Delorme pn 60

I visited the Bass Pro Shop in Phoenix today to see the Garmin 62s hoping to see how it works since all the "reviews" here seem to be focused on the squeak and nothing else. I tried making the unit squeak and did hear a faint noise when the sides were pressed together............ I hope THAT isn't what all the stir is all about! If so, there are some pretty picky people around here! :)

While there I noticed the Delorme PN60 which looked to be a pretty slick unit. The unit booted right up, the screen was crystal clear and the salesman seemed pretty knowledgable about both it and the Garmin units and indicated that the pn60 was about on par with the 62s. He said it would download cache info from this forum just like the 62s and did "tracks" which I think might be helpful as well as having a pretty nice compass.

Does anyone here use the Delorme pn60 and have anything good (or bad) to say about it? Right now their is a $50 rebate so the price is attractive.

Sure would like to hear some good news about it from anyone using one

Regards

I visited the Bass Pro Shop in Phoenix today to see the Garmin 62s hoping to see how it works since all the "reviews" here seem to be focused on the squeak and nothing else. I tried making the unit squeak and did hear a faint noise when the sides were pressed together............ I hope THAT isn't what all the stir is all about! If so, there are some pretty picky people around here! :)

Regards

not it's not a faint squeak or creak, it's a loud squeak perhaps that will lead to more problems down the road.

here are a few links to videos on the squeaky case. like i said, not acceptable for a top of the line garmin GPSr

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4435818

do you have a link to the rebate for the PN60?

Edited by brucered

Going back to the original question ... I don't think there's anything particularly exciting about "Tracks" in the PN-60 vs. what the Garmin 62s does. If "tracks" on the PN-60 was some sort of selling point for the unit, can you explain further?

...Sam

I own a PN-60wSE, and it rocks. I have several Garmin units and they work fine, but the PN-60 represents in my opinion a next generation unit for sure. It is crazy fast and the map support from Delorme is unequaled. Those features along with Delorme's customer service dept sold me on the unit.

In the field it consistently receives WAAS lock faster than my 76Csx (same guts as 60Csx), and the accuracy is as good or slightly better than any other Garmin I have. I just wish it floated like my 76....

Going back to the original question ... I don't think there's anything particularly exciting about "Tracks" in the PN-60 vs. what the Garmin 62s does. If "tracks" on the PN-60 was some sort of selling point for the unit, can you explain further?

...Sam

I set my PN to record track points every 10 feet. Helps improve turn accuracy over Garmin set to auto most detailed or .01 miles. Also can do 20,000 point tracklogs with auto-start new tracks - load/save to card or internal memory.

The bigger advantage is that you can easily copy tracks in software to a draw layer to show them above any map/imagery shown in virtually an unlimited amount without affecting performance.

I currently have a draw file overlay of 188 "tracks" covering over 1,700 trail miles stretching from Ft Collins to Colorado Springs.

Don't have to spend more money or countless hours trying to create a transparent Garmin map overlay. Data layering and visibility is easily controlled.