to give Jeremy a compliment and didn't realize that the way I phrased it was less than nice.

I do have to add that I followed up my message here with a query to BookCrossing and they located my book and re-added it to the database. I'll add a couple more books to the mix and see how it works.

My first release bookcrossing book

Sorry again for my foot-in-mouth

--- yrium ---