A geocache carried around by it's owner?

River Song

I apologise in advance if this is public knowledge or already covered somewhere in the forum, but my search!fu seems to be failing me at finding it so far :laughing:

Is it possible to make a "mobile" geocache that is carried around?

I'm going to a sci-fi convention in October and I was wanting to create a sci-fi themed cache to "carry" around with myself while I'm there. I'd post a description of something easily identifiable so that people could find me, and then log the geocoins and travel bugs I'd be carrying.

It doesn't seem to count as an "event cache" since it's not specifically for cachers, so I'm wondering whether it's even possible to create a cache like this, and how I might list it?

I would de-activate it after the convention, and then re-activate it for the next convention, and so on.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edited by River Song

They seem to be few and far between - caches which are allowed to move about, having their home coordinates change frequently.

I encountered two of them at GeoWoodstock VIII. Each time they move a GC volunteer reviewer is changing where they are currently located. Don't expect it to be very easy to start one.

afaik moving caches are not allowed anymore

there are a few left though

i have one on my watchlist that has made it very close to where i live, its listed as a multi

this will answer your question

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

now, since the same guidelines state that "First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches.", you can contact the reviewer in your area and ask them

Edited by t4e

What you want is suggested above. A trackable that people can discover.

The essence of geocaching is coordinates. Quote below from the Guidelines that Apply to All Cache Types

the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Even the few remaining moving caches are supposed to be moved, placed, and new coordinates provided so people can use gps to find them. Many specifically request that they not be carried to events.

For a while, people brought their caches to events, so people could "find" them there. This practice was called "pocket caches". It was tolerated for a while by Groundspeak, but the current policy would be to archive and lock any listing used in this way. The cache supposed to remain at the posted coordinates.

They seem to be few and far between - caches which are allowed to move about, having their home coordinates change frequently.

I encountered two of them at GeoWoodstock VIII. Each time they move a GC volunteer reviewer is changing where they are currently located. Don't expect it to be very easy to start one.

Really, I encountered a moving cache which I moved from West Hills, CA to Northridge, Ca. A week later the canyon, and the cache was devastated by wildfire. This was 2009 and the last coordinate update was 2007 and had it in Folsom, CA. The northern California reviewer that sports the silver flame proof suit, archived it.

There are two cache types that are Grandfathered into the system. Moving caches and Pocket caches. Your idea matches a pocket cache, which is no longer allowed. A pocket cache is one that you keep in your pocket and bring to events so others can sign the log and increase their smiley count.

There are two cache types that are Grandfathered into the system. Moving caches and Pocket caches. Your idea matches a pocket cache, which is no longer allowed. A pocket cache is one that you keep in your pocket and bring to events so others can sign the log and increase their smiley count.

Not really. Pocket caches are not grandfathered. Just look at the guidelines. They are not even mentioned. Pocket caches were something at events that were at that one event only. You logged additional attended logs on the event if you found one. They did not go from event to event. They were an interesting fad, but are frowned upon and no longer done at events. After all, you cannot attend a pocket cache.

What you want is suggested above. A trackable that people can discover.

The essence of geocaching is coordinates. Quote below from the Guidelines that Apply to All Cache Types

the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Even the few remaining moving caches are supposed to be moved, placed, and new coordinates provided so people can use gps to find them. Many specifically request that they not be carried to events.

For a while, people brought their caches to events, so people could "find" them there. This practice was called "pocket caches". It was tolerated for a while by Groundspeak, but the current policy would be to archive and lock any listing used in this way. The cache supposed to remain at the posted coordinates.

Yes. Some people in the thread have referred to this as a moving cache. It sounds more like a "pocket cache". There was never any such type, it was just an invention of "the numbers crowd" to carry caches to events, and have people log the find.

That being said, I know of a 2002 grandfathered moving cache which has been nothing but a pocket cache passed around at events from day one. There's obviously been an 8 year misinterpretation of the concept of the moving cache there, as there was in the Original post here and a couple of replies in this thread. There are hundreds of logs on this thing, most of them saying how great it is to find a grandfathered moving cache. :D

But ultimately, I suppose moving caches (which disappeared by 2003) being mistakenly used as a pocket cache was never a major issue.

As others have suggested, some kind of trackable may be the best option. A TB T-shirt, a TB sticker on your car or a personal geocoin that you can carry around with you.

I've seen and logged TBs on the back of cars whilst driving, and I carry a geocoin on my keys so any cachers I meet can log it.

Moving caches and pocket caches may not be allowed. You're apt to run right into the controversy. Check with your reviewer before hand to see if what you have in mind is acceptable.

