Co-ordinate error

Pharisee

Logged a DNF on a new(ish) local cache yesterday. The nearest I could get to the cache page co-ordinates was 67ft, according to my 60CSx (no tree cover). The cache location was the wrong side of someone's back garden fence. As I only had the co-ords in my GPSr, no hint or description, I had a brief poke about among the discarded dog poo bags and gave up. When I got home and checked the co-ords on Google Earth, the cache was apparently on the roof of a nearby house. I mentioned this in my DNF log and in due course had an email back from the cache setter explaining that they were "waiting for their GPSr to be delivered" and when it came, they would:- "pin point the coordinates to its direct place. I will update the coordinates then,put the proper co-ordinates on the cache page". Ye gods !!!

It does make a case for there being another field on the cache listing page:- "What instrument did you use to determine these co-ordinates?" even if it's just a text field that the reviewer can see. If someone puts "held wet finger up to the wind" they will know what to expect. <_<

Edited by Pharisee

Get used to it friends.

The more popular geocaching becomes then the more this type of thing will occur.

I have to lay a lot of the blame on gps phones too.

I've laid a couple using my phone, but used the mapping software to clarify my position.

This isn't so hard in town, but out in the sticks it would be impossible.

I rarely gor fo an FTF or an early find unless I know the cache setter has been around for a while.

Saves a lot of hardship.

<_<

Don't group all phones in one inaccurate heap.

Agreed - though I suspect the original comment was a generalization, rather than specific. I use a basic Nokia 5230 with the Trimble Geocache Navigator app, and although I've not hidden any caches, the accuracy on the finds I've done has been absolutely spot-on (down to 3-6 ft in most cases) and seems to perform equally as well in woodland.

Relying on maps/satellite imagery etc alone maybe fine for hunting the beasties, but for placement - even with my limited experience, doesn't seem like a good idea.

Edited to add: Given the apparent accuracy of the inbuilt gps in its default mapping mode, I've no reason to suspect that setting caches and manually grabbing the co-ords from the map, wouldn't work just as well.

Edited by geobrian_w

Logged a DNF on a new(ish) local cache yesterday. The nearest I could get to the cache page co-ordinates was 67ft, according to my 60CSx (no tree cover). The cache location was the wrong side of someone's back garden fence. As I only had the co-ords in my GPSr, no hint or description, I had a brief poke about among the discarded dog poo bags and gave up. When I got home and checked the co-ords on Google Earth, the cache was apparently on the roof of a nearby house. I mentioned this in my DNF log and in due course had an email back from the cache setter explaining that they were "waiting for their GPSr to be delivered" and when it came, they would:- "pin point the coordinates to its direct place. I will update the coordinates then,put the proper co-ordinates on the cache page". Ye gods !!!

It does make a case for there being another field on the cache listing page:- "What instrument did you use to determine these co-ordinates?" even if it's just a text field that the reviewer can see. If someone puts "held wet finger up to the wind" they will know what to expect. :huh:

John,

Must be a new "micro" in a dog poo bag series, but not in an ivy covered tree, but not in a supermarket car park and but not a magnetic nano cache :):D

Seen it myself, arrive at GZ, then search everything within 100" (sorry 30m) to find NOTHING!!!

I have a BB Storm, 60Csx and a Colorado 300, they are all within about 10' (3m) of each other.

I'm going to set a nice "Micro Revenge Cache" soon, so you might enjoy this one :laughing:

Cheers

Nick

That's nothing. A couple of us doing some caches set for an event managed to find a micro in an ivy covered tree in a wood that was over 250ft out. The cache setter is a friend, so I can't be too rude :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5f-207654e642bb

Moral of the story: Never set a cache with an iPhone. I'm an apple fanboi and love my iPhone, but it's no good for accurate co-ords, and rubbish under tree cover.

That's nothing. A couple of us doing some caches set for an event managed to find a micro in an ivy covered tree in a wood that was over 250ft out. The cache setter is a friend, so I can't be too rude :huh:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5f-207654e642bb

Moral of the story: Never set a cache with an iPhone. I'm an apple fanboi and love my iPhone, but it's no good for accurate co-ords, and rubbish under tree cover.

Did you link to the right cache there? :laughing: Only that one seems to have been archived due to the way being blocked by new fencing.

MrsB :)

There are some averaging applications for phones.. so far the one i have been playing with has been quite good.

i havent' placed any yet, but with the other gpsr in my hand, i get good numbers averaging with this app on my phone. neither of my stand alone units will average as some of the newer units will so i'm using the phone app.

i haven't had my smart phone very long, but i'm sure i will be able to get good coords with it when i get some practice.

good coords are a must for this game..

New Cacher:

I placed my first cache and entered the coordinates on the website but the map says that it is in a different state.... what am I doing wrong? And what does it take to get the cache published?

Cacher2:

How did you acquire/generate the coordinates? Is the Format HDDDMM.mmm? Is the Datum WGS84?

Cacher3:

What are you doing wrong? Trying to hide a cache before you have demonstrated that you know how to find a few first. Unless you are a GPS expert, there are many mistakes you can make when attempting to mark accurate coordinates for use on this website. Finding caches will force you to educate yourself so you will learn how to do it properly. Then come back and ask how to get a cache published.

New Cacher:

I use the Motion X GPS app on my Iphone.

Taken from the US side of the forums...

Original OP's name removed! :D

Been following this with a bit of interest as I've recently placed my first cache. However the guidance is to approach the cache from different directions and take a reading, then look at them all and discount any wild figures etc to get a better 'average'

GPS devices are 'probably' a bit more accurate than smartphones but I would imaging the 'approach from different directions' method would apply to whatever you use to set the co ords.

Anyway, my cache was published on Monday and first find was yesterday so I suspect the co ords are good.

Did one the other day where the coordinates were for the middle of a busy junction. The clue was specific and made it obvious where the cache would be. Only thing was it wasn't where it should have been. It was about 20 ft to the left. :)

Ive had several DNF's posted from obvious phone users adamant that the cache has gone, next day someone else finds it. :( Also a lot of these phone cachers seem to drop away when they cant find many caches, probably due to inaccurate phones. - They are just using the free(ish) capabilities of the phone. :P

Did one the other day where the coordinates were for the middle of a busy junction. The clue was specific and made it obvious where the cache would be. Only thing was it wasn't where it should have been. It was about 20 ft to the left. :(

Heck... a 20ft discrepancy is not bad accuracy. It's generally accepted that 'real' GPSs may only be accurate to within 20 - 30 ft. Bear in mind that if the cache setter's co-ordinates are 10 foot 'off' and your own GPS is 10 ft 'off' then you can easily be 20ft from the cache. When searching, we generally reckon that anything within 30ft is within the normally acceptable range - although many co-ords (taken in ideal conditions, and averaged out well) appear to be 'spot on'.

MrsB

It's just laziness on behalf of the cache placer. Even if your GPS is a bit off it's not difficult when placing a cache to fill in the form and then use the google satellite images to confirm that the coordinates at least roughly correspond to where you've put your cache!

There is *no* excuse for the coorindates being way out, even if your GPS receiver is the worst in the world!

It's just laziness on behalf of the cache placer. Even if your GPS is a bit off it's not difficult when placing a cache to fill in the form and then use the google satellite images to confirm that the coordinates at least roughly correspond to where you've put your cache!

actually there's a good chance that the google imagery is badly aligned in the particular area of the cache, in which case using google to 'improve' the coordinates will make things actually worse.