FTF & FTL

ycjapan

Today I was on the search site within 2 hours after the cache was published.

Quickly found, no log on the iPhone, I was on the way to register my first FTF.

The log showed, however, that one (actually two, together) GC found the cache a few minutes before I came.

I usually take a picture of the neighboring and quickly log the find thanks to the iPhone.

But I was wondering,

• should I log (saying explicitly I was not the 1st), the log being the 1st one in the list?
  • or should I wait for the FTF to log first?

What is the rule regarding this, and, more precisely, how works the "FTF" counter assignment?

Who does that? Or is it automatic?

first to log (online) doesn't mean much, if anything at all. there's no reason to wait for the FTFers to log. usually i state in my online log that i was second.

there is no FTF counter, gc.com doesn't know about FTFs at all. the various stats scripts/sites require you to either manually specify which caches you were FTF on, or put a certain phrase into the log so they can recognize that you were FTF.

Edited by dfx

Like dfx I usually say something. In your case I would say something like "well I wasn't the FTF but I am the FTL."

It all adds up to another found cache. If you are not in it for the numbers and you had a good time in the search, that's all that matters.

Have a great day!

FTF is a side competition played by a small segment of geocachers. There are no rules, there are no counters on this website. GC.com does not recognize FTFs. Most 3rd party stats applications have some sort of way of keeping count, usually by manual entry.

If you log first, you log first. No need to wait or even mention that you are not FTF. The FTF will most certainly mention that he was regardless of where his log falls on the page.

In fact I think one of the third party stat generators scans logs for the word FTF and will credit you for a FTF if you mention it at all in your log, even if you say you were NOT FTF (or used to).

The log showed, however, that one (actually two, together) GC found the cache a few minutes before I came.

I usually take a picture of the neighboring and quickly log the find thanks to the iPhone.

But I was wondering,

• should I log (saying explicitly I was not the 1st), the log being the 1st one in the list?

What is the rule regarding this, and, more precisely, how works the "FTF" counter assignment?

You would log the find online, just as you would any other find that wasn't a FTF the timing of when you log it does not matter at all JMHO

Scubasonic

In fact I think one of the third party stat generators scans logs for the word FTF and will credit you for a FTF if you mention it at all in your log, even if you say you were NOT FTF (or used to).

That would be GSAK with the proper macro.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

There will come a day when, like Groundspeak, you won't care about FTF or FTL.

It is a very liberating feeling.

Ive never cared about FTF's but I recently got my first one. I don't feel motivated to go for more.

There are a lot of people who do care and feel motivated to go for them.

Perhaps I should post this in the predictions thread but I believe Groundspeak will care about this aspect of Geocaching.

I predict... hmm... in about ten years or less there will be a separate log option that acknowledges FTF's.

That would be GSAK with the proper macro.

or http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/. but this one lets you define a certain phrase for FTF detection and specifically recommends against just using "FTF".

It sounds like the FTF is not that insignificant: after I posted the 1st log - saying I was the 2nd - the moderator (or so) changed the date of the FTF log - 1 day earlier - so that it was shown first.... see GC2DD45.

The funny thing is that the cache was initially published the Aug 15th, and the log / cache date is 14th :-)

But I was wondering,

If it's convenient we'll try for a FTF, but it really doesn't matter to me if we don't get it or if the STF posts a message first.