Giant Cache - Need input

I have come upon a very wonderful cache container. It is large and has two comparments. One on the top and one on the bottom. Both can be locked. I know exactly where it is going to go and it will make a wonderful TB Hotel. My question to the users here is how would you personally set it up? Would you do it as a multi or a puzzle cache? I haven't done either but am debating. I will include pics below. Thanks in advance.

giantgc01.jpg

How I transported it. I didn't want to get dirt and spiders in my SUV

giantgc03.jpg

Before I gutted it and cleaned it up.

giantgc04.jpg

Exterior before I cleaned it.

giantgc05.jpg

Interior

giantgc06.jpg

Interior with back off

giantgc07.jpg

Interior with back off.

And what is better than one?

Two!

giantgc08.jpg

WOW...

Very impressive

i agree with M.TEX, traditional

with a container that large i see problems occuring, im not sure where you are but find a nice good hiding spot away from muggles for that, and also travel bugs may not be the only thing hanging out in there. (though it does seem pretty sealed

either way, its one of those caches i would esspecially like and remember

EDIT: and i like the one on the left best

Edited by jaydeadheader

BTW

I was thinking if you place this cache in public you shoul make it HEAVY . ( BTW VERY VERY HEAVY )

If you place in private land , than you can do what ever you want to ancor....

maybe some other paint job IF you want to bland with some other stuff around and protect from wheater...

So , just let us know what you have in mind.

M.TEX

BTW

I was thinking if you place this cache in public you shoul make it HEAVY . ( BTW VERY VERY HEAVY )

If you place in private land , than you can do what ever you want to ancor....

maybe some other paint job IF you want to bland with some other stuff around and protect from wheater...

So , just let us know what you have in mind.

M.TEX

Unless that thing was in some obscure place where it obviously didn't belong, I would never open it.

Also, make sure the cache message is VERY clearly posted on the inside of the doors.

You could have a great TB hotel here. But I agree with HH242's comment. Cache containers that look like electrical cabinets always make me cringe a bit. I'd hate to lose my telephone or internet service because someone started poking around in a real junction box down the road, thinking there was a cache inside. Worse yet would be if someone opened a live transformer or some such for the same reason, and was severely hurt or killed.

I'd consider repainting it to make it clear it's not really some sort utility company's installation. I'd also think about putting a combination lock on it, with the combination published in the online listing, or in a previous stage.

One other suggestion - around here (Michigan), a cabinet like that would almost certainly start growing bees or hornet's nest, unless it's sealed watertight. If that applies to your area, think about including a box of moth balls in there to discourage this.

Also, make sure the cache message is VERY clearly posted on the inside of the doors.

You could have a great TB hotel here. But I agree with HH242's comment. Cache containers that look like electrical cabinets always make me cringe a bit. I'd hate to lose my telephone or internet service because someone started poking around in a real junction box down the road, thinking there was a cache inside. Worse yet would be if someone opened a live transformer or some such for the same reason, and was severely hurt or killed.

I know of a cache thats hidden in one of these. only thing inside other than the cache is a electric meter. nothing to open or get shocked by.

I'd make one of them an easy-to-get-to TB hotel and put a geocaching.com logo sticker near the opening handle.

If I found it I would closely inspect the outside but probably wouldn't open it if it was hidden in such a way that it looked like a real electrical panel. Add a geocaching logo or something visible that indicated it is the cache, no problem.

Or, make it look real and place it where it is completely improbable - out in the woods for example where it would make no sense for such a device to be located.

Actually I might do both - make one an easily accessible TB hotel and place the other way the heck out on a mountain top somewhere! It doesn't have to be about the hunt, it can (should?) be about the location, so if folks approaching ground zero see this one without a hunt, no problem.

Thank you all for the replies they are great. I am planning to put something on the outside to identify it as a cache. At least one thing will be to put the GC# on the outside in the same adhesive stickers you see in the third or fourth pic I posted. I was also considering placing a GC logo somewhere.

I haven't decided if I am going to repaint it or not. The existing paint adds to the urban camoflauge. I am puttng this where a lot of kids will be driving by (not hanging out at though) and I don't want to draw attentin to it.

I had already decided to make it a TB hotel. It will be right off a freeway. I am even considering decoration the upper compartment like a hotel complete with beds.

