Sock Puppets

The primary reason for my posts was that the analogy to reviewers was off topic. The recent posts have taken the thread even further off topic.

This thread is about using a secondary account to hide geocaches. Last warning to return to the topic. Thanks.

but actions, unjustified for that matter, speak louder than words

i agree with dwlover and with all due respect this is overmoderating at its finest, in forums everywhere things go off topic but i have never seen the forum staff being so uptight about staying on subject, not to the point of issuing warnings, closing threads etc

The primary reason for my posts was that the analogy to reviewers was off topic. The recent posts have taken the thread even further off topic.

This thread is about using a secondary account to hide geocaches. Last warning to return to the topic. Thanks.

but actions, unjustified for that matter, speak louder than words

i agree with dwlover and with all due respect this is overmoderating at its finest, in forums everywhere things go off topic but i have never seen the forum staff being so uptight about staying on subject, not to the point of issuing warnings, closing threads etc

obvious_troll.preview.jpg

Over here I know of several "sock puppet accounts" used to set some long series of caches - but let's just call them "alternative accounts", to avoid further controversy and misunderstandings.

I'm told that one of the reasons for doing this is to simplify maintenance for a long series: All the logs for the series go to a separate, completely different email address where they can be checked from one folder. Issues are noted, Needs Maintenance are noted, without having to sift through loads of other logs coming in from caches elsewhere.

I don't know if our reviewers know who's behind all the alternative accounts but I suspect they know most of them.

MrsB

Over here I know of several "sock puppet accounts" used to set some long series of caches - but let's just call them "alternative accounts", to avoid further controversy and misunderstandings.

I'm told that one of the reasons for doing this is to simplify maintenance for a long series: All the logs for the series go to a separate, completely different email address where they can be checked from one folder. Issues are noted, Needs Maintenance are noted, without having to sift through loads of other logs coming in from caches elsewhere.

I don't know if our reviewers know who's behind all the alternative accounts but I suspect they know most of them.

MrsB

Yes, there are some around here as well. In a way, I think they are kind of fun to be honest. There's a group of cachers for example, who have created a sock account for their group and the local cachers have fun guessing who the cachers are in the group, and the hides are quality and fun, including some puzzles that are really interesting.

To me, that's a positive example of a sock account being used to hide caches. I have a feeling the reviewers must know about it since the group has so many hides.

MrsB

Yes, there are some around here as well. In a way, I think they are kind of fun to be honest. There's a group of cachers for example, who have created a sock account for their group and the local cachers have fun guessing who the cachers are in the group, and the hides are quality and fun, including some puzzles that are really interesting.

To me, that's a positive example of a sock account being used to hide caches. I have a feeling the reviewers must know about it since the group has so many hides.

I would bet they do.

It does sound like a fun twist to the game.

I am working on a very special geocache series that will go along with some guerrilla art that Ive done around my city. It has been very well recieved and even made the local news once but it is completely anonymous. Im hoping to keep that anonymity up especially with my caching friends but If they see it as a cahce by me then I will be linked to it. So is it EVER okay to have a sock puppet account (for example if your local reviewer knows its you) or wilI have to give up the idea or give up my identity?

I want to know more about the 'guerrilla art'. Even if people like it, if it is illegal, I don't think you should be including it in a cache.

I am working on a very special geocache series that will go along with some guerrilla art that Ive done around my city. It has been very well recieved and even made the local news once but it is completely anonymous. Im hoping to keep that anonymity up especially with my caching friends but If they see it as a cahce by me then I will be linked to it. So is it EVER okay to have a sock puppet account (for example if your local reviewer knows its you) or wilI have to give up the idea or give up my identity?

I want to know more about the 'guerrilla art'. Even if people like it, if it is illegal, I don't think you should be including it in a cache.

It sounds illegal to me. Do the owners/managers of the location of this art know it is there? Did they authorize it? If not it is vandalism.

I'm guessing that by "guerrilla art" you're referring to unauthorized graffiti. It's possible the local reviewer might have concerns about linking geocaching with an illegal activity. Maybe, maybe not. If authorized art, that could be an interesting series.

I suppose that depends on your definition of graffiti. Some people believe that billboards are graffiti. Without giving too much away in the event people in my area are in these forums, I can tell you that it does not destroy ANY property and can EASILY be removed without ANY damage to the location.

However you spin it to justify to yourself that it is OK is realy irrelevent. If it is illegal, it shouldn't be part of a geocache listed on a commercial website.

This 'justifying' buisness is not an insult to you. We all do it, be it j-walking, speeding, downloading movies, going into a park after closing, almost everyone has rules they are willing to break. You just can't do it as part of listing a geocache on Geocaching.com