Break In GeoCoin Theft

tobe4evr1

Help! Today I brought a bunch of geocoins with me to work to share with some potential geocachers. These coins included coins my daughter and I have collected over the past couple of years...from GW VII in Bell Buckle to numerous coin challenges throughout the state of Oregon....to the GPS Maze Adventure in Redding, Ca. And many other beautiful coins that are most likely irreplacable. After work I decided to stop and grab a cache on the way home. Biggest mistake I ever made. I parked along with about 10 other cars and headed to cache...upon my return most of the cars had been broken into. Windows broke trunks opened, etc. Everything gone! Immediately I thought big deal they got muy lunch bag and some clothes I was donating to Goodwill....then it dawned on me.....at the bottom of my backpack....were the prized geocoins that my family and I had worked so hard to gather and collect. I wanted to just collapse....just had nothing to say...speechless...my heart just sank. geocaching has become pretty much our families life support and this collection has meant so much to us. To have someone who it means so little to steal this from us...is just devastating. I know there there are worse things that could have happened....but we are just floored by this. I made the police report, called local pawn shops....will report to insurance....but as a coin collector you can imagine how this must feel. Here's the kicker......all coins unactivated. UGH!!!!

Please if anyone sees a large quantity of coins trying to be unloaded somewhere....eBay, Craiglist etc....we are located in the Eugene, Oregon area and the return (little hope) would mean the world to me, tobe4evr1 and my daughter, ukrainian princess. Please send us an email with any information or ideas.

Thanks for letting me ramble.....but I thought if anyone would be a good listener it would be my geocaching family.

Dana

tobe4evr1

Help! Today I brought a bunch of geocoins with me to work to share with some potential geocachers. These coins included coins my daughter and I have collected over the past couple of years...from GW VII in Bell Buckle to numerous coin challenges throughout the state of Oregon....to the GPS Maze Adventure in Redding, Ca. And many other beautiful coins that are most likely irreplacable. After work I decided to stop and grab a cache on the way home. Biggest mistake I ever made. I parked along with about 10 other cars and headed to cache...upon my return most of the cars had been broken into. Windows broke trunks opened, etc. Everything gone! Immediately I thought big deal they got muy lunch bag and some clothes I was donating to Goodwill....then it dawned on me.....at the bottom of my backpack....were the prized geocoins that my family and I had worked so hard to gather and collect. I wanted to just collapse....just had nothing to say...speechless...my heart just sank. geocaching has become pretty much our families life support and this collection has meant so much to us. To have someone who it means so little to steal this from us...is just devastating. I know there there are worse things that could have happened....but we are just floored by this. I made the police report, called local pawn shops....will report to insurance....but as a coin collector you can imagine how this must feel. Here's the kicker......all coins unactivated. UGH!!!!

Please if anyone sees a large quantity of coins trying to be unloaded somewhere....eBay, Craiglist etc....we are located in the Eugene, Oregon area and the return (little hope) would mean the world to me, tobe4evr1 and my daughter, ukrainian princess. Please send us an email with any information or ideas.

Thanks for letting me ramble.....but I thought if anyone would be a good listener it would be my geocaching family.

Dana

tobe4evr1

Dude that so sucks... amazing what this world has come too and how the bad apples keep being able to affect us all. Could you post a specific list ? I watch ebay all the time and they register in my brain so it could help to watch for them... Also there are people that would like to be able to help if we can and even though they are not the coins that you and your wife and daughter won or collected together, people in this hobby try to stick together huh... how is your daughter? i bet she took this hard..Anyway ....sometimes the only thing that can make the sadness and yucky-pukie- angry-throw-something and scream feeling go away is the feeling that others care and understand.

Edited by mc4some

The one very small silver lining in this is that each coin is serialized. This allows the police to enter those coins into a database of stolen items. Get the GC codes and give them to the police. In CA we have what we call a File Control Number (FCN). This FCN is a unique number that is assigned to that one item. I believe FCN's are nationwide because the database is too.

Like I said, its only a small silver lining

Also, I highly doubt you will ever see these on ebay or craigslist. They're simply not going to know what they are. This was a crime of opportunity and they are just looking to make a quick buck for dope. Check pawnshops in a 50 mile radius. Yes, 50. We frequently find things that far away from local thefts. Also, in CA pawn shops are required to record identification for all purchases. Hopefully your state is the same.

Edited by Prescott Patrol

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions....getting to work on replacing car window, dealing with insurance, etc. Then I will call a few more pawn shops to alert them to the possibility....a few I talked to yesterday were pretty supportive.

You hear these stories....but just never imagine it happening to you. Just a very strange feeling.

Thank you all! The geocaching world is a wonderful place to be.

What a horrible violation.... my condolences for your loss. Bad enough to have your car broken into but then to take something that is pretty valueless to fence but of great sentimental value to you is insult on top of injury. Please email me your address and I will add the packets heading your way to jump start a new collection. :D

I'm awed by the geocaching world....it has helped me remember that there is still a lot of good out there! Many people have contacted me about sending me a coin or two....wow very generous folks out there! Even had a couple of wonderful cachers show up at my doorstep with a goodie box with coins, pins, wristbands and great geochat!

My daughter and I were an awe with this generous gesture!

Thank you everybody from Eugene, Oregon!