Help, I don't exist!

Hi everyone,

I sent my first PM from this board the other day, but when the person tried to reply to me through the PM system, they got an error message which said the message couldn't be sent because I don't exist.

Well I have checked and double checked and can confirm that I do exist, although on which plane I'm not sure (I didn't do psychology at school, there was only an option for woodwork or home economics back then).

Have checked my settings on the board and I have PeeEmming enabled, no one is blocked and everything seems ok there.

In fact the disabling option says if set to 'Yes' you can't send or receive PM's. And I can send them just fine.

Sent another PM to someone else last night as a test, and they confirmed I do not exist.

I am beginning to worry now, as two people say I don't exist and there's only me claiming that I do.

I'm out numbered.

Has anyone come across this before and know what might be wrong?

Please do feel free to send me a test PM if you like to confirm whether or not I exist.

If the majority find that I don't, then you may not hear from me again :)

Cheers

Lovejoy

(Thanks MrsB for spotting the problem and the Two Bears for helping me test)

Before changing your username, try contacting Dorsetgal & GeoDog to see whether she has experienced this problem. (I have a very vague recollection of PMing her ages ago about something and not getting any reply... )

It would be a pity to have to change your username if there's some other way to correct this glitch. Maybe someone on the Website forum could help. :)

MrsB

Before changing your username, try contacting Dorsetgal & GeoDog to see whether she has experienced this problem. (I have a very vague recollection of PMing her ages ago about something and not getting any reply... )

It would be a pity to have to change your username if there's some other way to correct this glitch. Maybe someone on the Website forum could help. :)

MrsB

The & blocking PM is a known issue.

Yes, special characters such as an ampersand are a confirmed problem with the private message feature. It's a bug in the forum software. When Groundspeak switched to the new forum software in November 2003, it caused several geocachers to change their account names to remove the the special character from their account name.

Edited by BlueDeuce

it most certainly seems that the ampersand'&' is the problem as I just tried to send myself a PM and it says that I don't exist.

Just recieved an email from BlueDeuce who I sent a PM and he was unable to reply for the same reasons.

Surely if the PM system cant handle an & symbol why allow them in user names on the forum.

Oh dear would somebody tell the Tax man that I dont exist and then I can save some money. :)

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Thanks everyone for testing and thinking and looking up old posts and coming up with.....

.....THE ANSWER !!

And seemingly all this has been sorted while we have been out, erm, caching. I feel guilty now. Can someone who doesn't exist feel guilt? Gee I wish we'd had psychology and stuff when I was at school.

Had to do some caching today as next week is '"putting out a brand new series in a secret location which no one is supposed to know anything about yet" week-end so won't get to find any next Sunday. Oh, I don't think I was supposed to mention that, forget I said anything. No, it's OK I don't exist so I couldn't have said anything about the brand new series in a secret location which no one is supposed to know anything about yet.

Anyway...

I can rest easy knowing that I (we) DO exist but only without the &. With the & we are indeed persona non grata as far as the forum is concerned.

Don't think we'll change our name, I like the &

I can maybe live without receiving PMs - at least it reports an error, so people can tell it hasn't worked and can send me an email instead.

That's if anyone ever wants to talk to me. <_<

Thanks again for everyone's detective work.

Lovejoy

PS. Found an Excalibur coin today that's been on the road for 10 months, from Germany, and whose mission was to get to Tintagel. As luck would have it we were heading for Slaughterbridge so were able to place the coin in King Arthur Man or Myth (Tintagel) and fully achieve its mission. First time we have ever done that.

Thanks everyone for testing and thinking and looking up old posts and coming up with.....

.....THE ANSWER !!

And seemingly all this has been sorted while we have been out, erm, caching. I feel guilty now. Can someone who doesn't exist feel guilt? Gee I wish we'd had psychology and stuff when I was at school.

Had to do some caching today as next week is '"putting out a brand new series in a secret location which no one is supposed to know anything about yet" week-end so won't get to find any next Sunday. Oh, I don't think I was supposed to mention that, forget I said anything. No, it's OK I don't exist so I couldn't have said anything about the brand new series in a secret location which no one is supposed to know anything about yet.

Anyway...

I can rest easy knowing that I (we) DO exist but only without the &. With the & we are indeed persona non grata as far as the forum is concerned.

Don't think we'll change our name, I like the &

I can maybe live without receiving PMs - at least it reports an error, so people can tell it hasn't worked and can send me an email instead.

That's if anyone ever wants to talk to me. <_<

Thanks again for everyone's detective work.

Lovejoy

PS. Found an Excalibur coin today that's been on the road for 10 months, from Germany, and whose mission was to get to Tintagel. As luck would have it we were heading for Slaughterbridge so were able to place the coin in King Arthur Man or Myth (Tintagel) and fully achieve its mission. First time we have ever done that.

I don't think I just read this post, so I'm not sure why I'm sitting here laughing!

If anyone needs verification that you don't exist, you've even picked up a mythical GC for a mythical sword! Case proven.

:laughing:

I don't think I just read this post, so I'm not sure why I'm sitting here laughing!

If anyone needs verification that you don't exist, you've even picked up a mythical GC for a mythical sword! Case proven.

<_<

Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that. And we put it in a cache belonging to King Arthur (who probably didn't exist) next to Camelot Castle (which also probably didn't exist), in Tintagel (which probably doesn't exist as I can't have been there yesterday since I don't exist).

So yesterday was a whole day of non existance and myth.

And perhaps the "brand new series in a secret location which no one is supposed to know anything about yet so I mustn't mention it" is also just a myth. But I'm not allowed to mention it, I have been sworn to secrecy. Ssshhhh.

Another odd thing, I cannot get e-mail notification of new posts in this topic. I can get them in other topics by manually setting them up for each topic.

But ticking the option for automatic notifications of threads I have started or replied to does nothing, no notifications.

And when I try and mark this topic for email notifications it says "Error, you are already subscribed to this topic" but still no notifications.

Silly naughty forum.

BUT, THIS DID EXIST...

Rotel-Bus-Hotel.jpg

(hope that comes out ok)

We came across it (couldn't really miss it) on a back lane on the way to Tintagel. Had to do a double take then a triple take, couldn't quite believe what we were seeing. A coach with bedrooms stuck on the back.

Not your everyday sight on the roads around here.

Got home and looked it up, and yep it really does exist!!

... BUT, THIS DID EXIST...

Rotel-Bus-Hotel.jpg

(hope that comes out ok)

We came across it (couldn't really miss it) on a back lane on the way to Tintagel. Had to do a double take then a triple take, couldn't quite believe what we were seeing. A coach with bedrooms stuck on the back.

Not your everyday sight on the roads around here.

Got home and looked it up, and yep it really does exist!!

Nope. Can't see it myself. <_<

That doesn't exist either.

MrsB :laughing: