Proud Papa

Guest Markwell

Guest glenn95630

Markwell,

Any suggestions on how to make the following process easier? Let's say Joe picks up the travel bug in the Chicago area (where Joe lives) and will soon be going to Grants Pass, Oregon to visit his brother. He's not planning on any road trips while in Oregon so he wants to figure out which cache (or couple of caches) fits the 'vintage cache' requirement that is closest to Grants Pass.

It seems to me that he has to search by state to get a chronological list of caches. He can figure out which ones are old enough but then he has to click on each cache, then click MapBlast, to figure out where a cache is located. Or he could search for caches nearest Grants Pass (using a zip code) then click each cache to get details then look at the 'placed' date. Seems like a lot of clicking so I was wondering if there was a better procedure.

Glenn

Guest Markwell

I was originally going to e-mail Jeremy with the problem. My thought would be that he might be able to provide me with a specialized hyperlink that would query the database. The results would be show active caches placed on or before 5/3/2001, sorted and grouped by state, then sorted by latitude north to south (arbitrary, but it at least gets some type of geographical sort), with just enough information displayed. Then there'd be a hyperlink to each cache's page.

Here's an example of what I was thinking. I started looking at what it might take, and I thought it might be too much to ask of Jeremy for one travel bug.

Problem is, if I try to map the old caches and one gets archived, or if I come up with the same info I have for Illinois and Rhode Island for all of the caches and post it like I did my example above, the page will be out of date as soon as one gets archived.

It really needs to be a live query on the database each time someone is looking for a cache in which to place him.

Anyone have any better ideas?

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

Markwell,

Any suggestions on how to make the following process easier? Let's say Joe picks up the travel bug in the Chicago area (where Joe lives) and will soon be going to Grants Pass, Oregon to visit his brother. He's not planning on any road trips while in Oregon so he wants to figure out which cache (or couple of caches) fits the 'vintage cache' requirement that is closest to Grants Pass.

Or he could search for caches nearest Grants Pass (using a zip code) then click each cache to get details then look at the 'placed' date.

Actually, the placed date shows up on the left column next to the barrel icon, but the sort is by proximity.

I tried it with an example of Mt. Rushmore (43.8813 -103.4532 according to MapBlast.com). The closest qualifying cache is CLIFFCACHE (GC87E) placed 5/1/2001 at 14.97mi W, followed by Campcache (GC87F) placed 5/1/2001 at 19.97mi W.

while this type of search does give you the caches in the proximity, it doesn't limit it to caches placed within a certain date range (which is why I suggested the sort).

I'll mention this type of query on IlluvianSeknetG's page as well. I also have a e-mail into the J'man.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest glenn95630

Ooops! My poor memory. Yes, the date placed is on the left hand side near the 'barrel'.

The search is easy, very few clicks. As a side note, I searched from my zip code (95630) and the nearest vintage cache is 34 miles away (50 miles by car)and is the 155th closest cache to my zip code. The second vintage cache is 61 miles away (100 miles by car)and is the 226th closest cache.

Glenn95630