A trackable is a good way to go. You can actually do a trackable up like a cache if you want-ask people to sign it- it's just logged as a trackable rather than a cache. I've seen people's dogs as trackables, people's cars as trackables, people as trackables- they all have/wear their trackable number. Don't know what you want as a sci-fi themed cache. You could do a sci-fi trackable- an inflatable alien, a toy flying saucer, an actual flying saucer, a cup and saucer with a toy alien... and have people discover it.

Edited by Luckless

IIRC back in the very early days there was a cacher that made his vehicle into a moving cache. He had put a GPSr on the vehicle and used cell phone based modem to relay the vehicles position to a computer. The cache page had a link to a web server that would give you the present location of the cache-vehicle. The cache itself was an ammo can bolted to the spare tire rack. That was a long time ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details. I am not sure how long the cache was active. I don't think it was very long.

A friend of mine has a cache where you have to find him to get the info for the trackable, which also has the cache coordinates. I don't know if this would still be allowed, though, because I think the current rules require you to be able to obtain the coordinates without contacting the owner.

I'm going to a sci-fi convention in October and I was wanting to create a sci-fi themed cache to "carry" around with myself while I'm there. I'd post a description of something easily identifiable so that people could find me, and then log the geocoins and travel bugs I'd be carrying.

It doesn't seem to count as an "event cache" since it's not specifically for cachers, so I'm wondering whether it's even possible to create a cache like this, and how I might list it?

I would de-activate it after the convention, and then re-activate it for the next convention, and so on.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Well, the mobile cache portion of this question has been resolved, but what about the "It doesn't seem to count as an 'event cache'" part? There was an event that took place recently near me that I looked forward to being a part of but did not have the time to make it. Converge on Columbus #3 It was an annual geocaching meet 'n' greet that was focused around a local convention, Comfest. People who came to be part of the convention went to the meet 'n' greet and met local cachers. Something to consider!

The coordinates never change in this cache But it moves on a daily basis.

That's not a geocache. It wouldn't be publishable under the current guidelines. I'm kind of surprised it even got published in 2002.

"The original coordinates are 3 miles from the Lion Gulch Trailhead, which is 8 miles south of Estes Park on Rt. 36. But they are just coordinates. A Hike is the cache.

"A hike with Tahosa or Denali41 is the requirement for the Cache.

"When you are ready to try for this Cache you will have to make a date that it can be done on. So contact Tahosa or Denali41 by EMail, and we will go a hiking!"

A hike is not a geocache.

Not really. Pocket caches are not grandfathered. Just look at the guidelines. They are not even mentioned. Pocket caches were something at events that were at that one event only. You logged additional attended logs on the event if you found one. They did not go from event to event. They were an interesting fad, but are frowned upon and no longer done at events. After all, you cannot attend a pocket cache.

There was also something called a "retirement card". The CO would archive a cache, then carry around the logbook allowing people to log "finds" on the cache after signing the logbook, even though the cache no longer existed. What I found surprising was the number of people who actually logged finds on these "caches". Anything for a smiley I guess.

Edited by briansnat

IIRC back in the very early days there was a cacher that made his vehicle into a moving cache. He had put a GPSr on the vehicle and used cell phone based modem to relay the vehicles position to a computer. The cache page had a link to a web server that would give you the present location of the cache-vehicle. The cache itself was an ammo can bolted to the spare tire rack. That was a long time ago and my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details. I am not sure how long the cache was active. I don't think it was very long.

I think that was Clayjar. I believe he did it on a road trip to Alaska.

That's not a geocache. It wouldn't be publishable under the current guidelines. I'm kind of surprised it even got published in 2002.

"The original coordinates are 3 miles from the Lion Gulch Trailhead, which is 8 miles south of Estes Park on Rt. 36. But they are just coordinates. A Hike is the cache.

"When you are ready to try for this Cache you will have to make a date that it can be done on. So contact Tahosa or Denali41 by EMail, and we will go a hiking!"

You've obviously never hiked with Tahosa... :(

That's gotta be painful when someone tries to leave a large trackable in this geocache... :(

I think that was Clayjar. I believe he did it on a road trip to Alaska.

The one I was thinking about predated Clayjar's by two plus years but that one is a fine example.

With today's wireless networks and gps enable smart phones a moving cache is technologically very doable but I am not sure it meets the core idea of geocaching. It is an interesting idea though.

ETA: Using an Android based phone and Google latitude you could basically have a moving cache that other android users could chase around. Again probably not compatible with the core ideas of geocaching.

Edited by mcb

I was thinking of making a moving cache attached to my jeep. Someone told me to make a regular cache and write on the page that if you found the cache on the jeep it would give you a smiley for the regular cache. Try that.

Slap a vehicle trackable magnet on it? Gotta find the trackable to find the cache?

I do have a sticker. I am going to bolt an ammo can to the front bumper.