Magallan Explorist GC and Mac Compatibility

I know this must have been discussed before, but search doesn't seem to come up with anything. I was reading some reviews of my new Magellan Explorist GC tonight and couldn't help but notice a few people who seemed unable to move caches onto their GC or simply said it was "not compatible". I have to disagree. I run my GPX files through a Macbook running OS 10.5 Leopard and haven't had a problem. I wonder if the issue is 10.6 Snow Leopard or possibly older OS version 10.4 or older?

My gut thought was that maybe some just didn't know the hoops to jump through to get from email to caching. In order to shed some light I thought I'd share my method:

- Turn on your Explorist GC and let it boot up

- Plug the GC into your Mac using the USB cable

- Wait a moment or two until the "Magellan" drive icon shows up on your desktop

- Download the zipped GPX from geocaching.com, saving it to your to your desktop (so it is easy to find)

- Double click the zip file and choose to expand it to your desktop (again, so it is easy to find)

- Double click the expanded GPX file folder to show its contents

- Double click on the Magellan icon (which is the internal hard drive on your GC)

- Double click the "geocaches" folder to open it (you'll see the original GPX file containing the pre-loaded - caches which come with the unit)

- Return to the folder with the new GPX files you want to load. Select both folders and copy them

- Return to the "geocaches" folder in the Magellan. Paste the copied GPX files into that folder

- Close all folders

- Drag the Magellan icon into the toolbar "eject" icon

- Wait a moment for the unit to un-dock (the "Magellan" icon will disappear from your desktop)

- Unplug the unit from your Mac

- Choose "geocaches" from your unit's menu

- You should see the downloded caches. If not, you can do a search for them

- Once found, you can now delete the original zip file if you wish, and save the unzipped GPX files or delete them as you like

I hope this helps!

Wow I am so glad I found this post. I just purchased the Explorist GC and didn't know its limits with Mac's. I was hoping to find some way to use this device but I purchased it and immediately left for Belize. With your detail I was able to copy the files and transfer them to the handheld. I will be exploring in the morning with your assistance. Thank You for making my vacation even better than I had planned!

You mentioned something about email. Is there a way to upload from email to the unit?

Wow I am so glad I found this post. I just purchased the Explorist GC and didn't know its limits with Mac's. I was hoping to find some way to use this device but I purchased it and immediately left for Belize. With your detail I was able to copy the files and transfer them to the handheld. I will be exploring in the morning with your assistance. Thank You for making my vacation even better than I had planned!

You mentioned something about email. Is there a way to upload from email to the unit?

Glad I could help! I didn't really see these steps as limitations, especially if you are used to using external hard drives. But, everyone's proficiency level is different.

There is no way to upload via email. To upload, I do this:

- Go to your "your profile" (link is under your username on the main page after you log on)

- Scroll down to the "Field Notes" section (in the column on the right, under your user name)

- Click "Access Field Notes" link

- The bottom choice if for the Magellan Explorist GC

- It will tell you to click the link.

- Click the Magellan tab on the following page

- Further step-by-step instructions will be given from there. It's super easy!

Paperless caching can't be easier than this. Once you do it a few times you can do it in your sleep practically.

Enjoy your trip! I wish we were there.

Edited by TeamSenavinin!

How are Mac people installing firmware updates?? Have to go on a Windows box?

I didn't even try to use my Mac for this. As far as I know the Magellan website won't work. I just used my work laptop (Vista PC) and did the upgrade. Took just a few minutes and no issues at all. Mmmm... firmware v1.4 goodness! Good luck.

TeamSenavinin, thanks for the tips! Up til now I've mainly used a PC to download caches to my Magellan Explorist GC, but your instructions convinced me to try using a Mac again. It works, but I do see one (minor?) issue each time I do this and I wonder if it happens to anyone else:

When I eject the Magellan icon on the Mac, it goes away briefly and then comes right back again. This happens regardless of whether I drag the icon to the trash or use Eject in the Finder. If I just unplug the Magellan, then I get an error "The disk was not ejected properly..." I've tried this a couple of times in the past (just copying a single GPX file), even after rebooting the Mac and all, and I've always see the same issue. Any idea how to make the Magellan Explorist GC eject cleanly? I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.4. Thanks!