I had never thought of bees and such so I will definitely be putting mothballs in there.

Or, make it look real and place it where it is completely improbable - out in the woods for example where it would make no sense for such a device to be located.

Unfortunately, 'doesn't make sense' doesn't always work. There is one cache near here beside a gravel road about 30 miles from the nearest town - large (3x4 foot) transformer box and a meter panel. It is real and live, there is nothing within miles that could use electricity, unless there is a hidden gov't installation underground. The cache is actually in the crotch of a tree about 10 feet from this equipment. It looked like a LOT of people had tried to open both equipment boxes. I'm glad noone was able to.

Edited by patned

I will make sure the cache is securely locked.

Second related question, is there a way to get the GC# assigned to the cache now while I work on it so I can apply the GC#'s to the outside now instead of doing later? I don't want to submit the cache and then archive it for a little bit while I apply the numbers. Then again, I don't know why I don't want to do that :laughing:

"archive" was a typo.....temp disable

Edited by Prescott Patrol

I will make sure the cache is securely locked.

Second related question, is there a way to get the GC# assigned to the cache now while I work on it so I can apply the GC#'s to the outside now instead of doing later? I don't want to submit the cache and then archive it for a little bit while I apply the numbers. Then again, I don't know why I don't want to do that :laughing:

Create the page and indicate that the cache isn't active yet. You might also want to include a reviewer note explaining why.

Wow that's a nice catch....

I would use it as traditional....and Tb Hotel

My 2 cents.

I agree, but since you have TWO, why not make one into an extented multi/puzzle, or even the end to a Challenge Cache. If you need help on creating one worthy, I'm sure you can find some help. Nice score. Maybe replece that Utility Productd Placard with something else?

Thank you all for the replies they are great. I am planning to put something on the outside to identify it as a cache. At least one thing will be to put the GC# on the outside in the same adhesive stickers you see in the third or fourth pic I posted. I was also considering placing a GC logo somewhere.

I haven't decided if I am going to repaint it or not. The existing paint adds to the urban camoflauge. I am puttng this where a lot of kids will be driving by (not hanging out at though) and I don't want to draw attentin to it.

I had already decided to make it a TB hotel. It will be right off a freeway. I am even considering decoration the upper compartment like a hotel complete with beds.

I had never thought of bees and such so I will definitely be putting mothballs in there.

That thing about the kids worries me a little...just the fact that it's new will attract attention to it, as well as the fact that people will see players visiting, and even having it open. The safest move might be to find someone who will give you permission to install it in a place than can be observed. I found one not too different that was attached to the back of an equiptment shed at a truckstop, and another in the side of a visitors center, both with permission. They were both wooden boxes, but the concept is the same.

I agree, but since you have TWO, why not make one into an extented multi/puzzle, or even the end to a Challenge Cache. If you need help on creating one worthy, I'm sure you can find some help. Nice score. Maybe replece that Utility Productd Placard with something else?

I agree too. I was also considering the complaints I hear about TB Hotels getting muggled en mass. I was thinking about making the top portion a regular cache and the bottom portion the TB Hotel 'room' as it were. This might prevent the cacher with no TB experience from casually taking one without knowing what to do with it and thus never moving it on. In other words, people interested in TB's would only need to go one extra step. However, this moves into the category of TB Hotels becoming TB Prisons. It also might appear to be a bit elitist and that is the last thing I want.

Do you now have a "View Listing" link at the top of the page? If so, click it.

Ummmm...yeah...well about that............

I closed the page out already thinking no GC# was assigned. I also never received an email and have no link to it through my profile. I may have to bother a reviewer about my incompetency.

That thing about the kids worries me a little...just the fact that it's new will attract attention to it, as well as the fact that people will see players visiting, and even having it open. The safest move might be to find someone who will give you permission to install it in a place than can be observed. I found one not too different that was attached to the back of an equiptment shed at a truckstop, and another in the side of a visitors center, both with permission. They were both wooden boxes, but the concept is the same.

This is at the entrance to a (PM's location to you) on private property. The kids will be driving by and not hanging out next to it.....usually. I don't want to put it on the property itself as it is gated off and not accessible during normal hours. Additionally, it could be perceived as promoting the business. Although....now that I think of it, it would make the cache that more secure and that more challenging to get if I do put it on the property.

