Lowrance is calling my name

golfdiva

It seems is was only yesterday I bought my Garmin Etrex and was on this forum accusing you'all of a giant snipe hunt because I couldn't figure out how to find caches! Well, I'm ready to upgrade now and that Lowrance Endura Sierra is really speaking to me!

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors2/Endura-Sierra

Anyone have a compelling reason I should buy something different?

Thanks!

Only three reviews at Amazon, but uniformly unimpressed (I have no direct experience with any Lowrance, so no personal opinion to specifically offer).

I would suggest the DeLorme PN-60 for your consideration...should be in about the same price range. Garmin's Oregon 450 garners a lot of recommendations on these boards, too.

Thanks for the reply!

The two things that really got me about the Sierra is the touch screen and the voice turn by turn capability!

Only three reviews at Amazon, but uniformly unimpressed (I have no direct experience with any Lowrance, so no personal opinion to specifically offer).

I would suggest the DeLorme PN-60 for your consideration...should be in about the same price range. Garmin's Oregon 450 garners a lot of recommendations on these boards, too.

Those reviews are kinda weird, aren't they? What do they mean "no autorouting available?" Yes the Enduras Sierra and Safari do auto-route, in fact they do voice auto-routing.. What's the confusion?

And the 3rd guy was upset because the Vantage point software crashed his unit... Umm, isn't Vantagepoint a Magellan software?!? :D

I'm not saying the Enduras are perfect, but geez! lol

Well since you asked....

My Safari was my last Lowrance. I was very excited to upgrade from my I finder Expedition C, and for a week or two I could get by the issues of the clunky slow screen (I didn't know better.) Then other issues like the unit shutting down while loading PQ's and caching started to worry me But Lowrance promised a fix for these issues and I was as patient as my 30 day return window allowed. There were some other problems, scrolling through the touch screen was like winding a spring, and now and then it would "unwind" and take you back to where you started, and the issue of shutting down when close to a waypoint.

To the best of my knowledge folks are still waiting for that promised upgrade.

I decided to take my vendors advice and try the Oregon. Best decision I've made in a long time, I've had my 550 for about three months and Garmin has released 3 or 4 (?) upgrades in that time.

On a positive note, Endura Expert is very helpful, and an asset to the forum!

When you log a cache as found, the Enduras also fail to update the icon for the GC on the map to indicate it's found. Other GPSrs do this correctly.

Yes, the Geocache list can be set to only list GCs that haven't been found, but it doesn't fix the map icons.

Annoying, but not necessarily critical.

I have the Out&Back.

I have further noticed that when navigating to a cache and using the Map screen, the little arrow indicating direction of travel is often wrong. It will point 90 degrees off of my bearing, even while it continues to update the map showing that I'm correctly closing in on the GC/Waypoint.

Maybe the Safari and Sierra models with electronic compasses are better at this. I don't recall having this problem with my iFinder H2O, and it is also without an electronic compass.

When you log a cache as found, the Enduras also fail to update the icon for the GC on the map to indicate it's found. Other GPSrs do this correctly.

Yes, the Geocache list can be set to only list GCs that haven't been found, but it doesn't fix the map icons.

I have the Out&Back.

I have further noticed that when navigating to a cache and using the Map screen, the little arrow indicating direction of travel is often wrong. It will point 90 degrees off of my bearing, even while it continues to update the map showing that I'm correctly closing in on the GC/Waypoint.

Maybe the Safari and Sierra models with electronic compasses are better at this. I don't recall having this problem with my iFinder H2O, and it is also without an electronic compass.

The Lowrance Endura GPS's are excellent units. The only people who have a problem with them are the ones unwilling to learn how to use them properly. I have had my Sierra in addition to several Garmins, and Delormes and find the Enduras to be exceptional units, and I prefer to use my Sierra in deference to the others ( yes, I own the others as well) because the others all lack something the Sierra has or the Sierra does better, in my opinion.

Please do a search on this forum to see a less skewed perspective than those ridiculous very early comments that people seem bent on focusing on.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact myself or Endura Expert for a tad more positive, and accurate information about these products.

Be safe.

N

I have the Out&Back.

The Lowrance Endura GPS's are excellent units. The only people who have a problem with them are the ones unwilling to learn how to use them properly. I have had my Sierra in addition to several Garmins, and Delormes and find the Enduras to be exceptional units, and I prefer to use my Sierra in deference to the others ( yes, I own the others as well) because the others all lack something the Sierra has or the Sierra does better, in my opinion.