TeamSenavinin, thanks for the tips! Up til now I've mainly used a PC to download caches to my Magellan Explorist GC, but your instructions convinced me to try using a Mac again. It works, but I do see one (minor?) issue each time I do this and I wonder if it happens to anyone else:

When I eject the Magellan icon on the Mac, it goes away briefly and then comes right back again. This happens regardless of whether I drag the icon to the trash or use Eject in the Finder. If I just unplug the Magellan, then I get an error "The disk was not ejected properly..." I've tried this a couple of times in the past (just copying a single GPX file), even after rebooting the Mac and all, and I've always see the same issue. Any idea how to make the Magellan Explorist GC eject cleanly? I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.4. Thanks!

You are very welcome :) I too have the problem you described. In addition, my iPhoto wants to open every time I plug in, as it wants to "sync" with my GC. I just eject once and pull the USB cable. I wince a little when I get the error message, but I have had no problems at all with the GC afterwards. I am using OS 10.5.8 on my Macbook.

You are very welcome :rolleyes: I too have the problem you described. In addition, my iPhoto wants to open every time I plug in, as it wants to "sync" with my GC. I just eject once and pull the USB cable. I wince a little when I get the error message, but I have had no problems at all with the GC afterwards. I am using OS 10.5.8 on my Macbook.

Good to know. At least now when I wince, I know I'm in good company. :)

It's a defect in Magellan's firmware. As long as you don't have any pending writes to the device (e.g. don't do it seconds after writing a zigabyte of maps to the unit...) you'll probably be OK.

You should definitely bug Magellan about it and let them know that bad software that "only" affects Mac users is not cool.

I know this must have been discussed before, but search doesn't seem to come up with anything. I was reading some reviews of my new Magellan Explorist GC tonight and couldn't help but notice a few people who seemed unable to move caches onto their GC or simply said it was "not compatible". I have to disagree. I run my GPX files through a Macbook running OS 10.5 Leopard and haven't had a problem. I wonder if the issue is 10.6 Snow Leopard or possibly older OS version 10.4 or older?

My gut thought was that maybe some just didn't know the hoops to jump through to get from email to caching. In order to shed some light I thought I'd share my method:

- Download the zipped GPX from geocaching.com, saving it to your to your desktop (so it is easy to find)

- Double click the zip file and choose to expand it to your desktop (again, so it is easy to find)

- Double click on the Magellan icon (which is the internal hard drive on your GC)

- Double click the "geocaches" folder to open it (you'll see the original GPX file containing the pre-loaded - caches which come with the unit)

- Return to the folder with the new GPX files you want to load. Select both folders and copy them

- Return to the "geocaches" folder in the Magellan. Paste the copied GPX files into that folder

- Close all folders

- Wait a moment for the unit to un-dock (the "Magellan" icon will disappear from your desktop)

- Once found, you can now delete the original zip file if you wish, and save the unzipped GPX files or delete them as you like

I hope this helps!

I just received my eXplorist GC & I notice, "Download the zipped GPX from geocaching.com" . I see the GPX file button but is grayed out. So that doesn't work. I download the LOC waypoint file & put that into the GC waypoint folder & it works but there is no GPX file to download.

I use the new iMac i7 Snow Leopard & the MacBook Pro Leopard.

Thanks for this whole thread! I am considering buying the Explorist GC after having used my iPhone 3GS since starting caching a few months ago and wasn't sure if it would work at all with my MacBook. Are all of you who are using the handset pleased with it? How is its sensitivity under tree cover?

I just got an explorist gc and am really having a hard time getting my caches on it via my Mac running os 10.5.8. I have tried it singly via the browser plug in but it never recognizes it and keeps insisting it is not installed. I have tried dragging the gpx files from queries straight into the geocaches folder on the explorist...nothing. I was reading the post regarding this issue but I had one question. It says:

-Double click the zip file and choose to expand it to your desktop (again, so it is easy to find)

- Double click the expanded GPX file folder to show its contents.

To show the contents you must use a program. Which program are you using?

Thanks,

Susan

No, it's not a Snow Leopard thing. They work fine on 10.6. The people saying it's "not compatible" just can't be bothered to spend a few minutes learning how it works.

The only thing you really can't do with a GC on a Mac today that you can do on Windows is install firmware updates.

Please, I have spent hours on this and I am not a newbie. I wish you were here with me to share in my frustration with this units incompatibility.

