My Geocaching Blog is ready!

hesslv

Not sure how the mods will react to the commercial content of that site, but we'll see.

Loading the page seemed to be resource intensive and I've never been a big fan of reading text with a photo-floating background.

The blog itself is very good.

Hey, you asked. <_<

edit: clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

Not sure how the mods will react to the commercial content of that site, but we'll see.

Loading the page seemed to be resource intensive and I've never been a big fan of reading text with a photo-floating background.

The blog content itself is very good.

Hey, you asked. <_<

edit: typo

Yeah, Rule #8. on the guidelines applies to this, but I figured since it was about geocaching and GPS I could at least try. If it does get locked I understand.

Thank you for your opinions.

I understand what you mean, with the background.

I thought it might be a bit "different" and went for it.

If I get anymore "complaints" I will look into changing it.

Thanks again!

Looks good! You put a lot work into that!

I agree it's a little difficult to read with that background. maybe you just need to change the color of the text or something.

I've done a bunch of caches around Las Vegas. Great place to get out and play!

Thank you!

I have put a lot of work into it, but it has payed off!

Making a list now of some adjustments I may make when

I get the chance, I'll add the text color/background of text to it.

Thanks!

I Like it....I see that you are showing a lot of pictures of the actual Cache location (Spoiler), just as long as you don't reference the GC# or let cachers know on your site which caches the are you should be fine.

Scubasonic

Thank you!

Yeah, I never mentioned any GC codes or the actual names of the cache.

I think that will work. I know I would be mad if I saw the location of caches

so I put that into thought when writing and left out the names and codes.

Thanks for the feedback!

My feedback:

Your articles are well written. Keep that up!

I personally don't mind the static background, but the translucent background needs to be a bit more opaque to make the text easier. Making the font a size larger would be good too.

I have added your blog feed to Google Reader so I will get updates as you post them. Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Dave

My feedback:

Your articles are well written. Keep that up!

I personally don't mind the static background, but the translucent background needs to be a bit more opaque to make the text easier. Making the font a size larger would be good too.

I have added your blog feed to Google Reader so I will get updates as you post them. Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Dave

Arg... double post monster got me again.

I'll take this opportunity to say that I also liked your mix of text and photos. It adds a more personal feel than just a blob of text would.

Thank you!

Seeing as how the text seems to be an issue, that will be priority number one.

Thank you, I personally can't stand walls of text so I added many photos to separate the articles.

I made the font size larger, hopefully large enough for everyone to read but still look good. Also added a background color behind all posts, instead of changing the opacity because I feel in the long run this will allow everybody to easily read it.

Let me know what you think!

I loved it. I enjoy reading about other peoples geocaching journeys and I especially enjoy seeing the age range. I cache with my children who range from 8 to 18 and then my neighbor who caches is in his 60's

Loved the pictures and the stories. Thanks for linking to your blog.

Liked the layout and pictures. I didn't read any of it because the text was just too difficult to read.

I'm going to address this problem ASAP.

Going to be playing with some different colors/backgrounds.

Thanks for the feedback!

Much better! I'm glad you kept the overall background. Good job.

I loved it. I enjoy reading about other peoples geocaching journeys and I especially enjoy seeing the age range. I cache with my children who range from 8 to 18 and then my neighbor who caches is in his 60's

Loved the pictures and the stories. Thanks for linking to your blog.

Thank you for your kind words!

It is amazing how such a wide variety of people have one thing in common: Geocaching!

I will be updating it as I do more trips, hopefully this 110 degree weather will begin to cool down and let me enjoy the outdoors!

Liked the layout and pictures. I didn't read any of it because the text was just too difficult to read.

I'm going to address this problem ASAP.

Going to be playing with some different colors/backgrounds.

Thanks for the feedback!

Much better! I'm glad you kept the overall background. Good job.

Thanks!

Yeah, I really didn't want to divert from the overall background, just make it easier for readers to read.

This was the overall best method.

Should have done this to begin with, but you learn as you go! <_<

Kudos to a teenager that can write properly!!! My english did kick though regarding keeping things in order. You repeatedly refer to your camelback at the beginning of a section, like it's a first and foremost item. The GPSr is listed 3rd where in my opinion it should be first since that's an integral part of geocaching. Shoes are vital too. The camelback takes 3rd in my list. Not everyone carries a backpack, including yourself, as shown in some of the pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Kudos to a teenager that can write properly!!!