Please do a search on this forum to see a less skewed perspective than those ridiculous very early comments that people seem bent on focusing on.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact myself or Endura Expert for a tad more positive, and accurate information about these products.

Be safe.

N

My only mistake was owning two iFinders before purchasing an Out & Back. After using it for a few weeks I grew tired of doing without the mapping detail and menu options I had grown accustom to so I went back to the H20C. I have nothing but praise for EnduraExpert but I fear he is swimming against the current.

Edited by Indotguy

I have the Out&Back.

Be safe.

N

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that some of us who point out flaws in the Endura don't know how to use it properly.

It's not like I have a beef against Lowrance. I own an iFinder Go, an iFinder H2O, and now the Endura Out&Back. I really want to like this GPS. I paid what I consider a non-trivial sum for it, and I'd like to feel like I made the right investment.

You can't deny that there are still some lingering flaws with the unit. I have the benefit of directly working with other GPS units and being able to compare. Our backpacking club just bought 5 Delorme PN-40's, and several club members own Garmin GPSMap 60csx models. We've spent some time Geocaching together with the various units, comparing features, etc.

The touch screen makes it hard to read in direct sunlight. In forested areas, it's not a big problem.

Response time to clicking on the screen or hitting the buttons can be slow. I'm not the only one who's reported this.

Yes, you can filter the Geocache list to eliminate ones logged as found, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that on the map, you can still be confused by GC icons for found and not-found having the same icons. The Delorme PN-40's properly address this. So do the Garmins.

These aren't cases where I am "unwilling to learn to use it properly". These are flaws in the unit, some of which can hopefully be fixed by firmware updates.

There are other things that I do like about the Endura.

I like how I can copy .gpx files directly onto the unit's internal memory or the microSD card as a mounted drive. I don't need to convert the file to a different format or to use some special software to sync with the unit.

I like how it handles paperless geocaching features . Aside from the found/not found icon problem, I think they are easier to use than, for example, the Delorme PN-40.

I like the screen size. I like the high resolution USGS topo maps from mapselect.com, though they are expensive if I hope to cover a large area. I haven't tried one of the preloaded map cards yet, but plan on purchasing the Great Lakes one soon.

I also do a lot of hiking, backpacking, and trail running. For recording trails, it also does very well.

I also appreciate the presence of EnduraExpert on these forums.

Hopefully, Lowrance can continue to work on firmware updates for the Endura line. I think it's come a long way from where it was when the product was originally released.

I have the Out&Back.

Jjmcwill,

I do hear your comments and I wanted to let you know that we are working on a firmware upgrade that will address some of your concerns as well as add some features that other users have asked us to include.

One of the feature fixes will allow the icons to change after you find a cache.

Please keep the feedback comming, it will allow us to keep improving the Enduras.

Thanks,

EnduraExpert

Edited by EnduraExpert

I have no real issues with my Safari, aside from the spinning compass when it gets near fences, watches and trains...then I just switch to GPS mode compass, and deal with a weird lag.

I also have seen those weird arrow reversals, sluggishness and sometimes it gets downright confused. A simple reboot seems to help it.

But what I would really love to know is how in heck do you know what version software or firmware you have on these units? Mine did not come with any additional cards, everything was preloaded. The computer properties icon does not say anything about soft or firmware versions.

Also - how to get the stupid nav settings page out of grey mode? couldn't even get the information at the website?

Edited by FIO_in_TN

I have no real issues with my Safari, aside from the spinning compass when it gets near fences, watches and trains...then I just switch to GPS mode compass, and deal with a weird lag.

I also have seen those weird arrow reversals, sluggishness and sometimes it gets downright confused. A simple reboot seems to help it.

But what I would really love to know is how in heck do you know what version software or firmware you have on these units? Mine did not come with any additional cards, everything was preloaded. The computer properties icon does not say anything about soft or firmware versions.

Also - how to get the stupid nav settings page out of grey mode? couldn't even get the information at the website?

To check the firmware you will need to be at the "Main Menu", then press and hold the "Menu" button for about 5-10 seconds and you will get an "About" screen that will show you your firmware version. It sounds like you might need to do the 1.4 upgrade.

The "Navigation" settings page will be grayed out until you insert a "Turn by Turn" mapping card, since it allows you to specify the option for driving directions.

The "Nav Options" selection from the "Main Menu" will be grayed out until you start navigating to a waypoint, geocache or select a route or trail to navigate.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

EnduraExpert

To check the firmware you will need to be at the "Main Menu", then press and hold the "Menu" button for about 5-10 seconds and you will get an "About" screen that will show you your firmware version. It sounds like you might need to do the 1.4 upgrade.