I have a mac os 10.5.8 and purchased this product. I am not naive to computers or geocaching but I must say that this is the most frustrating experience I have had in a long time. I downloaded the manual from Magellan website and followed directions to a tee. I have tried dragging and dropping single gpx files and pocket query gpx files from geocaching.com (while they show up on the unit when it is connected and visable on my desktop, when disconnected there is nothing there), I have tried using the explorist browser plug in and geocaching.com (which is consistantly not recognized after installation), I have tried several different programs to upload waypoints (gps babel, mac caching, mac gps pro). Nothing works. It REALLY shouldn't be this difficult.

I have spent nearly two days trying to get this junk unit to work and I have come to the conclusion that this thing is a piece of crap. I would never recommend this for anyone. First I was unable to move caches to the unit via my mac. I am not stupid, have been geocaching for years and am computer savy. In the past I have used Garmin and treo for paperless caching. Time consuming though so I thought this little unit would fit the bill. LOL. I updated the unit via my pc with the Magellan update and now it is stuck in and endless loop. I cannot do anything with it despite resetting and every type of restart imaginable. Gosh, I am so frustrated with this thing!

Sorry that you're frustrated, but you didn't provide enough details for anyone to actually help you. I'm the author of one of the titles you mention, and I don't need it for this use. I just plugged a GC into my iMac, dragged a GPX file to it with Finder, ejected the volume, and confirmed it appeared on the unit. Total time was under 90 seconds, most of which was spent waiting for the unit to boot.

It just works. Really.

Sorry that you're frustrated, but you didn't provide enough details for anyone to actually help you. I'm the author of one of the titles you mention, and I don't need it for this use. I just plugged a GC into my iMac, dragged a GPX file to it with Finder, ejected the volume, and confirmed it appeared on the unit. Total time was under 90 seconds, most of which was spent waiting for the unit to boot.

It just works. Really.

Thanks for your reply. The unit now is on an endless and unstoppable loop upon start up. I have reset, removed batteries, etc. I have tried to use it with my PC and still it does not work, It is a lemon and I am returning it.

It's a defect in Magellan's firmware. As long as you don't have any pending writes to the device (e.g. don't do it seconds after writing a zigabyte of maps to the unit...) you'll probably be OK.

You should definitely bug Magellan about it and let them know that bad software that "only" affects Mac users is not cool.

I haven't had trouble loading files to my Magellan GC Explorist, but I've had the same problem others have experienced with ejecting it safely. As you suggested, I contacted Magellan customer support and their response is pasted below:

Technically, the problem is may due to the compatibility of the Explorist GC unit to your Macintosh computer. Because currently, our products and software are Windows compatible only and is not recommended to be used in Mac operating systems.

Should you require further assistance about this or any other concerns with your Magellan unit please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledge base (www.magellangps.com).

Thank you for choosing Magellan and have a great day!

Yours truly,

Engel (AM 20165)

Magellan Technical Support

How frustrating that a company won't take steps to support MAC users! I'll be looking to return my Magellan and find a manufacturer that will.

Edited by sharimck

An update on this topic: after expressing my frustration for not supporting MAC users, I got this reply from Magellan customer service:

This email is in reference to our previous response to your issue.

We apologize for the confusion but we have confirmed that your unit is Mac compatible and you can use the Magellan communicator for Mac computers to connect the GPS. You can get this software from our website at http://www.magellangps.com/Magellan-Communicator-for-Mac/

For your issue, please make sure that you have version 10.6.2 Mac OS version or higher. You can turn off the unit while connected to the computer to eject it from the computer system.

An update on this topic: after expressing my frustration for not supporting MAC users, I got this reply from Magellan customer service:

We apologize for the confusion but we have confirmed that your unit is Mac compatible and you can use the Magellan communicator for Mac computers to connect the GPS. You can get this software from our website at http://www.magellangps.com/Magellan-Communicator-for-Mac/

For your issue, please make sure that you have version 10.6.2 Mac OS version or higher. You can turn off the unit while connected to the computer to eject it from the computer system.

So, besides buying the unit one must purchase a new OS if your MAC is older than a year and a half. So cool, so Mac user friendly...NOT

We apologize for the confusion but we have confirmed that your unit is Mac compatible and you can use the Magellan communicator for Mac computers to connect the GPS. You can get this software from our website at http://www.magellang...icator-for-Mac/

Turning the unit off while connected to the computer can potentially leave files with pending writes corrupted. File corruption is bad. The software above won't change that.