Ummmm...yeah...well about that............

I closed the page out already thinking no GC# was assigned. I also never received an email and have no link to it through my profile. I may have to bother a reviewer about my incompetency.

In your account page, there's a spot to list "Your Caches pending approval" or something like that. If it's created, you can find it.

...If you need help on creating one worthy, I'm sure you can find some help. Nice score.

I'm always open to assistance. The only dumb question is one not asked.

I may even be able to get more :-)

One of the ones I mentioned is called "This Year's Muggle Proof Travel Bug Inn" or something...the current year at any given moment is the combination. A safe puzzle but still easy enough to solve.

[

I agree too. I was also considering the complaints I hear about TB Hotels getting muggled en mass. I was thinking about making the top portion a regular cache and the bottom portion the TB Hotel 'room' as it were. This might prevent the cacher with no TB experience from casually taking one without knowing what to do with it and thus never moving it on. In other words, people interested in TB's would only need to go one extra step. However, this moves into the category of TB Hotels becoming TB Prisons. It also might appear to be a bit elitist and that is the last thing I want.

Perhaps a link on your cache page to Groundspeak's Knowledge Base explaining what a Traveler is, and how to log them, would be beneficial.

I have the following text in my profile and have also put it in the description of my larger caches.

___

My belief is that I do not have the right to place special conditions on trackables, (Coins, TBs, Slugs, etc). These items are meant to travel from cache to cache. Too many times, a trackable gets stuck in a cache because the visitor feels that they have nothing equal to trade. This is unfair to the owner of the trackable that has invested the time, money and effort to put the thing out there so that it can travel, and that other Geocachers can enjoy it. These items were never intended to be traded. They were intended for Geocachers to take, enjoy and then move to another cache.

If you see a trackable in any of my caches, please feel free to grab it and move it along. If you have nothing to leave in it's place, that's fine.

___

Nice container...I have a couple of a similar nature.

You can't make it a TB hotel (or whatever).

Sorry, but just saying so on the cache page, and dropping 20 trackables you have collected from other caches won't make it so.

The community will determine if it is a viable TB drop site (or not), and overall security and accessibility will be the major factors.

Sorry, but just saying so on the cache page, and dropping 20 trackables you have collected from other caches won't make it so.

The community will determine if it is a viable TB drop site (or not), and overall security and accessibility will be the major factors.

Who said I was going to collect 20 trackables and do that? I figure if I build it they will come. If people don't want to drop their TB's off for some rest and relaxation that is up to them.

Is DESIGN as a TB Hotel a better term?

When I read this, I was taken aback a bit. Re-reading it, I understand exactly what your point is. There is a TB hotel within 1.5 miles of my home. It's been there for two tears an probably has had 10 bugs logged through. It simply is not accepted in this area.

As far as security, if the last log says that the bugs/coins are missing, I'm probably not going to leave someone else's property there.

Don J, I get where you are coming from. My intent is not to try to force people to drop TB's there. That is obviously...well....just silly. But I have to ask, what cache (TB hotel or not) doesn't have TB's disappear from it. That seems to be something that is more cacher related than cache related. However, if there is an unscrupulous cacher in the area I suppose no cache of any sort is safe. The only thing I can do is try.

I know of a cache thats hidden in one of these. only thing inside other than the cache is a electric meter. nothing to open or get shocked by.

My point was that if someone finds a cache in something like this, they may look in other similar cabinets that DO have the potential to shock them, or they may disrupt someone else's utilities. Either would give caching and cachers a black eye.

I'd make one of them an easy-to-get-to TB hotel and put a geocaching.com logo sticker near the opening handle.

I seem to recall reading about a cache in an official looking cabinet. The outside was labeled "Geocaching monitoring station - authorized personnel only" in bold letters. It was a classic case of hiding it in plain sight.

Make it the 2nd stage of a multi, add a combination lock with the combination in stage 1, and you could have a great TB hotel here that'll have cachers chuckling at the inside joke.

My point was that if someone finds a cache in something like this, they may look in other similar cabinets that DO have the potential to shock them, or they may disrupt someone else's utilities. Either would give caching and cachers a black eye.

Or a black thumb, Been there. done that!