The "Navigation" settings page will be grayed out until you insert a "Turn by Turn" mapping card, since it allows you to specify the option for driving directions.

The "Nav Options" selection from the "Main Menu" will be grayed out until you start navigating to a waypoint, geocache or select a route or trail to navigate.

EnduraExpert

Hello,

Has the Icon issue for geocaches that have been found been corrected?

Is there a list of firmware upgrades and the fixes that have been addressed available somewhere that I can look at? I am considering one of these units.

Thank you

Edited by skywalker

EnduraExpert

Hello,

Is there a list of firmware upgrades and the fixes that have been addressed available somewhere that I can look at? I am considering one of these units.

Thank you

If you are referring to the cache icon not changing to indicate "found" status, no, that issue has not been addressed. The Lowrance website list all previous firmware upgrades. As I recall, clicking an update link will display instructions as well as primary issues addressed by that particular update.

Edited by Indotguy

EnduraExpert

Hello,

Thank you

If you are referring to the cache icon not changing to indicate "found" status, no, that issue has not been addressed. The Lowrance website list all previous firmware upgrades. As I recall, clicking an update link will display instructions as well as primary issues addressed by that particular update.

Indotguy is correct, that issue has not be corrected, yet. It is something that is included in the next firmware release, at this time I do not have a release date for Firmware version 1.5 but a majority of the fixes are Geocaching related. Once I do get an estimated release date and a confirmed list of fixes I will post it here.

Hello,

Thank you

Indotguy is correct, that issue has not be corrected, yet. It is something that is included in the next firmware release, at this time I do not have a release date for Firmware version 1.5 but a majority of the fixes are Geocaching related. Once I do get an estimated release date and a confirmed list of fixes I will post it here.

Thank you very much for the update and keeping us posted when the Firmware update becomes available. Can you give me the link to the lowrance website that list all the previous firmware upgrades?

Edited by skywalker
The routing option must be purchased though at about $100. Up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Heck, for that price...or just a bit more, you can get a Garmin Nuvi for the car and have an actual dedicated car nav unit with voice. Anyone have a clue how often Lowrance updates its maps? Cost? Are they even any good? Garmin (Navteq) tends to be excellent.

The routing option must be purchased though at about $100. Up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Heck, for that price...or just a bit more, you can get a Garmin Nuvi for the car and have an actual dedicated car nav unit with voice. Anyone have a clue how often Lowrance updates its maps? Cost? Are they even any good? Garmin (Navteq) tends to be excellent.

@golfdiva,

In your opening post, you mentioned using the GPSr for your geocaching hobby.

I suggest that when presented with conflicting advice as above, that you check the profiles of the advisors for their respective levels of geocaching experience and weigh them accordingly.

I suggest that when presented with conflicting advice as above, that you check the profiles of the advisors for their respective levels of geocaching experience and weigh them accordingly.

Wow, my very own private stalker who now shows up everywhere. :mmraspberry: and tons of :signalviolin:

Edited by sviking

Wow, my very own private stalker who now shows up everywhere. :mmraspberry: and tons of :signalviolin:

10-4, and now I'm going out to eat and ask the 300# server for their advice on which is the least fattening item. Copy that?

10-4, and now I'm going out to eat and ask the 300# server for their advice on which is the least fattening item. Copy that?

Your major fail is you know NOTHING about me, unlike your irrelevant overweight server analogy. And, just because the server may choose to not eat healthy in their personal life, where does it preclude in ANY WAY them not knowing the nutritional content of their menu? Hell, it may even be a job requirement.

Your major fail is you know NOTHING about me, unlike your irrelevant overweight server analogy. And, just because the server may choose to not eat healthy in their personal life, where does it preclude in ANY WAY them not knowing the nutritional content of their menu? Hell, it may even be a job requirement.

Roger that!

All I need to know is that you made an unfortunate post criticizing me, for which you could apologize:

I don't need to post information for it to be stricken through and replaced with drivel and inconsequential gibberish in red.

Well, when you're wrong...you're wrong. :signalviolin:

And, that's "you're" as in "you" in general...not a specific person. Before you comment on such as you're so often wont to do... :mmraspberry:

Next, you could condition your advice by forewarning the OP who was seeking advice concerning paperless caching by advising him that you have never used the subject GPSr that you were recommending for that activity.

Furthermore, you might search my posts and find that nowhere have I modified a post of another by striking through and replacing with red font text. And, no, I will not assume the practice of doing such to the posts of others in the future.

Any other questions regarding polite behavior?