GPS Kids

MN Runner

Looking to buy a GPS for a 9 year old so they can start caching. Suggestions would be very helpful.

Can your 9 year old use a cell phone? and a computer?

If not then give him a Cachmate Junior.

If he can then get him a regular GPS unit (I've got a eTrex Vista/ventura hXC) that I like and can use with minimal help. Granted I'm in my twenties, but not very computer savy at times.

*I use he as a general term.

Looking to buy a GPS for a 9 year old so they can start caching. Suggestions would be very helpful.

Can your 9 year old use a cell phone? and a computer?

If not then give him a Cachmate Junior.

If he can then get him a regular GPS unit (I've got a eTrex Vista/ventura hXC) that I like and can use with minimal help. Granted I'm in my twenties, but not very computer savy at times.

*I use he as a general term.

I'm a noob, too, but in our recent research, a lot of folks like Apishere Geomate Jr. for their kids. The reviews are great.

HTH

geomate junior

but from what i understand that is only best if you geocache with a geocache compatable gps yourself, as it guides them to the nearest cache you yourself may have to plan out the routes and research caches

:P ...but i quess thats a given because most 9 year olds arent out wondering around looking for hidden containers alone :)

Yea I'd also say the Geomate Jr but ONLY if they will be caching with you or someone else that has a full paperless GPS with them.

If not, I'd suggest the Garmin Oregon 200, they have really come down in price lately - or I also saw a new one made by Magellan that is geared towards Geocaching. Haven't tried it myself but it looks pretty nice.

Besides the Geomate Jr, Garmin's etrex Vista C is pretty easy to use, and being discontinued is fairly "cheap" online. You should check it out! You can still download coordinates from the computer to it, via USB cable by just clicking the "send to my GPS" link on each cache page.

This way as he/she gets older they will be able to understand and use bigger and better GPS's!