I've just had a look at your blog and this was one of my first thoughts too. <_<

I'm no expert on blogs but to me it looks very good and your stories are well written. I wonder whether you're aware of the Online Geocacher ezine? You seem to enjoy writing and I bet they'd be pleased to have some material from you.

Well done. :laughing:

MrsB

Nicely done. I love blogging as well, and if the geocaching hobby takes off with me as I think it will, I will probably include some geocaching posts in my blog(s).

Your posts, so far, have a pretty good ratio of pics-to-text. Enough pics to keep it interesting, and enough text to tell a story, without a snore. <_< You should put a little warning about spoilers though, even if you're not saying the name/exact locale. Someone in your area could easily catch on and miss out on some of their own discovering. Just a thought. Good job though.

Kudos to a teenager that can write properly!!! My english did kick though regarding keeping things in order. You repeatedly refer to your camelback at the beginning of a section, like it's a first and foremost item. The GPSr is listed 3rd where in my opinion it should be first since that's an integral part of geocaching. Shoes are vital too. The camelback takes 3rd in my list. Not everyone carries a backpack, including yourself, as shown in some of the pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your feedback!

I'm will look into checking that out.

I do sometimes stumble and repeat things when they shouldn't be.

Thanks again!

Kudos to a teenager that can write properly!!!

I've just had a look at your blog and this was one of my first thoughts too. <_<

I'm no expert on blogs but to me it looks very good and your stories are well written. I wonder whether you're aware of the Online Geocacher ezine? You seem to enjoy writing and I bet they'd be pleased to have some material from you.

Well done. :laughing:

MrsB

Thank you!

I wasn't aware of the Geocacher ezine, but I will defiantly look into it!

Writing is something I enjoy doing, but I never had a good topic to write about that could be entertaining...until geocaching came along!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Nicely done. I love blogging as well, and if the geocaching hobby takes off with me as I think it will, I will probably include some geocaching posts in my blog(s).

Your posts, so far, have a pretty good ratio of pics-to-text. Enough pics to keep it interesting, and enough text to tell a story, without a snore. <_< You should put a little warning about spoilers though, even if you're not saying the name/exact locale. Someone in your area could easily catch on and miss out on some of their own discovering. Just a thought. Good job though.

Thank you for the tips.

Will defiantly think about some sort of spoiler alert.

I was going for a good picture to text ratio, without over-doing either one.

I'm glad you noticed!

Excellent work!

I have set up a link in The Online Geocacher to your blog in our Spotlight! section. These are the kind of stories our readers love.

See it at http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...-geocaching-log

If you have stories that you want to share you are welcome to submit them to our free ad-free online magazine. It's fine if you want to publish them in both your blog and The Online Geocacher.

We would love to have a story about anything of geocacher interest.

If you would like you can send me a brief bio and I will change the author information on that link from me to you.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Excellent work!

I have set up a link in The Online Geocacher to your blog in our Spotlight! section. These are the kind of stories our readers love.

See it at http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...-geocaching-log

If you have stories that you want to share you are welcome to submit them to our free ad-free online magazine. It's fine if you want to publish them in both your blog and The Online Geocacher.

We would love to have a story about anything of geocacher interest.

If you would like you can send me a brief bio and I will change the author information on that link from me to you.

Wow!

That is awesome! Thank you so much!

I will definitely remember this the next time I write a story about a trip.

I would love to publish my stories onto your online magazine for others to read.

Thanks again!

I'm looking at it after the edits you did, and I cannot say enough good things about it! You did such an AMAZING job! It's enjoyable to read, I love the pictures, and I think it's a very positive thing for a teen to do. I wish you the best of luck with it. Very nice :laughing:

I'm glad you enjoy it!

Thank you for the kind words!

Since everyone else is stroking you, I'll play devil's advocate.. and this is the same reason why I DON'T write all that often in my own blog. Improper use of puncutation.. commas. :)

If you are going to critique other folks writing then you really should learn to spell and use correct punctuation first. :huh:

An ellipses is three periods, not two.

