Attempted Muggle Conversion....Fail

Snoogans

My wife has always enjoyed attending Geocaching Events, but she can take or leave them. Secretly, I've hoped that my wife's interest in geocaching as an activity would build over time... Silly Snoogans!

I planned a nice weekend for us and hardly spared an expense on a hotel and dinner reservations, because The Snoogstress agreed to travel to Austin with me so I could hunt Necropolis of Britannia Manor III. :huh::):D

Having advanced knowledge of the detail involved in the final, I just KNEW she'd be sucked in and want to cache more.

While dealing with an unruly Snooglet and the Snoogstress becoming ever more fed up with running around looking for clues, in 101 degree heat, I said something to the effect that she would never like caching and her response was so to the point that I finally got it. She said, "If broccoli was purple or orange, but nothing else about it had changed, would you like it?" :laughing:

Message received loud and clear. I went on to the final the next morning.... alone.

We continued on to San Antonio the next day and she really enjoyed Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum, but for it's own sake and because Barney is such an interesting character and because my son seemed to enjoy it as well.

I get it now. You can't convert a muggle that has a working knowledge of geocaching and still isn't interested in the activity.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes, I have tried to entice my other half into going caching with me by telling him that it was near a certain store or that some others have found interesting plants while caching. He still just sits in the car while I'm left to search alone or with my children.

If we're heading to town for a shopping day and I grab my Geobag he sits down and says have a good time.

But it's all ok. Now I have something that's just for me and the kids... and I'm ok with that.

You sound like me – I just can’t fathom how anyone could try geocaching and NOT enjoy it :laughing:

But I have taken a few people out caching with me over the past couple of years, and although they’ve all seemed to have a good time on the day, none of them has rushed out to buy a GPS and taken it up themselves.

Odd people :huh:

It’s a pity your partner doesn’t enjoy it though, mine happily comes out with me / the family caching. Although I suspect that I am the prime driver – ie if I wasn’t there planning the days out and loading up the GPS, he probably wouldn’t bother of his own accord.

I’m extremely jealous of you for having the opportunity to tackle Lord British’s extravaganza, by the way, how was it?

My wife has never taken an interest. She will put up with me to a certain extent. She acted as designated driver for a morning on the ET highway, keeping her sanity by timing how long it took to get out of the car, sign the log and get back. She enjoys seeing things so earthcaches and virtuals are generally fine. Last Sunday she even risked ticks and poison oak to come with me to an isolated spot on the Bay. But I have to be careful about how I use the caching credits, we don't stop unless the location might be interesting and if I can't find the cache right away it's time to move on. Sometimes she mentions that we should go someplace without the gpsr. And sometimes I hear the Whine of the Non-Geocaching Spouse

My daughter is another story. She introduced me to the game when they found a box on a school field trip and she showed it to me when we were in the area. She enjoyed caches but perhaps too many were depleted. So now she will come hiking or biking with me, but would never look for a cache. So I have to be careful about caching credits with her as well.

In general, people either get it or they don't and if they don't they probably never will.

Edited by mulvaney

the opportunity to tackle Lord British’s extravaganza, by the way, how was it?

Freakin' AWESOME!!! Read my log. I actually have a follow up log to post when I have time.

Just did just that

In fact there have been a couple of new logs added since I last gazed longingly at that cache page sighing dramatically, so I read those too

Oh why oh why does it have to be in Texas????

Let’s hope Lord British might one day set up something equally as amazing on British soil

(or that the price of air fares comes down enough for me to get back out to America – at least I could catch a Dallas Stars game at the same time and add another NHL arena to my collection :D )

I have the same problem. My wife doesn't care that I geocache at all as long as it doesn't interfere with what she wants to do. She doesn't mind if we are out and a grab a quick P&G, but she will never go out hiking to find one. I am also trying to get my son interested as well but I think he is still a little young to get into it. I have also introduced a couple of my hunting buddies to it and they seem to enjoy it while we are out but they very rarely go out by themselves. My solution to my issue is I only work 3 days a week so the days that I am off I geocache all I want. :D

So your point is that you don't like broccoli? :D

Smother the broccoli in a smooth creamy cheese sauce, nobody can resist that. As for caching...offer a chilled adult beverage to be enjoyed after making the find!

Especially if you make it from purple broccoli! Yum!!

aapbroc.jpg

Snoogans, didn't you actually meet her at a caching event in the first place? :D

Yep, me too.

A couple of weeks ago, we had to go out of town a little to move my son into his dorm room. There was a cache on campus only 400 ft away from his room! She promised me she would go with me on this one. Little did I know that her idea of accompanying me was to sit in the car, while I ran into the woods to grab it.

I'm not giving up just yet. I've been a member for a while, but just started back up a month ago after a 2 year hiatus. Since I started back, I have lost 4 inches in my waist, and I am attributing it all to getting out of the house via geocache. I think she is starting to get jealous and will be with me soon. :D

Regards,

Tim P.

... My solution to my issue is I only work 3 days a week so the days that I am off I geocache all I want. :D

I think I have to hate you now......

You know you are not the only one that has told me that :) I know my wife hates me for working only 3 days a week and she is a school teacher which she gets off 3 months a year and I still work less then she does. :D

Threads that go BUMP in the night.

