When do you report a TB or Geocoin Missing?

geocacheruk

Hi

How long do you wait to report a Geocoin or TB Missing. Also as it was not sign out of the log book I not sure if it fill out of the cache. I would not minded if the geocoin or TB was sign out in the logbook as I would known it would be in safe hands. :)

Edited by dunstanuk

If we visit a cache and there's a trackable (coin or TB) listed in the inventory and it's not there I'll mention it in our log and also on the trackable's own page e.g. "Trackable whatevername wasn't in the cache when we visited today".

That alerts both the cache owner and the trackable owner - either of them can mark the item as Missing (if it has indeed been absent for several weeks with no "retrieved" log.)

I make a brief note of such "missing" items and then try and remember to check back to the cache page 3/4 weeks later... If the item is still showing in the cache inventory then I'll usually try another direct email to the CO and/or trackable owner and explain briefly how they can mark the item "missing".

If it's still there after another couple of weeks then I heave a sigh... and ask a local reviewer if they could please remove it from the cache page!

MrsB

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

What happens if you mark it missing already? Also is there a database for lost Geocoins or TB's.

I last geocoin in Jan and it turn up on 29/07/2010 it is in hands a geocacher and Zombie Permit Geocoin still not listed just says in the hands of a geocacher. Is they any we can do about this?

What happens if you mark it missing already?

It goes into 'missing' limbo. If/when it gets found, it can be logged and it's back in the game.

(via a 'Grab' log)

Also is there a database for lost Geocoins or TB's.

Not that I'm aware of. Other than the trackables list on a cachers profile.

I lost a geocoin in Jan and it turn up on 29/07/2010 it is in hands a geocacher and Zombie Permit Geocoin still not listed just says in the hands of a geocacher. Is there any thing we can do about this?

You could try a very polite email. Sometimes life gets in the way of caching.

Or if they are caching, the caches are too small for the trackable.

If they are not active, sometimes reading previous logs of caches they have found can show if they cache/cached with someone else, who might respond to a very polite email.

What happens if you mark it missing already?

It goes into 'missing' limbo. If/when it gets found, it can be logged and it's back in the game.

(via a 'Grab' log)

Also is there a database for lost Geocoins or TB's.

Not that I'm aware of. Other than the trackables list on a cachers profile.

I lost a geocoin in Jan and it turn up on 29/07/2010 it is in hands a geocacher and Zombie Permit Geocoin still not listed just says in the hands of a geocacher. Is there any thing we can do about this?

You could try a very polite email. Sometimes life gets in the way of caching.

Or if they are caching, the caches are too small for the trackable.

If they are not active, sometimes reading previous logs of caches they have found can show if they cache/cached with someone else, who might respond to a very polite email.

This is becoming a growing epidemic, :)

in my area i have visited two caches recently that boost TB, only to not be found when i locate the cache

we need to educate new, and existing member of the proper ettiquette for transfering trackables, even though it is in the guidelines and several other places on the forums and website! how is the real question