Punctuation, not puncutation.

If you choose not to write because you don't do it well I can respect that, but to then fuss at others for that same weakness is a bit hypocritical! :laughing:

Hey fellow geocachers, I feel my blog has enough content now to make it "public!"

Please give me any opinions or criticism on what you feel I could add/do to make it better!

This is my first blog, so don't be to harsh! :laughing:

Link:

http://mygeocachinglog.blogspot.com/

Nick,

I actually really like the background picture. It gives the page a nice desert feel, and provides a nice context for your pictures. Speaking of pictures -- you have some very nice pictures there! I enjoyed glancing through them, and they made me want to be there too. When a photo makes you want to be there, it's a compelling one.

I'm not much on blogs, so I didn't read much, but it looks like you've had a good time recounting your adventures. Looks like a fun project for you!

Nice job.

Hey fellow geocachers, I feel my blog has enough content now to make it "public!"

Please give me any opinions or criticism on what you feel I could add/do to make it better!

This is my first blog, so don't be to harsh! :laughing:

Link:

http://mygeocachinglog.blogspot.com/

Nick,

I actually really like the background picture. It gives the page a nice desert feel, and provides a nice context for your pictures. Speaking of pictures -- you have some very nice pictures there! I enjoyed glancing through them, and they made me want to be there too. When a photo makes you want to be there, it's a compelling one.

I'm not much on blogs, so I didn't read much, but it looks like you've had a good time recounting your adventures. Looks like a fun project for you!

Nice job.

Thanks!

Yeah, writing is something I enjoy, so geocaching gives me something to write about!

Just got around to checking out your blog. Very well done! One of the better blogs I have seen on anything and definitely the best Geocaching blog I have seen.

Great work! Keep it up. I have bookmarked it and will check it out from time to time.

Thank you!

Those words mean a lot!

looks great visually, and you write well too

good job!

I have added it to the list of geo-blogs I follow in my reader

even though most, including yours, are based on the other side of the world from me, I still really enjoy reading about other people's caching adventures :laughing:

I appreciate the reason why you don't post the GC code or links to the actual cache page - spoilers etc - but I actually miss being able to click through to the cache page, read other peoples logs etc, so I wonder if you might rethink that policy one day, and maybe put the spoiler pictures, if there are any, after the jump so that people have the choice of whether they want to see them or not.

for example, I would have no problem viewing a spoiler on a cache in Nevada as the chances of me ever caching in Nevada are approximately zero :huh:

Sarah

Since everyone else is stroking you, I'll play devil's advocate.. and this is the same reason why I DON'T write all that often in my own blog. Improper use of puncutation.. commas. :)

If you are going to critique other folks writing then you really should learn to spell and use correct punctuation first. :)

An ellipses is three periods, not two.

Punctuation, not puncutation.

If you choose not to write because you don't do it well I can respect that, but to then fuss at others for that same weakness is a bit hypocritical! :D

Yep, I qualified my statement. Reading comprehension anyone? :D Besides, I said puctuation, not spelling. And don't forget my use of ellipses is not correct either.

Edited by bflentje

looks great visually, and you write well too

good job!

I have added it to the list of geo-blogs I follow in my reader

even though most, including yours, are based on the other side of the world from me, I still really enjoy reading about other people's caching adventures :D

I appreciate the reason why you don't post the GC code or links to the actual cache page - spoilers etc - but I actually miss being able to click through to the cache page, read other peoples logs etc, so I wonder if you might rethink that policy one day, and maybe put the spoiler pictures, if there are any, after the jump so that people have the choice of whether they want to see them or not.

for example, I would have no problem viewing a spoiler on a cache in Nevada as the chances of me ever caching in Nevada are approximately zero :D

Sarah

Thanks!

I will try to figure out someway to have the GC-code/link but have it hidden or some warning so only those that want it can see it.

Thanks for all the support, but I'm having a bit of a problem, and am not sure what to do.

The thing is, I checked my blog on 3 different browsers, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. The blog looks normal on Chrome, and Firefox, but completely messed up on Internet Explorer! I don't use Internet Explorer so had no idea this was happening. If I change it to look good for IE, it looks different on the other 2...so what should I do?

Any suggestions?