The man with the over sized ego was gonna do it anyway so what the heck?! :laughing:

Huh? I don't get it.

For the record, Mrs. Yuck has found Geocaching to be stupid for coming up on 8 years now, that's never going to change. Can't be too bad, she's still Mrs. Yuck, right?

I think it's just different strokes for different folks.

Luckily, my husband likes geocaching. And when he and I go out together it's always a good time. I love caching with him because he usually spends most of the time being flirty with me and I think it's sweet when he goes through the trail first so I don't walk through cobwebs. :laughing:

BUT, when we add the kids to the mix or my friend and her kids who sometimes come along, it's no longer fun for me if he's there too. I'm not sure why his demeanor changes when the kids or other people come along but it does change, and it changes in a way that makes it a very UNfun experience for me.

I guess I have to be thankful because my wife likes going out with me, especially if we are going out when we are away on a trip. The kids also like going out and now everyone has there own membership. I also have two older sons who are out on their own and they have gone out with me, but they would not go out unless I am with them. My oldest might buy a gps and start going by himself, but I'll wait and see it that happens. Don't give up on those you want to convert. It may take years, but it's worth it.

Well, not that it would have changed her mind or anything, but it would have been better for her to have skipped the multi part and then have just done the final. I had a similar situation with my husband in February when we visited Necropolis. The weather was great for us, but I could see him getting more and more frustrated as we went from each stage to the next. Wish we could have just gone straight to the final (although I really enjoyed Mt. Bonnell).

I can't imagine caching without my hubby. I think I am into it more than him, but we have great fun on our outings. Always.

What gets me are friends to whom I describe geocaching and their responses are usually, "I wouldn't like that." How the heck could they know they wouldn't like it? And there isn't the slightest bit of curiosity, either. They think it is too high tech for them? Or it takes too much energy to move around so much?

My other half has gone with me a few times and some of the trips he has enjoyed. Others he has not. The kids have gone with me as well. My son likes it but other two kids aren't really all the interested. My husband loves the history caches. The ones that have history conected to the cache or the area. We did one that was part of where a hotel and retreat area was back in the 50s and 60s. He got so hung up looking at the ruins and reading all the markers it took much longer to hike to the cache. The area was great and so interesting that I could understand the wanting to real get into the history of the area. I just didn't like all the stops and starts once we started climbing. I just want to keep moving so I wouldn't get the feeling I wasn't going to make it to the top. Made it we did but it was more challenging then both of us wanted it to be. Worth it for the veiw from the top.

My other half thinks geocaching a complete and utter waste of time that could be more productively spent (by me) by doing the housework :blink: .

Took her with myself and children to a beautiful waterfall in the mountains (to pick up the geocache nearby) but she spent the whole 1-hour drive complaining!

Since, then, she only lets me go caching if I also take the (13month old) baby with me. This limits me to T<=2 caches :sad:

However, -- since Miss 5 and Master 3 are keen geocachers there is still hope for my caching future as Master 1 becomes more mobile...

My other half thinks geocaching a complete and utter waste of time that could be more productively spent (by me) by doing the housework :blink: .

Took her with myself and children to a beautiful waterfall in the mountains (to pick up the geocache nearby) but she spent the whole 1-hour drive complaining!

Since, then, she only lets me go caching if I also take the (13month old) baby with me. This limits me to T<=2 caches :sad:

However, -- since Miss 5 and Master 3 are keen geocachers there is still hope for my caching future as Master 1 becomes more mobile...

Well, I hope she doesn't read this, that'd probably really agitate her. :rolleyes:

As I read this thread I asked my totally non-geocaching wife what she would consider an enjoyable geocache outing. She said it would have to be a VERY nice day with the temperature between 65 &72. No chills & no sweating! Very little wind, if any. She doesn't mind a little bit of a walk as long as the terrain is level or at least down hill to & from the car. The ground must be firm with out any rocks, roots, or branches to trip on. Also, no mud. If we are on a trail it must be paved. Ticks, mosquitos, spiders, or snakes must be totally removed from the area before she enters. The cache should be in plain sight or at least have a big X marking the spot where it is hidden. As far as swag, she only wants to find caches that are full of chocolate, donuts, diamonds, cute puppies, smelly bath stuff & lotions. She also says that she wouldn't getting gift certificates for an hour long massage. If anyone knows of a cache like this please let me know. I would really like to show my wife how much fun geocaching can really be.

Edited by HappyHardy

You can't make people like something. That goes for geocaching, golfing, chocolate cake etc.

Either they're going to like it or not.

I've got friends that will go with me, they say they like it, but they never log their finds or go on their own.

I've got another friend who went as far as getting the geocaching app for her IPhone. She likes to hike, but I dare not even mention geocaching or she'll change her plans.

I tried to get my mother into it, but she just doens't 'get it'. My father, on the other hand, seems to like it, but isn't obsessive, he'll go once a week and log his find too.

The first cache I found I was so amazed and also hopping mad that there was this fun activity that nobody had told me about. I was hooked from day 1.

I don't think couples have to do everything together. It's fine to find a caching-buddy and let your wife go to the museum, as long as everybody's happy. I knew a couple who was very happily married. They would travel together, but when they did, he would hit the golf course while she hit the beach. They would spend their evenings together and were very happy with the arrangement.