The product manager of that line has confirmed it's a bug and it should be fixed.

So, besides buying the unit one must purchase a new OS if your MAC is older than a year and a half. So cool, so Mac user friendly...NOT

As a software developer, I see their point. 10.6 already has 2x the market share of 10.5. [ Reference: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10 ] The number of 10.5 users won't grow. The only obstacle for a viable Mac to upgrade is $29 - hardly a large hurdle. (I'm assuming PPC isn't your objection as they're all way older than a year and a half old and is being dropped from most Mac software these days.)

Since this is Magellan's first foray into Mac-land (yay!) I'm finding it hard to encourage they roam around on Craigslist to find pre Snow Leopard systems and spend development time there. My guess is that it probably works, but isn't supported, so if it doesn't work and you call or email them, they reserve the right to shrug their shoulders. It's also possible that they actually did try it and they need, say, a fix to the USB system that Apple isn't backporting to the older OS release.

- Close all folders

I hope this helps!

i hear you cant update the magellan gc from a mac.

I have spent nearly two days trying to get this junk unit to work and I have come to the conclusion that this thing is a piece of crap. I would never recommend this for anyone. First I was unable to move caches to the unit via my mac. I am not stupid, have been geocaching for years and am computer savy. In the past I have used Garmin and treo for paperless caching. Time consuming though so I thought this little unit would fit the bill. LOL. I updated the unit via my pc with the Magellan update and now it is stuck in and endless loop. I cannot do anything with it despite resetting and every type of restart imaginable. Gosh, I am so frustrated with this thing!

this is exactly my problem did anyone figure out if this is a unit problem computer problem or faulty equipment!! need help PLEASSSSE so frustrating.

It just works. Really.

Thanks for your reply. The unit now is on an endless and unstoppable loop upon start up. I have reset, removed batteries, etc. I have tried to use it with my PC and still it does not work, It is a lemon and I am returning it.

You didn't by chance return that unit to REI Sacramento. I picked up a unit with that same problem at their used gear sale. I had to do the trick of plugging it into the USB and holding the joystick up, while pressing the menu and power button at the same time to force it into disk mode. I updated the firmware from 1.0 to 1.6 using my Windows PC and it now works like a charm. I've been loading GPX files and uploading my logs on my Macbook without issues. It's a real nice unit.

After trying for most of the day to find a solution... I finally found this. Saving the GPX and then dragging it into the folder works.

Also, mine ejects and pops right back. I hit eject and unplug quickly.

Thank you so much Team Senavinin for the step by step, I was going to return the GPS.

After trying for most of the day to find a solution... I finally found this. Saving the GPX and then dragging it into the folder works.

Also, mine ejects and pops right back. I hit eject and unplug quickly.

Thank you so much Team Senavinin for the step by step, I was going to return the GPS.

i am thoroughly confused still....whih gpx file did you save?

WOW, i bought the GC at a steep discount recently cause it was slightly used. Was pretty excited, tried to load some caches and realized it was not as easy as I had hoped it would be. Immediately googled and found this forum (THANKS EVERYONE for the interesting reading). Still some of the steps from TeamSenavinin threw me. I noticed another post that said you needed software to open the gpx file and requested advice, which was the biggest problem I seemed to have. I dont think anyone answered so thats why I'm posting. I put the darned the away the other day and didnt look at it again until today. I thought I would try once again. I carefully reread the directions from the Team but this time after saving the folder to my desktop (named something like 9312345) I double clicked it and stopped. Instead of trying to expand it further, I just opened the Magellan drive, double clicked the geocaches folder, highlighted both gpx files from the gpx folder, rt clicked, copied, pasted, ejected and they were there! It was a personal problem, I couldnt get past not being able to open those folders before and gave up. Skip it if need be and just paste em. Hope this helps anyone else too. And thanks again to TeamS for providing the basics. I'd have been getting out the .44 before much longer to end the sad (once returned and now disappointing the next purchaser) life of my Magellan GC if it weren't for you guys.

I'm having troubles as well.

can you clarify where or what exactly to download.

The original poster is referring to a pocket query, in which your filtered search returns multiple geocaches in a single .gpx file. These are e-mailed to you, but also can be downloaded from your pocket query list.